Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:40 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  PENNY DREADFUL (Showtime Series) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PENNY DREADFUL (Showtime Series)  (Read 8516 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: November 08, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »

Did anybody else watch this series?

I watched season one back in January when it first released on DVD, and last night I finished up the second season.
Basically, what the series has done is thrown together all the classic tropes of Victorian horror - Dorian Gray, Dracula, Frankenstein, witches, werewolves, and everything else they can think of - into a bloody, R-rated soap opera.  Brilliantly acted with Josh Harnett, Timothy Dalton, and my current celebrity crush Eva Green, the first season featured Sir Malcolm Harker, famous British explorer, trying to recover his daughter Mina from the clutches of a hideous vampire-like creature with the aid of an American cowboy and a mad scientist, as well as his beautiful ward, Vanessa Ives (played by Eva Green).  In the next season, Vanessa is stalked by witches who want to force her to become Lucifer's consort and partner in his bid to steal God's throne and enslave the earth.

Overall, I enjoyed the first season more than I did the second.  The acting was just as good in both of them, but the second season was far more dark and bleak in its outlook.  Still, if you love classic Victorian horror, I recommend them both. 

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 02:56:46 PM »

I must admit I haven't seen it. Though, it does sound interesting, especially, as I like both Bond James Bond and Dr. Who, and many of the actors who appear in this, also appeared in one or the either or both.

The good news is that next year (2016) will bring on a 3rd season of the show with 9 episodes--apparently.  No plot give, but the title of the 1st episode is "The Day Tennyson Died," which may give someone some idea what the 3rd season will be about.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 03:49:09 PM »

That's weird.  Honestly, this season's finale gave me the impression that the show was NOT planned to continue.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
dean

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 09:15:41 PM »

Haven't seen the second season but I enjoyed the first, albeit its a pretty pulpy kind of show. Really liked Eva Green though the whole Lucifer subplot that they hint at in the first season was a bit silly at times but she sure acted her heart out. Pretty decent cast as well overall [So that's what Josh Hartnett has been up to?]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »

That's weird.  Honestly, this season's finale gave me the impression that the show was NOT planned to continue.

Maybe, they did plan to cancel it after the 2nd season, as I haven't seen it, and they changed their mind, as the reviews and ratings have seemingly been positive. It is just the information that I had, and I didn't have much, only that there is suppose to be a 3rd season next year or 2016, and it is suppose to last 9 episodes and the title of the 1st episode season 3 is "The Day Tennyson Died."

Anyway, my source of information is not always correct, so I went back to the official website for the show, and there is an official website for the show, and that had that the show had been renewed for a 3rd season, which will be seen sometime next year or 2016.

And that is all that I have for now.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 11:28:05 PM »

Thanks. I'll look forward to it.  Hopefully it will be less bleak than the end of this season.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:01:26 PM »

Thanks. I'll look forward to it.  Hopefully it will be less bleak than the end of this season.

And you're welcome. I still don't have a plot for the 3rd season, but . . .?! This is the cast and the roles they play. They might give you some idea as to what is to come in 2016.

Patti Lupone as Dr. Seward
Wes Studi as Kaetenay
Eva Green as Vanessa Ives
Josh Harnett as Ethan
Timothy Dalton as Sir Malcolm
Sarah Greene as Hecate
Simon Beale as Ferdinand Lyle
Shazad Latif as Dr. Jekyll
Christian Camargo as Dr. Sweet
Sam Barnett as Seward's secretary
Jessica Barden as Justine
Billie Piper as Lily
Reeve Carney as Dorian Gray
Perdita Weeks as Catronia Hartdegan
Rory Kinnear as The Creature
Harry Treadaway as Dr. Frankenstein

Now shooting in Dublin, Ireland.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 12:07:17 AM »

I'm glad they are bringing Ethan back.
Things weren't looking too good for him at the end of season 2.

Paquita

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 09:38:41 PM »

I started watching this and have seen the first two episodes.  I wouldn't say it's brilliant so far, but it looks like something I could enjoy.  However, in these two episodes, I have been ambushed by sudden "humping" scenes that I wasn't prepared for (first episode more than the second) and it's making me wary about watching the rest of the show.  I can take a little hanky panky but I prefer to have something of a warning so I can, you know, not have food in my mouth or be sitting next to my uncle when it happens.  Though I also think these (and some other) scenes seemed quite unnecessary for the story and planted simply to appease some slow-witted, vulgar-minded fans...but that's just my opinion.  Anyway, my question is -  if I want to keep watching this show, will I need to prepare myself for more flash-humps?  Or does it get a little more tasteful as the show progresses?

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 10:06:21 PM »

There was not as much sex as the show progressed through the first two seasons.  Haven't seen the third yet.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »

Funny, long ago for a minute my Amazon.com reviewer name was Penny Dreadful.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 12:37:11 PM »

There was not as much sex as the show progressed through the first two seasons.  Haven't seen the third yet.

I dunno...  I think season 2 had probably at least twice as much sex and nudity as the first.  There's one like 5 minute sequence which is literally three or four separate sex scenes intercut in season 2.  I think all of season 1 has like 5ish sex scenes total. 
316zombie
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 12:37:12 AM »

Hatred Hatred Hatred
I wasted FAR too much time watching aall 3 seasons on netflix, just to be let down. i'll listen to my old friends from now on,and spend my time on cool stuff like channel zero instead.
Spiff
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »

Show was a good example of 'fandering' (pandering to fans) that destroys shows with potential. Worst type is when the producers realise that they have a solid female demographic and start skewing the story, introducing Mary Sues and shoehorning in blather about the oppression of women.
There was a lot to recommend the first series  but it went from Penny Dreadful to just plain dreadful. That said Eva Greene and Rory Kinear are suberb throughout and I thought the episode with the pair of them in the asylum showed what the series could have been.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 03:27:56 PM »

watched the first season, almost got into it but i lost interest and never went back. it had alot of elements that i liked but something was missing. i also liked the classic monsters thing they had going. too much eva green for me though. i just dont like her, theres something weird about her eyes and brow.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  PENNY DREADFUL (Showtime Series) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.