Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:57:04 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DISASTER WARS: EARTHQUAKE VS TSUNAMI (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DISASTER WARS: EARTHQUAKE VS TSUNAMI (2013)  (Read 3079 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: September 24, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »

Sometimes a movie is so bad...it makes MANOS look like a "fun project."  Seriously.

I've seen MANOS, BEAST OF YUCCA FLATS, SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS, PLAN 9 and host of other "Worst movies ever" examples.  This one ranks up there, and I'll get to why in a moment.

First, though, I'm struggling to 'score' this one.  While watching it, I asked my family if I could give a negative score.  -2 or so seemed to fit pretty good.  But then something strange happened; I found we were laughing a lot.  I think our laughter was born of a defense mechanism.

The problem with this one is the score is going to reflect the taste and attitude of the scorer rather than the movie itself much more than usual.  On its own merits, the film merits one of Andrew's "Skulls" if there ever was one. It *is* that bad.

But, if one can laugh so much, if there is so much to riff on, if the experience transcends the movie, is it *really* a "Skull?"  I want to call it 2 out of 5, but with the caveat that score is ONLY for true movie buffs that LIKE really bad movies. Maybe 1.5, even for bad movie buffs.

Let me set the stage.  We don't have "unrealistic expectations" of bad disaster flicks.  In the past few weeks, we've watched a number of them...actually, we have multiple viewings of some of the ones shown below. We OWN one of them (I'm not saying which  Twirling ).  My children have decided they really like this genre, and they OFTEN request this genre when we ask "What are you in the mood for?"  Some examples of our more recent viewings:

STONADOS (2013)
ICETASTROPHE (2014)  (aka CHRISTMAS ICETASTROPHE)
ICE QUAKE (2010)

What do all these have in common?

Very poorly done visual effects, very cheezy dialog, ridiculous stories, nonsensical technobabble, questionable acting, questionable direction, plot holes, continuity errors and more to make an IMDB "Goofs" aficionado go to town.

But, there is one positive thing they all have, and it shines through the murk: Someone cared.  Someone cared enough about the film project to have fun while making the film.

I would argue that even Warren cared "some" while making MANOS, and that gives MANOS an 'edge' over DISASTER WARS.

It is clear no one involved in this projected cared one iota about what they were doing.  It has the same craptastic visual effects, STUPID story (premise and arc), plot holes, continuity errors and poor dialog/acting/directing that the above examples have...but it multiplies the effect of those flaws with a lack of "love."

This film plays like it was a burden to those involved in it.  They just did NOT care...and it shows.

"Good" or even "just watchable" is not about budget, either.  BLAIR WITCH was shot for less than half of this film's nearly $200,000 budget, and was in the same ball park when marketing and such was added in.  TiMER was an excellent "low budget" film (though I could not pin down an actual budget).  How about CLERKS or NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD? The list of "low budget" or even MICRO budget films that succeed in some way, even a small way, is long.

So, this film's failure cannot be blamed on the production budget.  I rarely buy the budget argument anyway.  Even cheap visual effects, for example, don't completely destroy a film if the actors are having fun.

This is the fundamental problem with this film...no one seemed to care at all.  Here's a short, sample only, list of things that show this:

(1) Acting

It's not that the acting was wooden or even inept.  It was that it was ... not acting.  Scenes with multiple characters had one character talking and the rest just looking around ... sitting or standing looking bored.  

They may have been TRYING to go for the "look around" technique of showing concern / suspense building (that we see a LOT in movies of this sub-genre, and it can be quite funny), but even at that they failed miserably.  Maybe these folks can act, but they did not show it here.  Not even Joe Esteves lived up to the word "acting" in this, and we had just come off an MST3K viewing of WEREWOLF about a week ago to set up our excitement when we saw him on screen.

(2) Editing

This movie is like the anti-continuity.  Really.  It is THAT bad.

Continuity errors are a bit of fun for me, but mostly because they are rare enough that they are the 'flaw' that makes a work look "real" in the artistic sense.  It reminds me that movie makers are jobbers and not magicians.  Continuity errors can be aggravating, but they are also part of the fun of movie watching.

But in DISASTER WARS, the whole thing is one constant continuity error because the footage appears cobbled together in a manner that suggests no one even knew "continuity" in a film is a thing.  It is just baseless.

(a) Props changing from one pocket to another in a character's jacket
(b) The character's jacket itself changing!
(c) Two shot of one character talking to another, then cut to four shot of ensemble and BOOM those two characters not even looking at each other!

(Again, this sort of thing happens a lot in movies, but not THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE MOVIE.  I can't recall one single cut in this film that did NOT involve something like this).

(d) The sailboat...long shots, sails up, the boat sailing.  Close ups, the sails rolled on the boom with sail covers on, the boat not moving and certainly no one sailing it.  By way of analogy, imagine a scene where a car is shown in a long shot zooming along a mountain road, but the interior shots of the characters talking show them in the back seat, facing each other talking with OBVIOUSLY no movement at all to the car...then another long shot showing the car is still zooming along the road.  Just Lame.

(e) Okay, I'll stop there...suffice it to say this whole film was just shot and clips stuck together without even looking at them.  Maybe everything was done in one take and they didn't have a choice?  (If that's the case, handle the continuity during shooting, for crying out loud).

(3) Story / Plot

Just Bad.  Like really, really bad.  Even within sub-genre, this was crap.

I'm only going to give one example here.  I could go on about the "physics" of this movie, but I won't.  Sometimes the "physics" they come up with for movies like this is part of the fun.

