Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:46:33 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What happens when you drink a Coke. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happens when you drink a Coke.  (Read 3633 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: July 30, 2015, 09:06:52 AM »

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2015/07/29/graphic-showing-what-happens-to-persons-body-after-drinking-can-of-coca-cola-goes-viral/

Some highlights....

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.

2. 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment.)

3. 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.

4. 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.

5. 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

6. 60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.

7. 60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, p**sed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

I'd like to think that future generations will regard our present culture's mass consumption of soft drinks in the way that we look back on food being stored in lead containers, smoking when pregnant, and insulating schools with asbestos, but considering the way society is trending, the truth will probably be that by then they'll be into far worse things.  Or as Edward Gorey cheerfully put it: "Things do not get better, but worse."

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2015/07/29/graphic-showing-what-happens-to-persons-body-after-drinking-can-of-coca-cola-goes-viral/

Some highlights....

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.

2. 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment.)

3. 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.

4. 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.

5. 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

6. 60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.

7. 60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, p**sed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

I'd like to think that future generations will regard our present culture's mass consumption of soft drinks in the way that we look back on food being stored in lead containers, smoking when pregnant, and insulating schools with asbestos, but considering the way society is trending, the truth will probably be that by then they'll be into far worse things.  Or as Edward Gorey cheerfully put it: "Things do not get better, but worse."

Buggedout Buggedout

* Hurriedly drops Coke bottle into wastepaper basket *  Drink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 09:26:07 AM »

*pours another glass

(But I actually graduated to Diet Dr. Pepper a couple years back after 45 years of drinking nothing but the genuine article!)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »

You know this is interesting... I'm prone to migraines/cluser headaches, and one of the warning signs is a total crave for Coke, a huge super icy Coke.  I don't  normally drink it, and when I want one, I always worry.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:48:11 PM »

Drinking a Coke right now.  Yay!  Drink

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »

Sugar-free Mountain Dew for me!  All the caffeine and none of that...wait my hands are shaking too much to type anymore  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 06:13:10 AM »

Sugar-free Mountain Dew for me!  All the caffeine and none of that...wait my hands are shaking too much to type anymore  TeddyR

sssssipppppinnnggggg aaaaannnnnnnoooottthhhherrrrr Cccccccooookkkkkeeeee...  Drink

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 09:26:17 AM »

Back in high school my bud Rob put a dead mouse from a trap in a two-liter of Coke and said, "Watch, by tomorrow it'll dissolve down to bones and hair." He was so wrong it's scary, and, Kyrie eleison, the smell of that bloated, waterlogged mouse after he unscrewed the cap lives on in memory...

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 12:14:53 AM »

For thirty years, I drank Dr. Pepper to the tune of about a half a gallon or more per day.

Somehow I am still alive and kicking.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 08:31:21 PM »

There has been a correction to that infographic circulating.  Apparently a lot of the science in the original is inaccurate.  It's still not 'good' for you, but it does not do what they said it does.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/heres-whats-wrong-with-that-viral-coca-cola-graphic#.mn30LdZ1Z

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:44:39 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »

Yeah, there's a lot of misinformation out there stirring people up.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »

It's still not 'good' for you, but it does not do what they said it does.

If I have to drive a long distance and need to keep awake, I have a bottle or two of Coke in the car. Never failed me yet.  Drink

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:36 AM »

Yeah, there's a lot of misinformation out there stirring people up.

BounceGiggle  Apparently!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »

(Because as we all know, diabetes and tooth decay, obesity and heart disease, hyperactivity and insomnia, cancer and mood disorders, kidney failure and epidemic levels of candida infestation among Americans have no known link to the consumption of soft drinks.)

Jim H

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 09:15:37 PM »

As always, moderation and regular physical activity is best.  Reminds me of the documentary about the guy getting gastric bypass who drank over a gallon of cola a day. Yeesh. 

Worth noting, drink a gallon of any drink with calories in it a day and you'll find some bad health ramifications.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What happens when you drink a Coke. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.