Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:37:00 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  TRUE DETECTIVE (HBO) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TRUE DETECTIVE (HBO)  (Read 3786 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: August 10, 2015, 12:40:13 AM »

Has anyone else followed this remarkable crime series on HBO?
It's run two seasons so far; each season is a self-contained story with an all-new cast.
The first season featured Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConahay as two police detectives investigating
a bizarre ritual murder that took place in rural Louisiana.  The story was told in a series of flashbacks, from
1995 to modern times.  It was bleak and bloody, but still a fascinating mystery.

Season two was about the murder of a city manager in a suburb of Los Angeles known as Vinci.  It starred
Vince Vaughn as a local minor kingpin and Colin Ferrell and Rachel McAdams as two detectives investigating
the murder.  While it was fascinating, this was one of the most depressing and bleak series I have ever watched.
The season finale tonight was a complete downer. 

I'll be interested to see if they do a third season or not.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:49:51 AM »

I liked the setting for the first season better, and Woody Harrleson and Matthew McConahey were perfect.  The only thing I didn't like was the long, drawn out scenes with the investigators talking with Woody and Matthew at separate times.

The second series featured good acting by all but I felt Vince Vaughan was best.  But again, I felt the setting of industrial southern California wasn't as interesting as the creepy New Orleans setting with the bizarre murders in the first season.  And I missed the knockout body of the girl Woody Harrelson was seeing behind his wife's back (Alexandra Daddario)!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:24:05 AM »

For an HBO series, Season 2 had surprisingly little sexual content and nudity.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 09:24:25 AM »

Still got 5 eps of the second season waiting to be watched. Till now it's pretty decent, but nowhere near as good as the phenomenal first season.

Neville

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »

I keep reading elsewhere that this second season has been disappointing. Hell, if they call this a failure, I want to see more like this one.

So OK, no character stood up to what Mattew McConaghey achieved in season 1, but that was to be expected. I found Colin Farrell's performance getting better with every episode, Vince Vaughn was spot on and Rachel McAdams has never been better.

The plot on the other hand didn't work well enough. Looks to me that they were aiming to a everybody-is-dirty James Ellroy-like plot, but it was hard to follow and not very well told. At least they provided us with enough bloodshed and face-to-face conversations.

And I could have done without that much action on the final episodes. The action was well done and everything, but it jjust felt a little desperate, like a final effort to draw in viewers, and the show didn't need that.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Bushma

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:54:03 AM »

Still got 5 eps of the second season waiting to be watched. Till now it's pretty decent, but nowhere near as good as the phenomenal first season.

Yup, same here.  I have more of season 2 to watch but I'm not where near as into it as I was with the first season.  Season 1 Episode 1 had me hooked right at the start.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »

I kinda hope they do a third season though . . .  How about having Johnny Depp and John Travolta paired up?
That would make for one interesting show!  Maybe Eva Green for the eye candy?

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:28:42 PM »

The first season was fine until the ending. I had difficulty appreciating the following season and stopped watching after the second episode.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  TRUE DETECTIVE (HBO) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.