Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:21 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Runaway (1984) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Runaway (1984)  (Read 5706 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 11, 2015, 08:45:54 PM »

Tom Selleck vs. Gene Simmons.

It's a few years in the future and robots have become commonly used, almost to "Star Wars" levels.  Tom Selleck is Detective Ramsey, a cop on the "Runaway Squad", which deals with haywire robots.  There've been quite a few of those lately, and they all seem to have some kind of third-party processor chip installed.  A little investigation revels that Gene Simmons has been going around to people's homes under the guise of a repairman and installing the chips in their robots.  He's doing this as a trial run for his eeeeeeeeeeeeevil terrorist computer chips, which can be used to turn any robot into a murder machine.  Oh, and he's also got acid-spraying spider robots, plus a gun with homing bullets.  Det. Ramsey and his rookie partner are going to have a hell of a time stopping him.

This movie is bad, so bad, but in most of the right ways.  The biggest thing is Gene's homing bullets.  They work by homing in on the target's unique thermal signature, so all the killer has to do is point his gun in the general direction of his target and the bullet will do the rest.  So far, so good, right?  Well, the bullets are about the size of .50 BMG rounds, yet they are fired from what appears to be a regular 1911-type pistol with custom grips.  In other words, the bullets themselves are as big as the entire damn gun they're supposed to be coming out of.  They're represented in flight by - are you ready for this - black smudges on the film!  They couldn't even bother to build a "flying" prop, they just drew a vaguely bullet-shaped smudge on the film with a magic marker!  The cops also act like Gene having these bullets is worse than him having a nuke (in so many words)!  I dunno, a bullet that only kills one, specific target seems a whole lot better than a NUKE that would kill tens of thousands indiscriminately in one go.

We're on somewhat firmer ground with the robots.  For the most part, they look like redresses of toy robots you'd find at Toys-R-Us ca. 1984.  Others look like someone went apes**t with an erector set.  Sure, it's silly, but it's also believable, since they're all made of real-world parts that actually would work the way they're supposed to.  Gene's spider-robots steal the show, of course.  They're all anyone who has ever seen this movie remembers about it, for good reason.  Although, I've got to say, they'd be a lot less dangerous if people didn't pick them up and hold them against their throats.  His robot death cars are, uh, not as good.  There was a part in one of the Dirty Harry movies where the villain chased Harry's car through L.A. with a remote controlled toy car.  Well, that happens here, too, except there are a bunch of exploding toy cars and the good guys shoot them with lasers.

As far as being an action picture, Runaway ... eh.  There's a fairly good scene of Ramsey stalking a babysitter robot that has gotten hold of its owner's .357 (though they foley in the sound of a shotgun being racked every time it shoots).  Aside from that, there's the toy car death chase, a standoff where Ramsey lets Gene go because he's using a woman for cover (even though they're standing so close Ramsey's gun is practically against Gene's head), and a shootout at an outdoor eatery (where Gene's super bullets prove incapable of penetrating a plastic lawn table).  The best action scene is definitely the last, where Ramsey pursues Gene through an under-construction skyscraper.  The circumstances of the chase trap Ramsey in a construction elevator full of Gene's spider-robots, which means he has to crawl outside of it to escape them.  Did I mention that Ramsey is afraid of heights?  If you are, too, this scene will probably make you puke.

Runaway is definitely worth it for fans of either Tom Selleck or Gene Simmons (I am both).  Tom's his usual, reliably entertaining self.  Gene seriously does a great job here.  He played a few bad guys during the 80s, and I wish he was still at it today, instead of appearing as "himself" in a lot of crap.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 03:04:20 AM »

Sounds great, I've never heard of it. Will have to investigate...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »

Pretty good review. Long time since I've seen this but recall enjoying it on a bad movie level. Actually I own this still on VHS.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 01:56:41 AM »

I humbly confess before my brothers and sisters here that I liked it. Especially this scene where I nearly bit my tongue in two in fright  Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 01:58:46 AM »

Gene seriously does a great job here.  He played a few bad guys during the 80s, and I wish he was still at it today, instead of appearing as "himself" in a lot of crap.

Agreed: he was also great as Malik Al-Rahim in the Gary Sherman film Wanted Dead Or Alive with Rutger Hauer where he had a grenade shoved in his mouth.  Buggedout

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:02:50 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 02:18:03 AM »

Oh man, I loved that movie.  In my defense, I was in my early teens.  Just barely.  Will try to find it and watch it again.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 10:55:57 AM »

This thread needs a trailer.

Small | Large

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Skull
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »

Awesome movie but the robots look like toys. I would love to see this story remade with deadlier robots :)
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »

Awesome movie but the robots look like toys. I would love to see this story remade with deadlier robots :)

Some of them were toys.  I'm pretty sure I say those spiders in a store when I was younger.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Archivist

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »

Kirstie Alley in a bra?  Shows how young I was, that I did not remember this.  I must find this movie.  For science.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »

I really love this movie, its a solid effort and the seeker bullets blew my 13 year old mind!
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Runaway (1984) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.