Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:40:23 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  TERROR ATACKS IN PARIS « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: TERROR ATACKS IN PARIS  (Read 15426 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »

I wish I had god-like powers for one moment, I would disable every single firearm in the world.
But the reality is, of course, that you don't and you can't.  As grown-up, rational humans, we have to work with the world as it IS, not how we wish it would be.
I did write I was a fool.   TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »

I did write I was a fool.   TeddyR

I didn't quote that part because I disagree with it.   Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2015, 08:56:08 PM »

... If ISIS rolls into your town, you have three choices: join them by becoming a Muslim jihadist, agree to be a slave and pay a "let me live" tax, or die.

Period.
Dying may be inevitable, but I would fight to live and die trying to live, un-subjugated.  That's a fourth choice. 

ulthar

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2015, 09:49:42 PM »

Dying may be inevitable, but I would fight to live and die trying to live, un-subjugated.  That's a fourth choice. 

Fair enough.  Now, what are you going to fight them with?

Though worded poorly, I did mean three acceptable choices to them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2015, 10:38:28 PM »

Fair enough.  Now, what are you going to fight them with?

Though worded poorly, I did mean three acceptable choices to them.
In that context, there must be a gun musn't there be?  Otherwise, whatever I have. 

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2015, 11:22:10 PM »

I tried quoting the Dean/Ulthar debate but the quote architecture was too difficult to recreate so I'm going to just write out some thoughts instead.

I don't think your two points of view are wholly incompatible. Dean seems to be looking at ISIS' short-term tactics, Ulthar at their long-term goals.

To be clear, ISIS does want to win a war: it's just not particularly important that they win the war they're currently fighting with Assad's regime and the other Islamic players in the region. To meet their prophecies they need to lure some infidel army to attack them (specifically at Dabiq).

They definitely need the West to, as Dean says, "arm up." They would love for us to repress Muslim minorities and close borders to Muslim refugees; it plays right into their hands. For the West to turn on Muslims galvanizes their base. I believe they see terrorism as a win-win tactic: it hurts Westerners, and backlash hurts "low Muslims" who are then spurred to radicalize when they face hostility from the infidels. ISIS doesn't care about the civil liberties of Americans, French or other infidels, but they would love it if we took away civil liberties of Muslims living in our lands, because that plays into their dualistic worldview.

They want us to be afraid and angry in order to provoke and antagonize us so that we will come to fight them on holy soil in fulfillment of prophecy. Only then can they move on to the next phase of their plot, subjugation. Fear and anger created via terrorism is their short term tactic, subjugation the long term game plan.

My main disagreement with Ulthar's emphasis is I don't see any "war" here involving the West. Wars are between nation-states. I don't see ISIS as a state, just a band of desert warlords informed by an apocalyptic cult mentality.  I see them as a criminal organization to be dealt with in the same way we dealt with Al-Qaeda. (I didn't see 9/11 as a war either, but as a crime. America did fight a war with Afghanistan, but not with Al-Qaeda or the concept of "terrorism").

In some ways, I think they must be frustrated that we don't want to play with them. What more do they have to do to get  the Crusaders to show up to the Holy War? They want WWIII. I think we win in the long term---and actually win rather easily, in the grand scheme---simply by not playing the game on their terms. Let them burn themselves out and encourage moderate Muslims. Their radical ideology is unsustainable in the long term. In the short term, they are an annoyance on the world stage.

ISIS aren't our equals, they aren't a serious threat to our lives or our way of life, and they don't deserve the respect and attention we're giving them. Not a single policy of ours should be affected in any way by ISIS' actions, other than at which coordinates the air force drops their bombs. Their beliefs are ridiculous, delusional and suicidal. They act like a little brother trying to goad big brother into punching him so they can go running to mommy. I am only slightly more afraid of being killed by ISIS than I am of being speared through the back by a unicorn.

With that said, I think I should stop talking about them.  Cheers

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dean

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2015, 12:58:28 AM »

I appreciate Ulthar's points, which I won't distill down here for brevity's sake. Certainly don't think a 'hippy dippy' completely passive approach will work. The idea that they'd be able to subjugate a western country like the USA is completely laughable also. Certainly they're capable of damage though and if they get their hands on a nuke they'll definitely use it so the west does have a role in trying to take them out but an all stick approach doesn't work, short of complete genocide I suppose which is nuts. We're not at war with the Muslim people, despite the rhetoric that is out there. 

I have a friend who gets yelled at on a nearly daily basis just based on the color of their skin despite not even being Islamic. And it seems that's due solely to hate and ignorance fueled by hyped up over-reactions by most media and I guess I'm just a bit tired of the whole cycle.

