Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:06:10 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Death « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Death  (Read 4544 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: September 03, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »

Is it a total ending, a new beginning, or a continuation in another form? It has to be one of those, doesn't it?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Skull
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55:35 AM »

Death is the greatest mystery that's often answered when you die.

Death is also the foundation of every religion and every anti-religion (yes atheist has a concept on what happens after death - even the thought of 'nothing happens' is an assumption on their part.)
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »

I personally think it's a transformation into a new form and a reuniting with those who have gone before us.

But who can say for certain?  We have to wait until we die before we know for sure what comes after this life.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »

Thanks, guys.

I've personally known people whom I trust, who had brushes with death and spoke of the white light experience, being out of body, seeing deceased loved-ones, seeing living loved-ones in distant places, and first-hand it's more impressive than some account off TV.

But I know when I nearly checked out at age fifteen (my blood pressure could not have been much lower, I was going into cardiac arrest, it was just about lights out) I later felt cheated because I didn't have any of that. I just felt cold and everything faded into brightness and there was nothing else that I remember, just....blankness, no recollection, but then again I wasn't "dead" just dying, and it didn't go on long at all until I revived, but I used to feel like I got ripped off, going through that without even a good "other side" story.

Then again, when I had my first daughter, during the worst of that pain, I had this weird moment, just a second, where I swear I was looking down at myself from a few feet above. I remember that perfectly, it was as real as being in the room where I am right now, and it was shocking. So I can't completely discount the possibility that consciousness can leave the physical body. (Or that we can have the illusion that it does.)

In a non-morbid way I have been pondering death a lot lately. Thanks again for your thoughts on the topic.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:11:20 PM »

Death is a doorway, not a wall.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 04:07:41 PM »

Strange, is it not? that of the myriads who
Before us pass'd the door of Darkness through,
Not one returns to tell us of the Road,
Which, to discover, we must travel too.

Verse forty-nine, The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
as "translated" by Edward FitzGerald.

Omar's cynicism is interesting. Think about that. Even Jesus, about whom a good case for bodily resurrection can be made, and toward whom I feel a much stronger logical devotion than a faithful one, didn't exactly lay out a road map of what the moment of death is like.

The Egyptian Book of the Dead does, but I don't think it claims to be a record of someone who went over and returned. And it's a little depressing to think of death being a race through crocodile-infested reeds.

I think the best grasp of the western concept of death comes from a commentary on The Tibetan Book of the Dead: "In the Occident, where death is much feared, the art of dying is little practiced."

Barring accidents, which can happen to anyone and too often do, I think if I live through the next two to three years, I will live to be old indeed. I can play six sets of tennis in one afternoon and still handle three young children on four hours sleep a night, all with 110/70 blood pressure. But what I can't handle is someone, say, shooting me in the head over a lawsuit I'm involved in as a witness, because there's a razor's edge between being useful to people and being detrimental to them. Life's plain hilarious sometimes, and a recurring theme in my existence is it's always the best and worst of times at once.

So I think about death anymore, a lot, not in a depressed way, just....thinking about it as this one mystery not one of us knows the answer to, we can only believe and hope we do. I can't decide if death is the most important thing we can ever think about in our lives, or if death is (as I think B.F. Skinner posited) the ONE thing we should never think on. But for the last month it has been a preoccupation of mine.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 08:18:08 PM »

My dear friend, I have a sneaking suspicion you may outlive us all.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 06:53:31 AM »

In the book of Ecclesiastes, Solomon wrestles with the question of death in a similar way to you, ER. The one certainty he concludes is that death is where everyone is headed. He doesn't claim to know whether there is even a difference between the death of animals and man. He asks whether it is possible to know that the spirit of man goes one way and the beast another. The good man and the wicked man both die. One may labor intensely and gather up many things, but when he dies, there is no telling whether the one who inherits those things will handle them wisely or foolishly. The basic conclusion he comes to through his search is to enjoy life and to fear God.

Be the best person you can be, work while you can, and take what enjoyment you can while you can enjoy it. One day, age and health may prevent your enjoyment of some things, so don't put things off for too long. Enjoy your family, because kids grow up and move on. These are all lessons from Ecclesiastes, some of which I personally learned, and some of which I never did. I still live more for the future, planning things to do, than I do in the present, enjoying my life. Somewhere in my head, I'm still convinced that I'm going to be famous and rich, even though I know the reality is that is not likely.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »

Thanks, indy and Derf! I'll try to live up to your confidence, indy, lol. On a beautiful morning after a lovely night, it's harder think on certain big themes than it was on an empty afternoon. And, Derf, Ecclesiastes is my favorite book of the Bible, you're spot-on in all you wrote, and you've inspired me to re-read that sometime soon.

A happy, memory-making Labor Day to all!

diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 03:11:42 PM »

For me, death is not the end but a transition into the afterlife. How we lived our lives determines what awaits us on the other side whether it be pleasant or horrifying (or perhaps something in the middle for those who believe in places like purgatory and limbo).

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here who believes in reincarnation? I'd love to hear their thoughts on it.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 04:01:18 PM »

For a lot of my life reincarnation was something I more or less accepted. It appealed to me a great deal, even if it meant I would have a 40% chance of coming back as either Indian or Chinese in my next life!

