Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:46:47 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  We have Kickstarter Sign « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: We have Kickstarter Sign  (Read 19371 times)
javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 02:42:58 PM »

* Of course there are the voice changes. The most startling is Gypsy, who has gone from Jim Mallon doing a falsetto to being performed by an actual female woman of the opposite sex.

Isn't that a double negative type thing? Or is it a guy who identifies as a female?

Just giving you a hard time. As long as we have Patton Oswalt and Felicia Day, I'm a happy camper.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 02:16:56 PM »

And now it's available to anyone with a Netflix streaming subscription.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »

So looking at titles Shout Factory controls that might be suitable for MST3K, here's a fantasy Season 12:

EP 1101: BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS
EP 1102: BLACULA
EP 1103: BREAKIN' 2 IS ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
EP 1104: EMPIRE OF THE ANTS
EP 1105: THE FOOD OF THE GODS
EP 1106: FROGS
EP 1107: THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE
EP 1108: KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS
EP 1109: SWAMP THING
EP 1110:  MESSAGE FROM SPACE
EP 1111: REPTILICUS
EP 1112: STARCRASH

I got 2 out of 14 correct.  Smile That leaves 12 great new possible episodes!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »

It's BACK!!!!

LA LA LA

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 09:10:07 PM »

After watching episode 1, I have a few things to say.
Pros:
Love the new cast
Love the new set
Love how the bots now use their arms, Tom flies, And Gypsy comes from the top.

Cons:
Tom should have a deeper voice
The set may be too big, just focus in a bit more.
There's only 1 B&W film, I would love to have at least 2 more B&W films.

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2017, 04:23:58 PM »

I guess I'll post my reactions to the first episode here.

*A lot of the opening was spent on a one-time explanation of how Jonah got trapped on the SOL by Kinga. It was OK, not side-splitting but necessary. The Wil Weaton/Erin Gray cameo didn't do much for me.

*Jonah was inspired casting; he really fits the easy-going, slightly nerdy MST3K host mold. Servo and Crow are fine, no complaints.

*Felicia and Patton look like they are going to have great chemistry. They didn't get to do much in this episode but I am sure they will have a time to shine.

*But the new Gypsy is going to take some getting used to.

*Tom flying around the theater and Gypsy showing up to drop off and pick up stuff (and add the occasional riff) seem a little gimmicky. I'm sure I'll get used to it and they'll make some great jokes in time.

*I had trouble telling the voices apart in the theater.

*The movie is not my favorite. REPTILICUS is just a by-the-numbers GODZILLA clone set in Denmark (which is weird, but not weird enough to make it really stand out). Giant monsters are sort of familiar territory for the show, which may be why they chose it for the opening riff.

*The host segments were mostly meh, but the song was fantastic! Neither Joel nor Mike could have handled rapping like that. It was almost a classic moment, and if nothing else, it inspires confidence for the future.

It took MST3K all of a 13-episode Season 1 to iron out the kinks; Season 2 was a tremendous improvement. Similarly, when the show rebooted on the Sci-Fi Channel, it took them about 9 "practice" episodes before they started firing on all cylinders with THE GIANT SPIDER INVASION. With 14 episodes under their belt, I suspect that if the show is renewed for Season 12, they'll listen to all the feedback and make another great leap forward. Overall, I give this episode a 2.5/5 rating, maybe a 3/5 for nostalgia's sake. It's better than almost all of the Season 1 episodes, and in line with the opening episodes of Season 8. There was enough promise that I think they can get a good episode or two out of this season with the right movie. Looking forward to the rest of the season (I'll be viewing one per week).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2017, 08:40:16 AM »

So looking at titles Shout Factory controls that might be suitable for MST3K, here's a fantasy Season 12:

EP 1101: BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS
EP 1102: BLACULA
EP 1103: BREAKIN' 2 IS ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
EP 1104: EMPIRE OF THE ANTS
EP 1105: THE FOOD OF THE GODS
EP 1106: FROGS
EP 1107: THE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS MOVIE
EP 1108: KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS
EP 1109: SWAMP THING
EP 1110:  MESSAGE FROM SPACE
EP 1111: REPTILICUS
EP 1112: STARCRASH

I got 2 out of 14 correct.  Smile That leaves 12 great new possible episodes!

If Mark Hamill is going to be making semi-regular appearances, perhaps he could bring up a copy of the live action adaptation of The Guyver which he was in.
Jim H

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 09:38:26 PM »

The new doorway sequence is a treat for the eyes. However, it looks like it may be CG (not that there's anything wrong with that). If it isn't, color me impressed.

It's definitely miniatures just like the original.  Joel mentioned it in one of the updates.  They have way better video tech and it's a lot easier to make that kind of stuff now (3D printers, better wireless motors, etc) which is why it looks better.

I had a friend who was a heavy backer, so I saw a few episodes early and he also had a party where we watched a bunch in a row (honestly, probably not the ideal way to watch but it was fun).

My general thoughts:

They did a great job getting the general vibe back.  It feels like MST3k.  Jonah seems like a good new host, in performance and personality.  Seems a bit inbetween Mike and Joel if that makes sense.  Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt have good chemistry.  I like the additions to the bot movement.  Some pretty good songs.

Negatives...  I think Jonah and the new Tom Servo voice are too similar, can barely tell them apart.  I hope we get a bit more character based humor, which is one of the big things that differentiates MST3K from Riff Trax or Cinematic Titanic.  The pacing and style of jokes, it at times reminded me a bit more of Riff Trax than MST3k.  Still, I'd agree with Rev that the eps I saw generally reminded me of the average ones from like season 8.

Brief episode thoughts:

Reptilicus - This movie is too slow, dull and repetitive to be very interesting riffing material.  It's still a decent episode, and I enjoyed the musical introductory number.

Cry Wilderness - Utterly bonkers film, hard to even describe.  Perfect MST3k material, and the strongest episode I've seen.  Pretty funny from beginning to end.

Time Travelers - Really really slow movie.  I was falling asleep.  The riffs are fine, but can't save it. 

Avalanche - Slow film, has a few good lines.  Decent.

Beast of Hollow Mountain - a bad B western that has a hilarious stop motion T-rex at the end.  The dinosaur stuff is hilarious, but the bland opening hour is hard to find much material to riff on.  Just OK.

Starcrash - I like the film (only one I own on disc), and the riffs are pretty solid.  Good one.

Land That Time Forgot - I have no idea how I'd never seen the original film before, would have been right up my alley as a kid.  Film is a mixed bag - I actually like most of the monsters, particularly the design - actually kind of creepy, and the matte work and rear projection is quite good.  The pterodactyls look awful though.  As a vehicle for MST3k, it has its moments, but the film gets a bit repetitive and isn't quite bad enough to riff super well.

Loves of Hercules - What a stinker of a film, yeeeesh.  Incredibly dull and boring.  I liked the hydra prop, even if it can barely.   Some good riffs, but again, the film is so slow moving it gets a bit hard to watch.
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2017, 02:23:55 PM »

Cry Wilderness - Utterly bonkers film, hard to even describe.  Perfect MST3k material, and the strongest episode I've seen.  Pretty funny from beginning to end.

The description I've heard (and it's a reasonably accurate one) is Pod People crossed with Boggy Creek 2, with a hint of The Final Sacrifice.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  We have Kickstarter Sign « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.