Guess that's easy to say as a guy who lives in a generally pretty safe country. But oh well.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2015, 01:20:50 AM »

Yeah-mu Ma lived in NYC on 9/11.I was born in the Bronx.
But taking your anger on the wrong enemy is not the way to do it-we lash out -and do nothing-if we let them in-here-we can spot them and kill them.
Bring them here-we aint gonna win out there-bring them here-in Western Territory-we'll wipe em out-were real good at that! Thumbup
And I aint saying thaat in a sarcastic way-we really have  crazy great defense-well slaughter them.  Thumbup
Let em in..... Wink Cheers

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2015, 01:41:23 AM »

As been said-we dont live there.
We should pull a WW2 on Isis-pull out-and I dunno-but Isis is EVIL. And we should-HAVE TO! Stop it.
And let tthe world do what there gonna do-because even with ISIS dead-evil never dies. Bluesad-
and it repeats it self-it never ends-sides change....DAM! That joint made me real retrospective.

the bottle of whiskey helped too.
 Drink

! No longer available Small | Large

The only way to defeat these a***oles is to get them close to our territory-then blitz em.
Otherwise they just gonna think they are bullies-we gotta be like Bruce Lee-put up with yer s**t-then kick there ass.
We-as a country-aint got nothing to lose if we just let them go apes**t and come here-WW3 is actually they way to be.

That ryhmes! Wink BounceGiggle
hahahaha...am I joking??...?....................... Wink
Its up to YOU!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:54:02 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2015, 04:09:26 AM »

DAM! That joint made me real retrospective.

the bottle of whiskey helped too.
 Drink

TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

First smile I've had all day.  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »

Terrorist ringleader got into EU as 'refugee'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/12006892/International-manhunt-underway-after-French-police-let-Paris-attacks-suspect-slip-through-their-fingers.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_term=Autofeed#link_time=1447984682

"that's great let all of ISIS in as refugees so we can kill them here... or something" - guy who lives where no terrorist has ever struck. no disrespect RC
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:59:30 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
ulthar

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »

I don't think your two points of view are wholly incompatible. Dean seems to be looking at ISIS' short-term tactics, Ulthar at their long-term goals.

Fair enough.  I'm a big picture type.

My main disagreement with Ulthar's emphasis is I don't see any "war" here involving the West. Wars are between nation-states. I don't see ISIS as a state, just a band of desert warlords informed by an apocalyptic cult mentality. 

To some degree, it's semantics.  Or, you know...we could recognize that Fourth Generation Warfare might actually be a thing.

But let's say that N-S's are required for "warfare."  What constitutes a nation-state?  That outsiders recognize them as such?

Let's examine that.  As Graeme Wood wrote in the March 2015 article at theatlantic.com,

"Control of territory is an essential precondition for the Islamic State’s authority in the eyes of its supporters. This map, adapted from the work of the Institute for the Study of War, shows the territory under the caliphate’s control as of January 15 {2015}, along with areas it has attacked. Where it holds power, the state collects taxes, regulates prices, operates courts, and administers services ranging from health care and education to telecommunications."

{my emphasis}

In June of 2014, the area they controlled was larger than the United Kingdom.  They have an "official' population of over 8 million people and it is growing. 

By what objective measures does that not satisfy any working definition of a "nation-state?"  We have to be very careful about letting textbook and theoretical technicalities get in the way of practical realities.

They also have the tools to wage war.  What makes them dangerous as a warring "nation" is their "political leadership" is aligned with USING their force to achieve it's goals.  There is little to no restraint. 

At present, the US Military boasts a frontline strength of about 1.4 million with about that in active reserve duty personnel.  Our military has tremendous force multipliers in the form of technology; but we also have a political machinery that by design hampers the application of this military force.  In short, we have to talk things to death and agonize over every little thing.  They just go shoot up or bomb cafes.

The other distinction we have to be very careful to make is that our government (rightfully) only sees other 'nation-states' as it's enemy...or, more precisely, only COMBATANTS of those nation-states are our enemies.  We do not, rightfully, apply military force to "civilians," even of our enemies.  There is STILL hand wringing over the fire bombing of Dresden, for example, or the use of the atomic bombs in Japan.

Putting this in context of the "Generations" of warfare, our government and our military is essentially operationally locked, aside from some Special Forces operations, in the Third Generation.

Their "government" and "military leadership" have no such qualms about killing civilians...precisely because EVERYONE that is not them (including other Muslims don't don't swear allegiance) is their enemy.  Our "Western Thinking" on this is creating a huge cost in dealing with them.  We are measuring them through OUR lens of "fair play" and "right and wrong" when they have a COMPLETELY different set of rules.

In some ways, I think they must be frustrated that we don't want to play with them. What more do they have to do to get  the Crusaders to show up to the Holy War?

I disagree.  They don't care about that at all. I think they are patient and don't care if it takes 1 year, 10 years, or 5 generations.

Philosophically, they've been at this a looooonnnnnnggggg time.  Their belief base strategy is a "spreading of the cancer" not a "blowing of an embolism."

I think we win in the long term---and actually win rather easily, in the grand scheme---simply by not playing the game on their terms.

I'll grant you a "Maybe."

