Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:59:52 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Characters you are supposed to like, but they are a douche « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Characters you are supposed to like, but they are a douche  (Read 16480 times)
Gene Worm
A Guru of Rubber Monsters, and a
Bad Movie Lover

Rubber Monsters > CGI Monsters

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 09:14:06 PM »

I haven't really watched enough of either of those two shows. I actually kinda liked Brennan, but she could come off as a bit full of herself at times. But, you could be right. I may just be judging unfairly. I can't say for sure, because I haven't seen enough of the show, but from what I have seen of it, I remember her being a little on the full of herself side.

As for Sheldon, I just remember him acting like a creepy stalker person. But hey, I've only seen the show once, and a long time ago. My memory's probably pretty fuzzy. So, I can't really be sure about that one.

I'm not sure if that's how you guys' interpreted what I said, but I just want to quickly say, I by no means meant to come off as against people with social disorders. In no way did I mean that. That was just how I thought of the characters when I saw the shows, which I didn't see much of to begin with. So, deep apologies if I did come off that way. Brennan, now that you guys said it, I can now see that she could have a social interaction disorder. My first thoughts on the character were just how she was belittling everyone else and couldn't stand being wrong, which I interpreted as narcissism, but now I think you may be right. She did also show kindness throughout certain areas of the show.

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 12:00:14 PM »

I watched the Amazon series The Man in the High Castle based on the Philip K. Dick book about an alternate reality where the Axis won WWII. I haven't read the book and overall I enjoyed the series.

My issue was the main character. She is one of those characters who is constantly saying stuff like "I have the learn the TRUTH first!" and "Wait, I just have to make a quick detour to say goodbye to someone!" and "I know we just met but I feel I can trust you with this secret!" and "Wait! I'm going with you!" as innocent characters all round her get arrested, shot, lynched, tortured,  gassed, etc. directly or indirectly due to her actions.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 01:43:32 PM »

Okay, I'll be serious. One day a while back, I tried to watch The Big Bang Theory and I didn't find it funny at all. And honestly, the "Sheldon" man is just kind of creepy to me. Just the way he acts and some of the things he says come off as either douchey, or just awkward in a more "Can I turn on 'Barom 1' now?" sort of way. I don't know, I just personally did not like him.

Another one would be Brennan in Bones. She shows kindness and sweetness every now and again, but most of the time she's just really condescending and mostly yells at her coworkers for not "doing it right". If there's one thing I hate (especially in real life), it is narcissism. People who are full of themselves are just the pinnacle of douches.

I don't think Brennan is necessarily supposed to be narcissistic.  I think she's supposed to  have some sort of social interaction disorder.  Then again I haven't watched a lot of Bones but from the few episodes I have seen that's what I interpreted it as.   Same with Sheldon.  They don't know how to properly interact with people.

Like, House is a narcissistic.  He knows exactly what he's doing and acting, how people perceive him and just doesn't care.  The other two might not have as much as a choice in their actions.

I believe both Brennan and Sheldon are intended to be stereotypical "science nerds" by way of being on the autism spectrum and socially inept as a result.  Definitely not by choice.
Sheldon is annoying because he is a douche, yet, amusing because he is unaware of it; ergo he cannot really be a douche because all douches know they are douches.   Smile Question Lookingup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 12:41:20 AM »

The hospital administrator (Alfred Molina) in the ghastly and thankfully short-lived series Monday Mornings: what a total douchebag.  TongueOut

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 01:27:12 AM »

Captain Victoria Gates in Castle: a woman in charge  Thumbup Cheers who nonetheless acts like a douche as she requires her people to call her 'sir'  Question

javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 09:19:06 AM »

Captain Victoria Gates in Castle: a woman in charge  Thumbup Cheers who nonetheless acts like a douche as she requires her people to call her 'sir'  Question

Maybe she has a "secret" like "The Crying Game".

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 05:08:52 AM »

Maybe she has a "secret" like "The Crying Game".

TeddyR TeddyR

Another is Dr Camille Saroyan in Bones: she is always asking for her staff to do the impossible and almost never contributes to solving a crime - in one episode, she dismisses a valued intern as he is taking medical marijuana to cope with the after-effects of chemotherapy!! What a douche and her personal life is a mess.

