Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:32:55 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Two Coins For The Ferryman. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two Coins For The Ferryman.  (Read 3212 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: October 05, 2015, 07:33:20 AM »

Hi all, been away for a few weeks but am back now. We've had a bit of a rough time recently and whats coming isn't a story with a happy ending, so if you are having a bad day I'd suggest skipping reading it. I think I am writing this more to just put some thoughts down somewhere.

We had a bunch of friends from across Europe who all game online with us come visit for a long weekend. I'd booked two weeks off for that, and just to spend some time away from work. After a really good weekend where we taught them how to play Zombies!!! and Fluxx Monty Python, they all started to head home on Monday and Tuesday. Just a few days before that we'd been out at baby fairs buying a new pram and baby clothes. Life was feeling pretty damn good.

On Wednesday two weeks ago Kristi said she couldn't feel the baby moving so we went straight out to the local hospital. One of the nurses couldn't pick up any heartbeat from our baby. Our doctor was called in and a scan confirmed there was no movement and just a few days short of 24 weeks we'd lost our baby (Lillian Elizabeth Morgan Corbett, we nicknamed her Lilly-Beth). They gave Kristi some meds to start things off. They'd take a couple of days to start working, so we were to come back first thing on Friday and be prepared to spend a couple of days in the hospital. We walked into town just feeling numb and holding hands. Neither of us felt like eating, so we picked up something from a fast food place, each of us promising the other that if they ate something the other one would too. I can't really remember anything else about what we did that night, other than phoning around our families to tell them what had happened, and that each time I'd to tell someone it got that little bit harder, and then finally going over the road to my Warrent Officers house to let him know I'd need some more time off work (the poor guy was in the shower at the time and had to come to the door in his dressing gown (I am sure one day I'll find that funny), but we went to bed and held each other until at some point we both drifted off to sleep. We woke early, just as dawn was preparing to break. I suggested we both take a long walk along the beach together. For some reason it just felt incredibly important to me that we have a last walk along there, just the three of us. It looked dark and cloudy as we left the house, but by the time we reached the beach a mile or two away it had turned into a lovely morning.

We walked along it towards the lighthouse, going two or three miles along. When one of us felt the need to cry a bit we stopped and held the other. Eventually both of us decided we'd went far enough and both of us were ready to go home. The sun was still rising over the village and as we walked back we could hear a low moaning noise. It might have been some animal, or the wind on the beach. We go there a lot and I'd never heard a sound quite like that before. A couple of days later I recalled some fragments of an old story where the sea had sung to people who were truely in love and had lost something to ease their pain. I couldn't remember if it really was something I had read or if my mind was making it up. When I told Kristi about it she asked me if I'd look it up. I said no, I was happy to believe that was the old spirits singing to us and leave it at that. My mum travelled up that day. I can't remember if I went out to meet her at the train station or not. I had picked up a load of Mr Men books to read to Lilly-Beth, mostly ones I remembered having when I was young. One of them (Mr Clumsy), I had sat at Kristi's belly and read to Lilly-Beth after the nurse had told us she could here at that stage of development. I wrote a message to her telling her, her mummy and daddy loved her and missed her. I had picked out various things I wanted to be buried with her, so I put that book in, a torch so she never had be be afraid in the dark (every time I thought of her being afraid and a lone I'd start crying), a small teddy (Dennis The Menace for anyone who is familiar with the Beano comic) that had originally belonged to my gran, some socks and shoes and baby clothes and a bangle that had been my little sisters when she was born, as well as 2 gold coins. Kristi asked me to sort out everything for the funeral as she didn't think she could handle it, so some of the things were from her too.

