Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:12:30 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Piers Anthony « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Piers Anthony  (Read 4530 times)
pennywise37
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 03, 2015, 07:08:10 PM »

any fans on here? he's a favorite author of mine. i was talking to someone on another site who said that all his books are pretty much the same just different characters. well i dunno about that i haven't read all his books yet. but i think he has done a great majority of different books. but than like i said i haven't read them all yet. they also made a comment on how Xanth at some point started to repeat itself and yeah i can see that. but than i haven't read all those books either. i'm Currently Reading "A Spell For Chameleon ' his (1977) 1st book in the Xanth Series, it is really different than the later books with talk about Rape, something i don't think is mentioned again at some point. but than this is the 1st time i've read any of his books in like 10 years so i may be wrong.

any fans on here? i've been a fan of his for the past 20 years. and this book i don't think i've read since i think either the early 2000's. or the late 90's. so it's been that long! i didn't care for it the 1st time i read it. i didn't start reading the series in the right order. i'm hoping to like it better the 2nd time around. and i haven't really made my mind up yet mainly cause i'm not even 100 pages into it yet. so until i'm done with it i'll give my opinion on it when i'm done with it of course
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 12:14:58 AM »

I used to enjoy his stuff, until I got to his novel FIREFLY.

Its glorification of pedophilia was a complete turnoff. Hatred

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »

In ninth grade I read the first three or four Xanth books, and enjoyed them. For some reason I wasn't able to get into Ogre, Ogre, and stopped there, but in college I did read some of his Geodyssey series and liked them at first but I thought they got repetitive and never got back into them after the first two titles. His style is readable and he's a good storyteller, but I haven't looked into his work in about fifteen years..

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 10:18:44 AM »

I swore of Anthony after Firefly.

"Oh, no, this four year old girl is raping me!  I'm helpless to prevent it!"

Later ...

"Oh, no, the monster is crawling into my ass!  But it feels kind of good, I'll just let it do its thing."

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
pennywise37

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 02:24:17 PM »

i have firefly on paperback i just haven't gotten around to read it to be fair. and really one book? i don't think any book has ever turned me off an author just cause i think the book is bad or the subject matter either. Ogre, Ogre is a good one i think. when it comes to all authors i love, i don't expect to love or even enjoy all their books they will no doubt have bad ones at some point. and he's got his fair share of bad books. "The Ring' is one of them for example a great idea and most of the novel works. but the ending is what ruined it for me. some of his books are like that. but than you can say that about any author pretty much.

if that's what firefly is about i wonder why he even wrote that one?
pennywise37

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:10:56 PM »

I am currently reading A Spell for Chameleon the very 1st Xanth Novel and it yes it written VERY differently than his later stuff. i haven't read this in years and it's a better book the 2nd time around i think.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 05:07:26 AM »

I read one of his novels many years ago. Can't remember the title, but it was about refugees fleeing from one planet to another. Other than their being a lot of raping going on by space pirates, I don't remember much about the story and it didn't really get me looking out more of his stuff.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
pennywise37

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »

well that might be his bio of a space tryant series. i have some of those, and i have read about half of the 1ts part and i didn't really care for that book to be honest, if it's the right one i'm thinking of, or rather the one you are talking about.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 12:25:06 AM »

He has a well-defined fade out.  The first book or two in a series will be good, and then it's downhill from there.

A Spell for Chameleon is awesome.  So is Split Infinity, and so is On A Pale Horse.  Even the first Battle Circle book I like.
His ideas are well realized and original, generally.

His style is sophomoric in a certain way- - aimed at the teenaged 46 XY, pretty much.  But the pedo references do tend to creep in.  "Peeking cleft" this and "distaff" that and "nubile" another.  

Some of his bad books are just plain awful.  (e.g. Ghost, Proctoscope or whatever it was called, Firefly, many others.)

If I were gonna recommend his books I'd read

1.  Original first few Xanth books, maybe the first three.  On second thought, let's say first nine -- up to "Golem in the Gears."  But I'd say A Spell For Chameleon is his best book, of what I've read.
2.  Original Phaze trilogy.  Not, I repeat, not the later ones.  Just up to "Juxtaposition."
3.  Battle Circle.
4.  Incarnations of immortality, especially book 1, but maybe up to "For the Love of Evil" which was not wholly dreadful.  I think that was #6.
pennywise37

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 08:46:56 PM »

when i started really getting into him it was years before i got around to even get around to the very early novels in the series of Xanth, and it wasn't cause i avoided them at all. it was cause our stores didn't sell them so i'd have to get them/order them from our Libary sorry for some reason i always spell that wrong.

anyways so i have read a lot of the later books. and everyone has their favorites in the series or favorite and that's fine. but Question Quest is my favorite and that's the 14th Novel in the series. i can't answer about the ones he's written in the last 15 years cause i haven't read those to be fair.    so those may suck,

but the ones i've read the most of are the Xanth series. those are my favorites of his. i don't get why he would put that into his books to be honest. i've been reading his authors notes, and his letters on his official  website all together for 20 years. and from what i've read from what he's written he's against doing that to children, why he wants to even add that in any of his novels i have no idea?  but that's going by what he's publicy written and not anything i've ever heard him say. since i've never met the man in my life. but i haven't read enough of his work to give a long list of his books that are utter crap to be fair.

but you are going to have any author put out a good number of bad books,. that's the way i look at it. even Stephen King who is my favorite author of all time has done his fair share of bad books. i'm still reading A Spell For Chameleon i'm on Chapter 13 and oddly it's taken me longer to read this one than it did to read Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. that book took me only 15 days to read that one it has to be about a month or near that on A Spell For Chameleon

which means to me is that it isn't one of the best in the series. but i don't think it's a terrible book at all. it being written differently is noticeable as well.

also all the swearing as well is noticeable as well compared to the later novels. and is is a better book the 2nd time than it was the 1st to be fair.

i think most people who read the Xanth Series may start at the 1st book but i never did so that may be why it's not one of my favorite ones? i dunno i'm just guessing on that.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Piers Anthony « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.