Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:23:01 AM
714197 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad Practical FX vs. Awful CGI « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which do you find more cringeworthy?
Bad Practical FX (i.e. Costumes, Puppets, Miniatures, etc.) - 1 (14.3%)
Awful CGI (Monsters, Backgrounds, etc.) - 6 (85.7%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bad Practical FX vs. Awful CGI  (Read 2363 times)
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 09, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »

Which do you honestly find more painful to look at? Poorly made practical FX (be they costumes, puppets, miniatures, etc.) or awful CGI (monsters, backgrounds, vehicles, etc.)?
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 07:54:49 PM »

kinda depends on how well a scene is executed...
One thing that kills it for me, is if they take a pause to show the viewer just how hard the special effects team worked on a monster, such as in the remake of Clash Of The Titans. One the other hand, The Legend Of Boggey Creek had to go the "guy in a cheap ape suit" route, & to cover it up, never lets the viewer really see the monster, which benefits the movie in a way.

There's also the matter of whether or not the actors need to interact with the monster. I found some of them tolerable in Lord Of The Rings, but not as tense as the actors coming face to face withe the M.A.R.K. 13 from Hardware.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »

Lately bad CGI effects have crushed my suspension of disbelief by taking me fully out of the moment. It's a powerful tool and allows you to show audiences things that they might not otherwise ever see and, for the record, I love CGI work. However, it seems that it's become increasingly easier for directors to get lazy and dump everything on CGI work. The problem with CGI is the very fact that it can make things nobody has ever seen before. If you show your audience one or two big "Whoa, what the HELL?" moments that wouldn't be possible in the real world, they'll suspend disbelief and go with it if you do your work right. If you make your film a huge string of impossible moments where physics just doesn't exist in the world, people will be off the boat by the time Legolas Mario-hops his way up the crumbling stone blocks.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »

Depends on how bad and WHY each is bad.  Like, I have seen practical monsters that can barely move (think some B monsters) and this totally ruins the atmosphere and the feel of what they're going for (think From Hell It Came).  However, a bad but very usable monster suit shot well can still work.  I've seen some quickly used weak CGI to get a point across that was effective.  It's when they show it in long shots and it's awful, coupled with bad physics - then it ends up doing the same as an immobile practical effect.

If I had to pick one though, I'd say bad CGI is worse.  At least you can tell it's actually there, not totally destroying immersion.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 12:12:16 AM »

Bad practical FX any day over terrible CGI: if I can see the strings or the 2 by 4 used to push the monster in front of the camera, I don't mind. Terrible CGI is just bad and most of the time, its' on the high budget films, not the low budget ones.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 03:48:11 PM »

Bad practicle effects are better than bag CG any day, if for no other reason than that when dealing with bad pracitcle effects, there's actually something there that exists and people can react to it.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad Practical FX vs. Awful CGI « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.