The next morning my sister in law drove early from Aberdeen to take us to hospital. We got our room and the midwife came in and gave us the next set of meds, warning us not to expect Kristi to give birth that day. My mum and sister in law stayed with us for a while until the meds started to take effect. About half nine in the morning Kristi started shaking, and being sick. She wasn't reacting well to the morphine and the anti nausia stuff wasn't working. Four hours later they were able to give her a different medication and that settled things down a bit, but she was still in a lot of pain. For all the things I learned through my life and everything I have done all I could do was hold her hand and wish I could take the pain from her and feel it instead. They were giving her morphine injections, some other painkillers as pills and gas none of which seemed to do anything more than take the edge of the pain. I stayed with her for the next 12 hours. My mum and Dawn were waiting in the local town. At some point I told them it was ok, go home and wait and I'd call them as soon as I had any news. I lied to the nurses and told them I was taking breaks to go outside for fresh air, although I did leave for a couple of minutes to go put some more money on my phone. I was texting various friends and family in the UK and US answering what questions I could for them. Eventually the midwife came in and said that she'd try one last pill at half nine at night, then restart the pills in the morning. I wanted to beg her to let Kristi rest for a bit and just skip the last pills. On the way to the hospital I had thought when she goes to give you the pills I won't be able to let her give you them, but when she asked if we were ready I could only sit and squeeze Kristi's hand to show I supported her as she said yes.

About 9 Kristi said she could feel something wasn't normal and she thought the baby was coming. I got the midwife and half an hour later Lilly-Beth arrived. She was born at 21:36, weighing 460 grams, and was 28cm long. Her cord was wrapped around her shoulder, then around her neck three times. It wasn't tight around her neck so the nurse couldn't say if that was what had went wrong or not. Because of something that had happened when I was a teenager I hadn't wanted to cut the cord, but at some point during the night I'd had a talk with myself, told myself I could do that for my daughter and should man the f**k up. So I cut the cord and asked if I could wash her. The midwife said she was too fragile and it would be better if I didn't, but I could help dress her afterwards. She took her away and I cuddled Kristi. She seemed to shake off the effects of all the drugs pretty quickly. I contacted our families to let them know it had happened. My mum got a taxi while my brother and sister in law jumped in the car to come join us. We sorted out some injections I'd need to give Kristi, filled in the paperwork to give permission for an autopsy and then we went home.

When the nurse came back she said one of Lilly-Beth's arms was slightly shorter than the other and the hand was turned in a bit. I dunno, she looked perfect to me. The nurse offered to let us sleep in the room with her for the night if we wanted, but both of us decided we wanted to go home to our own house and come back out first thing in the morning to sort out what would happen next.

In the morning we headed back out. We ran into a couple of the missionaires from Kristi's church. We told them what had happened and they immediently organised to have meals dropped off at our house for the next week and offered any other help they could. She asked them to give her a blessing. We headed into the hospital. I asked to see Lilly-Beth. We had photos taken with her, but we were both feeling a bit shell shocked. I wanted nothing more than to hold her, but the nurse, trying hard not to cry said I wouldn't be able to. I went to see her, but didn't manage to say goodbye to her the way I'd wanted to. The funeral director arrived and went over options. He tried hard to steer us toward cremation since my job is likely to move us away from this area. I wanted her to be settled somewhere, and maybe I've just seen too many bad movies where ashes get mistaken for coffee or spilt. Kristi's religion while not outright against cremation prefers burial too.

Anyway, I just want to say to people if you have kids cherish every second you get with them, even the bad times. One day even without something bad happening there will come a time you can't just hold them. Right now, I'd given anything just to be able to do something as simple as change a dirty diaper. Make sure the people you love know it. Might sound silly, but the one piece of advice I've always been willing to give people is tell them your loved ones how you feel about them, because one day its too late and no holy man, scientist, god, politician or anyone else can change things to give you that chance. I just had never thought before about never having the chance to say that in the first place would ever happen.

Peace and love to everyone.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »

Bluesad Bluesad Bluesad Bluesad

OMG: hugs to you and Kristi, Brother Alex.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »

That's a heartbreaking story, Alex. I wish there was something I could say to help. My deepest sympathies.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:01:06 PM »

Incredibly sorry to hear this Alex, I really wish you and yours my deepest sympathies. I had a work colleague who went through something similar a number of years ago and it is truly heartbreaking...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 11:06:13 PM »

My thoughts and prayers are with you, brother.
May God bring you and your lovely wife peace.
I think I'll go wake up my girls and hug them now . . .  Bluesad

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 05:23:46 PM »

I have no words that can help, but you will be remembered in my prayers.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »

Ditto.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:27:18 PM »

That's awful.. very sorry to hear, but please keep your head up in any way you can.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Two Coins For The Ferryman. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.