Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:41:09 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Remembering a friend . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Remembering a friend . . .  (Read 1624 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: November 28, 2015, 07:37:42 PM »

Today was a tough day.  I spoke at the memorial service of a dear friend and arrowhead hunting buddy, John K. Smith of Mabank, TX.  I met John back in 1994, and we did a lot of walking, grubbing, and hunting together over the last 21 years. We had more crazy adventures than I can describe here, but I enjoyed every one of them.  He was a hunter, fisherman, artifact collector, and story teller par excellence.  My life is richer for having known him, and I want to thank his wife Suzann and his kids for asking me to come and speak at his life celebration today.  It was a gathering he would have been proud of!  Lots of great stories, friends, family, and food.

OK, just ONE story here. Back in 1996, our local lake got about 8 feet low and we discovered an Indian camp that had never been touched by anyone.  Tons of pottery, firecracked rock, and arrow points scattered in a rather loose mud - the only problem was, it was in about 4 or 5 feet of water.  No problem for me - I have near zero buoyancy, so I would dive down to the bottom and fill my little hand held sifter with artifact-rich mud, then stand up and sift thru it.  John was a human cork - he would try to dive and bob right back up!  So he went to Wal-Mart, bought a mailbox on a pole, punched out the back of it and replaced it with hardware cloth, and used it as a giant scoop!  He went out the next day and found 52 whole points in a single day!  (For the record, I've been doing this since 1977 and have NEVER had a 50 point day - EVER!)  I told him just how much he sucked,  and he just laughed and went out the next day and found 54 points! God, I am going to MISS this guy!  Cancer absolutely sucks.

(BTW, John will be arriving in heaven shortly - he stopped in the middle of the Jordan River to throw out a jug line and check the gravel bars for Clovis points!)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »

Sorry for your loss, Indy.

Sounds like you do have some great memories of your friend.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »

Sorry for the loss of your friend.  You and he will be in my prayers.

You gave him the best kind of tribute, though.  The point is not in how we die, but how we live.  Sounds like your buddy lived his life.

Peace to you and his family.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flangepart

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 01:13:32 PM »

The hardest thing about good friends, is losing them. The only thing harder...is not having met them in the first place.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 05:23:40 AM »

Glad to hear you are remembering the good times. My thoughts are with you and your friends family.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:09:11 AM »

Thanks guys!  I appreciate your thoughts.  Not sure why I posted this here except I just wanted you all to know about him.

John was a really great guy.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:44:33 AM »

Thanks guys!  I appreciate your thoughts.  Not sure why I posted this here except I just wanted you all to know about him.

John was a really great guy.

I nearly choked on my Coke when you told us what he did with the mailbox  TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »

I'm sorry, a good friend is a great treasure. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »

Nice memories.  And life goes on.  You should be proud that your love was honored as you honored your friend.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Remembering a friend . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.