Jim H

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 11:49:48 PM »

Main character from the movie Whiplash - out to be the best there is but is just a giant a$$ the whole movie

Main character from Neon Genesis - such a whiny selfish brat and he's meant to be some hero but is just annoying.

Agree on NG, and generally on Whiplash...  But I'm actually not certain you're really supposed to like the lead in Whiplash.  Empathize with to a degree, or understand.  I dunno if he's meant to be likable for like the entire second half of the film.

My contribution, my girlfriend bought Friends recently.  Hadn't seen an episode in ages.  I'd forgotten how annoying Ross generally is.  Kind of useless and irritating.  Also, for something more recent, Keen on Blacklist.  I like her a bit more, but she's still a flat kind of annoying character surrounded by far more interesting ones.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 12:12:07 AM »

Main character from the movie Whiplash - out to be the best there is but is just a giant a$$ the whole movie

Main character from Neon Genesis - such a whiny selfish brat and he's meant to be some hero but is just annoying.

Agree on NG, and generally on Whiplash...  But I'm actually not certain you're really supposed to like the lead in Whiplash.  Empathize with to a degree, or understand.  I dunno if he's meant to be likable for like the entire second half of the film.

I agree with Jim about WHIPLASH, I don't think you are supposed to like Miles Teller or conclude that his sacrifice is worth it.  I think that assumption that you are "supposed to" take his side has made many people unfairly dislike the movie. You don't have to like him for the movie to work.

That's kind of a problem with this topic: do we know for sure whether you are "supposed" to like a character? With sitcoms it's probably pretty clear that you're supposed to like the lead (other than Archie Bunker), but beyond that it can be tricky.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »

I agree with Jim about WHIPLASH, I don't think you are supposed to like Miles Teller or conclude that his sacrifice is worth it.  I think that assumption that you are "supposed to" take his side has made many people unfairly dislike the movie. You don't have to like him for the movie to work.

That's kind of a problem with this topic: do we know for sure whether you are "supposed" to like a character? With sitcoms it's probably pretty clear that you're supposed to like the lead (other than Archie Bunker), but beyond that it can be tricky.

Heh, I find it a little worrying that I do like Archie Bunker.  Admittedly though, I think they deliberately made him more likable as the show went on. I'm too young to remember when it was originally on though, only seen random episodes in reruns.

On another related note, what is up with Japanese men in anime molesting unconscious women?  The lead in NG does this to someone in a coma, no joke.  I've seen this as a trope in several other anime (Btoom is another, but the lead in that resists as if it was the hardest thing he ever did) as well.  They act like it's an irresistible impulse, and it just comes across as bizarre.  Maybe a cultural issue I don't understand.  It's a lot harder to like or even relate to characters after that, but you're clearly meant to in these anime I'm talking about. 
Gene Worm
A Guru of Rubber Monsters, and a
Bad Movie Lover

Rubber Monsters > CGI Monsters

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 12:02:11 AM »

Ultraman

He just won't leave those poor, innocent, rubber monsters alone! They're just trampling cities on accident.

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 02:50:49 AM »

Ozzymandias speaks: I never noticed it until I began seeing the show on Me-TV, but Dr. Kelly Bracket on Emergency is a major douche bag. He constantly yells at young nurses and other characters. He is also full of patronizing anti-drug speeches for teenagers. Several time Nurse Dixie and Dr. Joe Early tell him to calm down, to no avail.

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 05:23:33 PM »

I think Radar from M*A*S*H was a little bit of a jerk during his final appearances on the series.  I don't know if that was intentional on the part of the writers or if it was Gary Burghoff's take this job and shove it attitude he was having about the job then.  I know that he was starting to wear a bit thin on the rest of the cast by then too.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2016, 12:45:45 AM »

Dr Max Bergman (Masi Oka) in Hawaii Five O: Masi Oka seems to be a nice guy but Dr Max is a huge douchebag IMO.  Thumbup

Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 01:39:09 AM »

Ross's ex wife and her female lover on Friends always acts like big douches.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Characters you are supposed to like, but they are a douche « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.