Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:14:43 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Weekend Double Feature: DARK PLACES and POD « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Weekend Double Feature: DARK PLACES and POD  (Read 1292 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: October 12, 2015, 12:32:38 PM »

I had a long weekend, so I decided to watch a couple of new releases and see what I liked.

DARK PLACES (2015)  was a fascinating film with Charlize Theron in the title role.  She plays Libby Day, the only survivor of a triple homicide that left her mother and two sisters dead, and her 16 year old brother on trial for their murder.   It was Libby's testimony that put Ben in jail for life, and she cashed in on the tragedy by signing her name to a ghost-written book and soliciting donations from those who wanted to help the tragically orphaned child.  But now the money has run out, and she is approached by a club of true-crime aficionados who want her to come and speak to them.  Turns out this group believes that her brother was, in fact, innocent, and that her confused childhood account was either false or coerced.  Libby is reluctant to believe it at first, and has no desire to re-live the tragedy that shaped (and blighted) her life for the last 30 years.  But gradually, she comes to realize that her memories of that night are indeed sketchy, and that the group may indeed be onto something . . .

This was a very well done thriller, superbly acted and carefully crafted.  I enjoyed it all the way around.  4.5/5

POD (2015) When you have no budget to speak of, and your main story only involves three characters (the only people onscreen for 90% of the movie), you're taking a huge chance.  It can either be awesome or awful.  This movie was not bad at all - the tension between the characters was completely believable, and the premise was pretty fascinating.  I was totally sucked into the story and never really lost my suspension of disbelief from beginning to end.
   Ed is worried about his brother Martin, a military veteran with severe PTSD.  He's received a disturbing phone call from Martin, raving about "being onto something big" and "they're trying to kill me."  He picks up his sister Lyla, a pretty girl with substance abuse issues, and together they drive to the isolated lake cabin in Maine where Martin is staying.  He does not welcome their arrival, and it's evident that he has become deranged.  He claims that a "pod person" killed his dog, and that he has managed to wound and capture the thing, which he has imprisoned in his basement.  At first, both siblings dismiss his ravings as sheer paranoia, but as time goes on they become convinced he may be telling them the truth.  But only when they unlock the basement door will they know for sure . . .

Taut, well-acted, and terrifying, this was a totally immersive film experience from start to finish.  Every now and then, one of these microbudget films works on all levels, and this one certainly did!  5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Weekend Double Feature: DARK PLACES and POD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.