Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:27:01 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Characters you are supposed to like, but they are a douche « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Characters you are supposed to like, but they are a douche  (Read 16483 times)
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 11, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »

I have been watching a lot of That 70's Show lately as it has come on UK Netflix and I have noticed that Eric Forman is a complete douche. He is so selfish and self-centred and I completely agree with Red, he is a dumb ass. This got me thinking about others that you a supposed to like and immediately Jim from The Office (US version) is a self-righteous moron too.

What are your thoughts?

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 10:46:17 PM »

John Cena in WWE comes across as a complete douche most of the time.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:54:27 AM »

Main character from the movie Whiplash - out to be the best there is but is just a giant a$$ the whole movie

Main character from Neon Genesis - such a whiny selfish brat and he's meant to be some hero but is just annoying.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:10:05 PM »

I thought that Russell Crowe's Noah in the film of that name was a completely unlikable, arrogant, self-righteous dirtbag.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 08:49:19 PM »

Really anyone in the Men in Black franchise, both movies and cartoon series.  

Its a secret organization that withholds information and technology, routinely alters people's minds (possibly ruining some lives) , has no real over site,  all in the name of keeping the public "Safe and quiet".  How are these people considered the heroes? And I've heard in the original comic, their worse, actually executing people from time to time.

The shows also played on the whole "Earth is considered a primitive savage planet by aliens" trope  when the show is based around aliens that have the same faults, vices,  and criminal elements we have, just with better technology.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 09:16:04 PM »

Kirk from the new Trek movies.   Say what you will about Shat- Kirk,  at least he wasn't a f**kING IDIOT.   New - Kirk can't even properly execute plans he himself thought up.   Without Spock (both of them) to do everything for him,  he probably couldn't even make it out of bed.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 06:22:21 AM »

While the various incarnations of Doctor Who have occasionally displayed such traits, the Tenth arguably does it with greater frequency.

A possible reason as to why audiences of All in the Family would sympathize with Archie might have to do with how Meathead could be a sanctimonious prick.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »

Main character from the movie Whiplash - out to be the best there is but is just a giant a$$ the whole movie

So much this.

Also Jim from THE OFFICE, Ross from FRIENDS (both self-absorbed, phony "Nice Guys") and everyone except Marshall from HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 04:21:14 AM »

Kirk from the new Trek movies.   Say what you will about Shat- Kirk,  at least he wasn't a f**kING IDIOT.   New - Kirk can't even properly execute plans he himself thought up.   Without Spock (both of them) to do everything for him,  he probably couldn't even make it out of bed.

I agree: Chris Pine is OK but his character is just meh. Not the Captain Kirk I know. Having said that, Zachary Quinto is great as Mr Spock.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »

Also Jim from THE OFFICE, Ross from FRIENDS (both self-absorbed, phony "Nice Guys") and everyone except Marshall from HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.

I didn't think about Ross, but now you mention it, you are totally right.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »

Ray Barone from "Everybody Loves Raymond" is a douche.  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Gene Worm
A Guru of Rubber Monsters, and a
Bad Movie Lover

Rubber Monsters > CGI Monsters

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 12:48:52 AM »

That darn Teletubby vacuum kept eating the poor terrifying beasts' cereal! Such a douche!

Okay, I'll be serious. One day a while back, I tried to watch The Big Bang Theory and I didn't find it funny at all. And honestly, the "Sheldon" man is just kind of creepy to me. Just the way he acts and some of the things he says come off as either douchey, or just awkward in a more "Can I turn on 'Barom 1' now?" sort of way. I don't know, I just personally did not like him.

Another one would be Brennan in Bones. She shows kindness and sweetness every now and again, but most of the time she's just really condescending and mostly yells at her coworkers for not "doing it right". If there's one thing I hate (especially in real life), it is narcissism. People who are full of themselves are just the pinnacle of douches.

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
claws
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 04:40:16 AM »

I guess we were supposed to "like" or feel sympathy for the villainous team of illusionists in Now You See Me (2013), though each one of them came off as a douche bag.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »

Okay, I'll be serious. One day a while back, I tried to watch The Big Bang Theory and I didn't find it funny at all. And honestly, the "Sheldon" man is just kind of creepy to me. Just the way he acts and some of the things he says come off as either douchey, or just awkward in a more "Can I turn on 'Barom 1' now?" sort of way. I don't know, I just personally did not like him.

Another one would be Brennan in Bones. She shows kindness and sweetness every now and again, but most of the time she's just really condescending and mostly yells at her coworkers for not "doing it right". If there's one thing I hate (especially in real life), it is narcissism. People who are full of themselves are just the pinnacle of douches.

I don't think Brennan is necessarily supposed to be narcissistic.  I think she's supposed to  have some sort of social interaction disorder.  Then again I haven't watched a lot of Bones but from the few episodes I have seen that's what I interpreted it as.   Same with Sheldon.  They don't know how to properly interact with people.

Like, House is a narcissistic.  He knows exactly what he's doing and acting, how people perceive him and just doesn't care.  The other two might not have as much as a choice in their actions.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »

I don't think Brennan is necessarily supposed to be narcissistic.  I think she's supposed to  have some sort of social interaction disorder.  Then again I haven't watched a lot of Bones but from the few episodes I have seen that's what I interpreted it as.   Same with Sheldon.  They don't know how to properly interact with people.

Like, House is a narcissistic.  He knows exactly what he's doing and acting, how people perceive him and just doesn't care.  The other two might not have as much as a choice in their actions.

I believe both Brennan and Sheldon are intended to be stereotypical "science nerds" by way of being on the autism spectrum and socially inept as a result.  Definitely not by choice.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Characters you are supposed to like, but they are a douche « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.