No, the example I give is this little gem:

Girl driving car (supposedly evacuating to escape the storm) has car trouble.  She's in L-Freaking-A, and no one is around.  She gets out, pops the hood, stares at the engine for 10 seconds, closes the hood and is approached by...a hood.  A "really bad dood" that plans to kidnap/rape her.  She manages to fight him off, get in the car and drive away.

Yes...repairs of modern engines ONLY take looking at the engine for 10 seconds!

What genius writing.

All this 'scene' served to show, I THINK, was that this character was not weak.  But, this never paid off.  She was subsequently attacked AGAIN, LATER, and she had to be rescued.

(4) Direction

When four characters sit in chairs arranged in a square with a few techy looking props spouting technobabble nonsense stands in for a crew in a deep water submersible, you've got a problem with planning and executing your film.

At least Ed Wood TRIED to make the plane cockpit in PLAN 9 look like a plane cockpit.

(5) Time Wasting

This movie is listed at a running time of 85 minutes.  Easily 20 minutes, probably more than that, is completely wasted on establishing shots and a way overdone countdown to the arrival of the tsunami...countdown done in "T-Minus" text card complete with keyboard typing sounds.

It's not that establishing shots are 'bad;' of course they aren't.  But, do we REALLY need a 5 second shot on an empty dumpster to "establish" that we are in an alley before the above mentioned girl-in-car-breaking-down rolls in-camera?

That's probably the least egregious example.  We were treated to the same shot of the "door to the top secret military bunker" to establish that the next scene was taking place inside the top secret military bunker (which should have been kind of obvious after the first time) so many times I quit counting.

How about pointless aerial shots of residential neighborhoods...that go on far too long, and are repeated numerous times?

So, in the end, my apologies to director David Palmieri and the rest of the crew.  I really dislike the idea of "criticizing" a beloved project.  But this thing is a trainwreck NOT because the execution fell short in a few nitpickey areas; it's a mess because NOTHING went into it.

Palmieri has some respectable credits on his IMDB page...as crew.  This was not his first turn as director, either.  

It is just mind boggling to me how a project like this gets thrown together.  There are so many actors, directors, editors, animators, CGI artists, production designers, writers, etc, etc that WANT to work, that LOVE their work, that are WILLING to work (to start at least, to get experience) in the low budget arena that I just find it hard to believe that one film could consolidate SO much apathy.

If the "love" you put into your film compares unfavorably with Harold Warren, it's time for some serious introspection.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:52:14 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Bushma

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »

I must watch this!

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
ulthar

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 01:15:23 PM »

I hope you have fun with it.  It sounds like you are about like me...read a review like that and just get drawn in. 

Let me contrast DISASTER WARS with ICETASTROPHE.

Man, ICETASTROPHE is bad, and I can see a lot of "mainstream" audiences hating it.  But, dang, you could tell they had fun making it.  It was written all over the movie.

Couple of examples:

(1) Character Names

It takes place around Christmas, and the bad guy's last name was "Crooge." The maintenance man, the hero of the story, is named "Ratchet."

(2) Acting

NONE of the actors in ICETASTROPHE "phoned it in."  I'm not an expert on acting by any stretch, but I think they all did a good job, especially in the context of the film (admittedly, these seem to be actors with greater experience than most of those in DISASTER WARS, save Priscilla Barnes and Joe Esteves).

For example, when the Marley character (Tiera Skovbye) is on the snow after an avalanche, she screams her head off...she's playing her part like a good "scream queen" in a low budget film.  She does not stand still looking around, looking bored like the camera is rolling between takes and that's the footage they used.

(3) A geeky astrophysics grad student throwing dynamite off a speeding snowmobile to "stop" an on-rushing ice storm?  Tell me the writers were not having fun with this one.

(4) The fun coalesces with said astrophysics student (character Alex Novak played by Jennifer Spence) replied a very heartfelt "No!" to Ratchet's question about whether or not she wanted to get a sample of the meteorite.  Simply beautiful!   TeddyR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »

Earthquake Vs Tsunami?!

This is in very real danger of setting off my "Stupid Movie Titles" screeching and sounds like the most god-awful film ever. Then again, I hold almost all Evil Weather movies in the same negative regard as I do any of the "Genre-Movie" Movies.

This movie is like the anti-continuity.

This needs to be put on a t-shirt.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
ulthar

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »

I hold almost all Evil Weather movies in the same negative regard as I do any of the "Genre-Movie" Movies.

Haha.  And we seek them out, go out of our way to watch 'em. 

"Evil Weather Movies" ... a very good name for the genre!!   Thumbup Thumbup

--Real Genius
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:10:09 PM »

Is it as dumb as "Airplane vs. Volcano"??

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ulthar

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »

Haven't seen that one. Yet.  It's on the radar.

--Real Genius
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »

I hold almost all Evil Weather movies in the same negative regard as I do any of the "Genre-Movie" Movies.

Haha.  And we seek them out, go out of our way to watch 'em. 

"Evil Weather Movies" ... a very good name for the genre!!   Thumbup Thumbup

It does baffle me sometimes that I can be so critically harsh to my own hobby Question

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 07:34:27 AM »

Haven't seen that one. Yet.  It's on the radar.
PULL UP!...seriously, AIRPLANE Vs. Volcano...how can they justify a MOBILE platform hanging around an IMmobile threat?
If it were AIRPLANE! vs volcano...heh,heh,heh,...
"Shirley, you must be smoking?"
"I am smoking. Weed. How else would I come up with such a bats%!& premise?"

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DISASTER WARS: EARTHQUAKE VS TSUNAMI (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.