In the meantime, what do you tell the families of the victims of the 1-2 attacks per week...just of the ones we know about, and the mass slaughter of Muslims in the Middle East that they are perpetrating that our media does NOT talk much about?

As I mentioned before, this isn't something we can just ignore and it will go away...they are bringing the fight to US.  They already have activity in the United States.  There's no question they are active in Europe.  We say "No Thanks to your 'war'" and they set off a bomb vest at a mall.  Is that a "winning" strategy?

Let them burn themselves out and encourage moderate Muslims. Their radical ideology is unsustainable in the long term.

What data do you have to support THAT assertion?  They are GROWING, not declining.  They are GAINING support, expanding into new territories, etc.

If you are going to say that, show some data to support it, please.  Show me it is even possible for a movement like this to just burn itself out if it faces precisely zero resistance?  Has that EVER happened in history?

As counterpoint, let's turn again to Graeme Wood:

"Its rise to power is less like the triumph of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt (a group whose leaders the Islamic State considers apostates) than like the realization of a dystopian alternate reality in which David Koresh or Jim Jones survived to wield absolute power over not just a few hundred people, but some 8 million.

We have misunderstood the nature of the Islamic State in at least two ways. First, we tend to see jihadism as monolithic, and to apply the logic of al‑Qaeda to an organization that has decisively eclipsed it.

We are misled in a second way, by a well-intentioned but dishonest campaign to deny the Islamic State’s medieval religious nature.
"

ISIS aren't our equals, they aren't a serious threat to our lives or our way of life,

I'm sure a lot of folks in France are wondering about that right now, and not just based on last week's attack.

and they don't deserve the respect and attention we're giving them.

Um, how can you ignore them?  They are killing people.  And, more to the point, they are killing people just going about their day-to-day lives, and they swear to keep doing it.  There ARE here in the US.  They ARE in Europe.

Not a single policy of ours should be affected in any way by ISIS' actions, other than at which coordinates the air force drops their bombs.

This is a very common misconception, but you don't vanquish enemies by dropping bombs (at least conventional bombs).  And certainly not THIS enemy that hides among "innocents."  It takes 11B's rolling in the mud to the job done.  You have to hunt them down.

This notion you can fight this with the psychologically easy "drop bombs at these coordinates" is fantasy.  This is Fourth Generation Warfare and to think it can be fought using 3rd GW principles and doctrines is...well, let's take a look at how well the Soviets did in Afghanistan and the US, too, for that matter (yes, we could roll right over the country, but again, our political leadership will not bear that burden...but that's the entire point of emphasizing the 4GW aspect of this). 

Dropping bombs on an encampment here and there is political theater and nothing more.  If it was effective strategy, we'd see it working.  But, we don't.  ISIS is growing in influence and power.

I am only slightly more afraid of being killed by ISIS than I am of being speared through the back by a unicorn.

I'm not really afraid of being killed by ISIS.  That's not the point.

The point is that the threats they represent, if they continue unabated, will eventually rise to the level that regular folks here will have something to fear.  They are not going away unless they are completely defeated.

--Real Genius
ulthar

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2015, 07:07:38 PM »

In the meantime, what do you tell the families of the victims of the 1-2 attacks per week...

Check that.  1-2 attacks, or more, per day.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

3 on the 20th, 1 on the 19th and 2 on the 18th.

Checking a week, 7 Nov - 13 Nov: 47 attacks with 392 deaths.

These are Islamist attacks so may not all be ISIS.

So, I am curious.  Exactly how high do such numbers need to get before the "threat is real" and more than token airstrikes and political hot air is expended?  

What is the threshold for "warfare"?

[NOTE: I am not claiming an allegiance to that web site nor have I ever even read it before today; just quoting some numbers on documented violent attacks in the recent past that involved a group of people that at least include ISIS as a subset].
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:16:03 PM by ulthar » Logged

--Real Genius
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2015, 08:36:11 PM »

Ulthar, I think its a serious problem for people who live in the Islamic countries where most of those attacks take place. Not sure what can reasonably be done beyond what we're doing now, though. Like crime and drug abuse, terrorism will always be with us. I can only suppose you want to send US ground troops to fight ISIS in a three-sided conflict, with the Russians supporting Assad? I disagree with that, sorry. Let Putin send troops to fight ISIS, he'll be happy to. Sorry, but I've already spent more time and paid more attention to this issue than I feel is warranted.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ulthar

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2015, 09:01:09 PM »

I can only suppose you want to send US ground troops to fight ISIS

At some point it might come to that.  Maybe.

For now, I'd settle for our government to stop trying to pretend the problem does not exist.  Shore up our nation's defense...operative word being "defense" ... here.

My contention is that pretending this problem will go away as formal "national policy" will not make it go away.  As I mentioned early on in this discussion, I have a bit of an Isolationist bent...our military is for protecting here.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  TERROR ATACKS IN PARIS « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.