Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:05:15 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  70s psycho/horror, probably British, weird film « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 70s psycho/horror, probably British, weird film  (Read 5327 times)
scotland60b
Dedicated Viewer

« on: November 07, 2015, 07:35:25 PM »

All I remember is one scene in which a young woman is being chased through the back hallways of what I think was a theater, and runs out an exit door.  She finds herself in an alleyway, but when she turns around to go back in the door, there is only a brick wall.  Then, a Napoleonic cavalryman comes charging down the alley at her.  That's the only scene I remember, but it seems to me that the whole film was filled with strange situations like that.  The girl may have been trying to escape a movie lot or set.  Any ideas?
scotland60b
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 12:22:39 AM »

Wow...must be more obscure than I thought.  Lots of views and no ideas.  The only thing I've been able to dig up that even comes close is Phantom of the Paradise but I don't think that's it.  I don't remember much rock-opera, only psycho-thriller type stuff.  Anyone?
claws
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 04:45:09 AM »

There's an Exit/brick wall scene taking place in a theater in Curtains (1983). Maybe it is that one?
scotland60b
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »

Wow, good suggestion...I checked Curtains out on Youtube, but that wasn't it.  The backstage prop room scene was somewhat reminiscent of the movie I was thinking of, but in the movie I am seeking, the girl actually exits through the exit door into an empty brick alley in broad daylight.  She turns around to go back through the exit door, but it's not there, only a brick wall.  Then she hears a galloping horse, and a Napoleonic-type cavalryman rounds the corner charging at her.  In Curtains, the girl opens the exit door only to find that it's a fake door with a brick wall behind it, so she she's not able to exit anything.  Hope that difference is clear enough.  I wasn't thinking Curtains could be right, because it's a 1983 film, and although I saw the film I am looking for in the early 80s it was clear it dated from the 70s, probably early to mid seventies.  Thanks for the suggestion though!
javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 09:22:43 AM »

I think you are referring to an episode of The Avengers, the cult series from the 60s. And it is indeed very British.

The episode in question is from Season 5, Episode 11, called "Epic". A director intends to film the death of Emma Peel on the grounds of his movie studio. The scene you may be referencing comes as they decide to "open up" the film by opening one of the studio exits. Emma walks out and is faced with German soldier who begins firing at her with a mounted light machine gun. She takes cover behind a brick wall which is damaged by the bullets. Emma takes note of this, realizing the bullets are real. As she attempts to escape down an alley outside the exit, a character dressed as a European cavalryman wielding a sword bears down on her.

The link to the imdb.com page for the episode (you can watch it for free) is imdb.com/title/tt0516836/?ref_=ttep_ep11

Just add the www at the beginning as I cannot post links during my probation period after registering.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »

I think you are referring to an episode of The Avengers, the cult series from the 60s. And it is indeed very British.

The episode in question is from Season 5, Episode 11, called "Epic". A director intends to film the death of Emma Peel on the grounds of his movie studio. The scene you may be referencing comes as they decide to "open up" the film by opening one of the studio exits. Emma walks out and is faced with German soldier who begins firing at her with a mounted light machine gun. She takes cover behind a brick wall which is damaged by the bullets. Emma takes note of this, realizing the bullets are real. As she attempts to escape down an alley outside the exit, a character dressed as a European cavalryman wielding a sword bears down on her.

The link to the imdb.com page for the episode (you can watch it for free) is imdb.com/title/tt0516836/?ref_=ttep_ep11

Just add the www at the beginning as I cannot post links during my probation period after registering.

We used to have a javakoala who was a regular poster around here... nice guy, he is missed.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 10:50:43 AM »

We used to have a javakoala who was a regular poster around here... nice guy, he is missed.

Yeah, I know that guy. A total jerk. I think Ewoks ate him or something.  Lookingup

scotland60b
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 03:39:19 PM »

oooh.  i think this may be it (the avengers episode) as it sounds very close.  i will check out the link and report back forthwith!  it just seemed British 60s or 70s...definitely a certain look, like The Avengers or The Prisoner. Thanks again!
scotland60b
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 10:10:49 PM »

OK, so I watched part of the Avengers Episode "Epic"...it is definitely so close that I am wondering if I have mixed some things up.  I did not see an exit/brick wall scene, but I did see the horseman scene and it's almost what I remember.  However, I have this clear memory of the horseman NOT wearing a mask, in fact he had on glasses which I thought was odd.  In the movie I remember, the girl heard the horse's footsteps for quite a while before the horseman rounded the bend, and then he seemed always to be far off...like they would cut between the girl and the horseman and the horseman wasn't getting any closer.  Another thing...the Avengers episode had a certain comedy/camp feel to it, including the soundtrack, that the scene I am remembering definitely didn't have.  It was just plain weird.  I will say, though, that the scenes earlier in the Avengers episode definitely had a similar British 60s/70s weirdness and feel to them, especially the wedding/funeral scene.   All in all, I can see why you suggested it because it's very very close, but that just makes me even more frustrated because I still think it may not be the right one!  Thanks for the work though - any other ideas?
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 03:25:50 PM »

Sorry, no further suggestions.

I'm shocked that the episode of The Avengers sprang to mind when I read your original post. I had to figure out which episode it was and then watch it to make sure I wasn't misremembering.

If nothing else, I got to relive a bit of childhood out of the whole deal. I'll check back in to see if anyone else finds what you are looking for.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »

Yeah, I know that guy. A total jerk. I think Ewoks ate him or something.  Lookingup
Oh no, he wasn't eaten by Ewoks...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  70s psycho/horror, probably British, weird film « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.