Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:24:27 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Movies That Are Overrated/Underrated/Just Right « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Movies That Are Overrated/Underrated/Just Right  (Read 1570 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: September 08, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »

Overrated: Erin Brokovich, Star Trek, all the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Pretty Woman, Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Platoon, Taxi Driver, The Dark Knight Returns, World War Z, Crash, Dances With Wolves, Reds, The African Queen, Django Unchained, Ghost, The Passion of the Christ, Braveheart, Insidious, The Shining, Jaws, all James Bond movies, most Al Pacino movies, the recent Hobbit trilogy, AND almost all super hero movies.

Underrated: Eyes Wide Shut, The Phantom Menace, The 1977 Hobbit (haha), The Lion in Winter, The Thin Red Line, Sid and Nancy, LA Confidential, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, Mars Attacks, The Village, Metroland, The Age of Innocence, The Last Temptation of Christ, Apocolypto, Mermaids, The Wall, Twilight, Excalibur, The Hurt Locker, Dogs In Space, Starship Troopers, The Virgin Suicides, AND almost all of Gary Oldman's movies.

Just Right: Forbidden Planet, Beetlejuice, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Oklahoma, Titanic, Schindler's List, The Princess Bride, The Lion King, The Sixth Sense, The Quiet Man, The Usual Suspects, Heathers, High Noon, To Kill A Mockingbird, Saving Private Ryan,  Pee Wee's Big Adventure, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Heat of the Night, The Hunger Games, Austin Powers, A River Runs Through It, AND every Harry Potter movie.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 01:22:39 AM »

The Shining

That is without doubt IMO the most overrated movie ever. Easy logic with it: if you haven't read the book, the movie is great. If you have read the book, the movie is terrible.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Skull
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »

Interesting but what is your definition for Overrated, Underrated and Just Right?

* I'm not sure if anybody liked Erin Brovovish (although I'm not really a Julia Roberts fan so I wouldnt know)

* Star Trek is more of a Star Trek fan movie... (If your not a fan of the movie your not going to like it)

* Pirates of the Caribbean (well the first 2 were cool, and I would go and say the first one movie was 'Star Wars' good... I sort of lost interested in the series in part 3)

* Pretty Woman... Similar to Star Trek... you need to be a Julie Roberts/Richard Gere fan to like it.

* Citizen Kane... Well who said that Movie Critics cannot be nerds too...

* The Godfather, Platoon, Taxi Driver (So you don't like these stories?)

* The Dark Knight Returns (Doesn't this qualify as 'almost all super hero movies'?)

* World War Z... Yeah, I didn't like the story. On the other hand, we are looking for an awesome zombie movie! (Wait until my book 'HIM' hits the market this October... zombie stories will be changed for the good!)

* Crash (Never got into the movie)

* Dances with Wolves (almost as boring as English Patient... almost...)

* Reds (I had not see Reds but I ended up watching Reds 2 because it was my mother-in-laws favorite film)

* The Passion of the Christ (I think there is artistic value in the movie but I didnt see it as of yet)

* Braveheart (I remember enjoying it, but I'm not sure why)

* Insidious (Have not seen it)

* The Shining (Cute Halloween-ish movie. It does seem long and has creepy moments. Although, I originally thought the story was about cabin fever... I had not read the book yet)

* Jaws (I think it was an awesome move for 1970's but I find it hard to believe today because the shark is in the water and people don't need to be in the water)

* All James Bond Movies... Ok I don't like any of the new James Bond films, they seemed to be edited for those with ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) but it seemed that 90% of the Action/Horror films are being made this way. There is only a few old bond films that I didn't like... The Living Daylights (1987) does come to mind; although I think Timothy Dalton was awesome in Licence to Kill (1989).

* Al Pacino (Reason why Godfather is on the overrated list?)

* the recent Hobbit trilogy (I think you have a point... I had a hard time to sit through the first Hobbit movie... so far I had not watched the whole movie)

* AND almost all super hero movies... I do agree it's getting tiresome that there is almost 5 to 10 superhero movies coming out every year... but that's because the miracles of CGI and it's affordable cost...

wow... :)

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 09:30:58 AM »

A lot of the movies I said were overrated are good movies, I just meant they maybe get too much praise, and many are better than the underrated ones, I just meant those don't get enough praise.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Skull
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »

A lot of the movies I said were overrated are good movies, I just meant they maybe get too much praise, and many are better than the underrated ones, I just meant those don't get enough praise.

lol I kind of sense that, but I thought it would be cool if you posted your definition and then followed it with your list.

I do agree that a good number of films are overviewed and overrated but they do make cult films more special. :)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:57:38 AM »

Whiplash. Thought it was a movie about a***oles who do terrible things to each other and I couldn't get into it despite it being an otherwise excellently made movie.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
claws
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »

Overrated - The Butterfly Effect (2004), Silent Hill (2006), Gremlins 2 (1990), Unbreakable (2000), Magnolia (1999), Blow Out (1981), Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

Underrated - Poltergeist 2 (1986), Cabin Fever (2002), The Sender (1982), Deadly Blessing (1981)

Just right - The Shining (1980)  Smile
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 03:11:47 PM »

Underrated or Overrated?

brotherhood of the wolf
moonlight mile
o' brother. where art thou?
snow falling on cedars
beloved
Tim Burton's nightmare before Xmas
Bram Stoker's Dracula
the fisher king
vampire's kiss
the mission
return to Oz
lair of the white worm

Each year, at the end of the year, the critics come out with their "Best Films of the Year" and their "Worst Films of the Year." These dozen films made both lists. I don't know what that says about critics, but . . .?! one does notice that most of these films are slightly different than the normal movie fare. I enjoyed all 12. Thus, obviously, they are just right for me.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 09:10:05 PM »

To me:

Overrated: Hollywood blockbusters, popcorn movies, action movies (still love'em though), modern horror movies, Oscar winning fare post 1996 , most disaster films, modern era comedy films

Underrated: 1950s Sci-Fi, 1990s Sci-Fi, 1930s Horror, 1960s Horror, 1970s Horror, 1970s Sci-Fi, 1960s Sci-Fi, Fantasy films, Film Noir, Crime/Mystery films from the 30s-50s, biographical films, sports films, 1980s comedies, 1940s comedies

Just right: Oscar winning fare pre-1996
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:22:40 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Movies That Are Overrated/Underrated/Just Right « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.