Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:10 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  We have Kickstarter Sign « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: We have Kickstarter Sign  (Read 19218 times)
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 24, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »

You may or may not have heard about the Kickstarter to revive Mystery Science Theater 3000. So far, it's reached its initial goal of $2,000,000 to film three episodes. Each stretch goal reached will result in three more episodes, topping off at twelve. Should the next stretch goal be reached by the end of Thanksgiving (that's this Thursday for you foreigners), there will be a surprise reward.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:26:40 AM »

Yeah, I've been following it. I'll probably contribute a little something later. I am skeptical it can work but I'm willing to give it a chance.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »

I'm hearing, and I don't know if it's true, but the surprise reward if reached by Thanksgiving will be the three initial KTMA shows that nobody can find.  The rest of that season is available via the tapes that circulated. 

I'm hoping to contribute to this. 

Even if it hits the full 12, who knows if it'll be picked up elsewhere.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 01:17:31 PM »

I wouldn't bet on the "lost" KTMAs, Happy. They have never officially released the "found" KTMAs, so I would bet that's what Joel is hinting at.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:09:58 PM »

True.   Smile

At this rate, it looks like they're gonna at least hit $3.3 Million, so we'll at least hit 6 new episodes of the show.

Which, as a lifelong fan, I wouldn't have imagined in 2015.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:09 AM »

I am skeptical it can work but I'm willing to give it a chance.

No Mike, no Frank, no Trace, no Joel, no Bill, no Mary: no Kevin, no go.  Thumbdown

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:40:53 PM »

I'm sure Joel is involved in some capacity.  I doubt he'd do all this work for nothing.  He's at least writing, and cameo'ing on it. 

If the show went longer back in the day, we'd have had new hosts, Mad's, etc, anyway.  Sci-Fi Channel cancelled it so.

Their dream was to have it kinda like SNL, where it changes every few years.

He's invited everyone back that was involved.  Some said they won't do it, but I'm sure if they hit enough cash to fund it, they'll work things out. 

I'm excited for a new chapter in this.  At this point it looks like they'll hit enough for six episodes.  I hope they can do enough with that six to have a network pick it up for a full season.  Other shows have done reboots that have worked.  Plus it helps some new, younger comics launch their careers to the next level.  And all of them were fans of the show handpicked by Joel.  I have faith in him.  This doesn't seem like a cash grab.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »

Just over 48 hours to go. Looks like there will be 9 episodes (I doubt they can make it to 5.5 million for 12 episodes but maybe Joel has a trick up his sleeve. Could be an angel will swoop down at the last minute).

I'm going to go ahead and pre-order the DVDs from the add-on site. That's $85 for at least 9 episodes, a decent deal (assuming the new episodes don't suck!)

Just a hunch, but I am thinking the animated TITANIC movie will be one of their riff choices. Even more likely is one of the THUNDERBIRDS movies, since Shout already has the rights and we know Joel is a fan.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 07:53:23 PM »

We're guaranteed 9 episodes. 

I like the casting choices so far.  And I'm hearing (nothing official) that the Rifftrax guys (Mike, Bill, Kevin) will be involved in some capacity. 

Some of the writers write for Rick and Morty, and that's a fantastic show.  With Joel overseeing them, this could be good.  If it is only 9, fine, but I'm hoping someone, somewhere, sees the nine and what they can do, and helps them out.

Patton Oswalt being cast is great.

Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 10:44:13 PM »

Just over 48 hours to go. Looks like there will be 9 episodes (I doubt they can make it to 5.5 million for 12 episodes but maybe Joel has a trick up his sleeve. Could be an angel will swoop down at the last minute).

I'm going to go ahead and pre-order the DVDs from the add-on site. That's $85 for at least 9 episodes, a decent deal (assuming the new episodes don't suck!)

Just a hunch, but I am thinking the animated TITANIC movie will be one of their riff choices. Even more likely is one of the THUNDERBIRDS movies, since Shout already has the rights and we know Joel is a fan.

They're doing a final day telethon with a bunch of people, including some of the cast, Pendleton Ward (Adventure Time's creator), Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon.  I don't know if it'll be enough to grab the last 1.3 million, but considering they had $300k off Kickstarter that suddenly appeared (curious where that came from), I wouldn't be *too* surprised if it makes it from a combination of the telethon and some other outside source we don't know about.  Either way, it really sounds like Joel is trying to do it right... Roiland and Harmon doing some guest writing (I think Roiland could solo-riff a movie drunk and it'd be watchable, if not as refined as MST3K) is a terrific idea, and some of the other writers sound good too.  I'm looking forward to it.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 08:35:31 AM »

They're doing a final day telethon with a bunch of people, including some of the cast, Pendleton Ward (Adventure Time's creator), Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon.  I don't know if it'll be enough to grab the last 1.3 million, but considering they had $300k off Kickstarter that suddenly appeared (curious where that came from), I wouldn't be *too* surprised if it makes it from a combination of the telethon and some other outside source we don't know about.  Either way, it really sounds like Joel is trying to do it right... Roiland and Harmon doing some guest writing (I think Roiland could solo-riff a movie drunk and it'd be watchable, if not as refined as MST3K) is a terrific idea, and some of the other writers sound good too.  I'm looking forward to it.

I think the 300K comes from "add-ons" that they sell in the MST3K store, which they add to the Kickstarter total later.

Anybody who pledges even $1 gets a downloadable Rifftrax short. I pledged $1 and will pre-order the season from the store. I am still not 100% sold on the idea but I think it's worth a shot. Worst thing that happens is I get to see a bunch of bad movies with professional comedians making fun of them.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »

The 'add-ons' could push it.

I just checked and they're around $4.6 Million.  Will it hit the $5.5?  Who knows.  But there's literally 26 hours to go.

I'm excited.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 08:54:52 AM »

It needs to earn 500K on the last day. I have the feeling they have some angel lined up to swoop in and make up any shortfall so they will be sure to make it to the goal.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »

So looking at titles Shout Factory controls that might be suitable for MST3K, here's a fantasy Season 12:

EP 1101: BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS
EP 1102: BLACULA
EP 1103: BREAKIN' 2 IS ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
EP 1104: EMPIRE OF THE ANTS
EP 1105: THE FOOD OF THE GODS
EP 1106: FROGS
EP 1107: THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE
EP 1108: KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS
EP 1109: SWAMP THING
EP 1110:  MESSAGE FROM SPACE
EP 1111: REPTILICUS
EP 1112: STARCRASH

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »

And the stretch goal is for a 13th holiday special episode, so I will guess

EP 1113: SANTA WITH MUSCLES

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  We have Kickstarter Sign « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.