When I was eighteen I took part in hypnotic past life regression experiments under a psychology professor of Indian descent, was apparently a particularly good hypnotic subject, and on one unpleasant occasion did "future life progression" with him which was highly awful, I reported being a small child in war-torn Africa, and to the professor, being able to "progress" someone brought up the idea that, as Hindus say, all time is now.  I do know reliving the past, even negative events was like recalling something over and done, but seeing what I laid there and said was still coming was like knowing you could not avoid what was ahead, and it upset me so much I didn't do that again.

In one of the regressions, I saw myself as in what I identified as Persia about three-hundred years ago, where I was killed taking care of horses as a young child. Another time I was an old woman in what seemed to be Holland in roughly the Reformation era, and a cart came down a street where I was walking with two small grandsons, and I was run down and died lying face down on cobbles, stomped by a horse, or horses. In this life I have always had an inexplicable fear of horses. They terrify me! My best friend growing up loved them, I shake around them.

I had a vivid regression and told of living my apparently last past life in what may have been Biloxi, Mississippi, where I died of typhoid as a small child. I had the feeling I was from a family with money, it was early in the 1900s, and a housekeeper seemed to be raising me more than my mother. When I/the little girl, was sick in bed and dying, the maid hung wet sheets in the open windows to make the room cooler. All possibly a fantasy of my state of mind, but I do know accents like Elvis' and Deep Southern dialects have always made me uneasy. Who knows?

As I remember I talked about maybe twenty alleged past incarnations, and wrote them all down in my diary when I came home. This was back in 1997 between when I left high school and began college, or I should say left home for college that summer. It was an odd summer!

I know I have felt strongly that I have known people I just met, once it was exactly, we both agreed, like taking up where we left off, and I have no explanation for our connection.

And I also know I am pulled almost too strongly to London, which I somehow knew my way around on my first visit. I also had an odd sense that things had been changed there, which felt totally wrong. I was close to a Texan in the last decade who felt he was once a member of a Plains Indian tribe, and also that shortly before he was born, he died in Vietnam. So I guess reincarnation is in my background.

Reincarnation makes a good deal of sense considering the seemingly unfair nature of life as we see it unfolding, but then again, some can say the current world population versus the available bodies at less populated times past may argue against it.

If reincarnation (or anything else) is real, it happens whether I accept it or not, but sometime in the last....well, in this decade, I found its appeal dulling, and the idea of either ceasing to exist with ultimate finality, or better yet, perhaps passing into a "happier place" where I can eternally be with my loved-ones to be comforting, and of any scenario, it is the one I hope for the most.

316zombie
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 04:49:55 PM »

i am a firm believer in reincarnation and the wheel of life. and the concept of karma as well, although i'm wiccan.
  ER, i've always felt that most phobias, like yours with horses and mine being claustrophobia, definitely relate to how we died in a past life, especially when they aren't overwhelming. yours isn't, neither is mine most of the time. but i do have to say that i've had a few experiences with claustrophobia that literally froze me with fear, and i was fortunate that someone i was with saw that and got me out before i lost my mind completely.
  BUT, let me say that i also believe that once you have passed through all the notches on the life wheel, you DO end up in a good place, with those you've loved that have made it there too.
  i'm a cook in a bar&grill, i work days. i recently met the new night cook, a woman about 15 years younger than myself. i "knew" her immediately, and she feels the same way. her manner of speaking, physical mannerisms, some of her phrasing is so reminiscent of my maternal grandmother, who died in my arms when i was 11. she says that even though i'm older than her, she feels (her word) " maternal" towards me, which is funny, since everyone calls me mamabear.
  the thing that REALLY got to both of us though, it happened just this past thursday. i was working late and she came in to work and brought me some home made coffee ice cream. she said she was making ice cream and it came to mind that i'd like some coffee ice cream. she was kind of hesitant/embarrassed because she didn't even know if i like coffee, you know?
   my gram used to make me coffee ice cream as a special treat for my birthday.....life is strange.
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 10:18:42 PM »

What if it's just nothing? I've often wondered if that's it. It's just eternal darkness and nothing else happens. An even scarier thought is like the Tales From The Crypt episode where your mind still exists, you are aware of everything, but cannot move, breath or see.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 12:21:46 PM »

Since its this forum... Death is the intermission before reel 2.

I'm torn... I'm not really into the afterlife as reward or punishment deal.  But maybe we all end up in the afterlife we earn.
If so theres some TV preachers who probably had a huge surprise. 

Personally,
I'd really like to visit my grandmother again.  So I like to imagine I'll end up there, at least for dinner. 

I also like the idea of reincarnation.. Either as something else, or as your own personal universe rebooting.

Anyway I really can't say, and will know soon enough.  I'd prefer to live every minute with my girls to the fullest then go with no regrets.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 01:44:56 AM »

Death?
Death is road kill.
Your dead.
Is there life after death-?
I am an atheist-do I think death is the end?
I honestly dont know.
I would hope so-if not we're all roadkill. Which may be the horrible truth.
That NO ONE wants to believe-thats why we have religion-be good in this world-youll die in the next is a scare tactic.
We all die-I dont think anything goes on after we leave this body.
Yoy sleep forever-which aint a bad thing. Its not scary-you arnt afraid when your dead.
Theres nothing on the radio when yer dead.THAT sucks! Thumbdown

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Death « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.