Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:21:08 AM
714311 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015)  (Read 18603 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: December 18, 2015, 12:12:10 AM »

I just got in from the theater, and I'm still grinning.

First of all, NO SPOILERS in this thread please!  Now, my impressions:

You have to know I am a true first generation STAR WARS fan.  I was 13 years old when my girlfriend and I went to see Episode IV together, and I was spellbound from the moment the wonderful phrase "A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away . . ." crawled across the screen until the final scene at the end when Luke, Han, and Chewie receive their medals.

Now, nearly 39 years later, I was holding hands with the same girl - still a girl in my eyes, at least, my best girl forever! - and saw those familiar words and John Williams magnificent score starting up again.  I wanted to believe that the magic would finally be recaptured - that the joy, awe, and wonder of the first movie would find life again in this new installment.

And they did.  Hallelujah, they did!

This movie has it all - eye-popping effects, great new characters, totally psycho villains, beloved cast members from the original film finally returning, hair-raising exploits, narrow escapes, and the promise of a new tradition that will finally equal the original trilogy.

What it doesn't have is Jar-Jar, Ewoks, or any other attempt to make it "cute" or kid-friendly.  Yes, there is some humor, but there is treachery, death, and destruction on a massive scale.

If you are a STAR WARS fan, you will love this movie!
If you are not a STAR WARS fan, you may well be one when you walk out!

5/5 for this one.  I'm STILL grinning.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 03:38:15 AM »

I read somewhere - no spoilers - that one character from the original series is killed: is that true?

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:24:24 AM »

I can neither confirm nor deny . . .  TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 07:25:01 AM »

I agree with indy. This installment takes us back to the spirit of the original trilogy. It is character-driven, introducing us to new people and places, but with plenty of action to keep  us on the edge of our seats.

I give it my Star Wars Geek Seal of Approval.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 12:41:13 PM »

I seen the original when it first came out-it was ok.
Never watched the sequels.
STAR WARS killed Famous Monsters magazine-a sin I cant forgive. Sorry-It killed the drive ins too.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 07:12:53 PM »

Indy, the best part of your review is the context.  At 13, watching the original Star Wars, you were holding hands with your girlfriend.  39 years later, you're holding hands with the same girl, watching the new Star Wars.  Super sweet and super cool.  Long may you live!  Cheers

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 07:38:03 PM »

Believe it or not, we met in second grade - 45 years ago, give or take!

(And she still likes me!)

VenomX73

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 08:27:19 PM »

I got my tickets reserved for Sunday!

I'm happy to hear the reviews coming in EVERYWHERE are all positive!

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 11:25:24 PM »

My thoughts on The Force Awakens...

That was a damn good film!

So looking forward to much more Star Wars now!

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 11:59:25 PM »

I've seen a couple of folks not like it, but overall, it's been very well received.

Jim H

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 06:02:59 PM »

I've seen a couple of folks not like it, but overall, it's been very well received.

I've now talked to 5 people who've seen it and read a number of opinions elsewhere.  It seems like the most hardcore fans, really into it, read a lot of the extra crap in the expanded universe, etc, have the most problems.  People who loved the original series, but weren't huge fans of the prequels, like the new one but don't love it.  People who like the films but aren't big fans quite like the film.  Others fall all over the map, but most definitely like it.  Critics like it.  Of course, these are just broad generalizations.  But it was interesting to see all the people I've talked to fall into those first four categories pretty well.  I'm in the second category - love the original films, didn't love the prequels (thought III is alright), have seen/played other SW stuff but not hugely into it, and I like the Force Awakens.  The two BIG fans I know complained about everything under the sun in Episode VII. 

Here's my opinion:

The Force Awakens is a good film.  That's the starting point, I think.  It's generally well acted across the board, has compelling new characters and finds use for old ones, is never boring, does a great job showing a world with a lot of practical effects, good action scenes, and is fun and funny.  My complaints are more a matter of degree than gaping flaws.  Basically, none of it is as great as I'd have liked, if that makes sense.  The old characters are used pretty well.  But not great.  The pacing is a little TOO fast, there's no time to absorb what's going on.  There's a few too many characters.  The quips feel a little too much like a Marvel film.  Actually, the whole movie feels like a Marvel film, especially in pacing.  Not much is really memorable, in the way scenes in the original films are.  Kylo Ren is interesting, but not SUPER interesting.  I'll maybe so more later. 

I'm not sure how I'd rate it...  Somewhere around a 7 or an 8 out of 10.  Better than all the prequels, worse than all three original films.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »

I think people make it all way too complicated sometimes.

I thought the movie rocked.  I was entertained.  :)

It was the movie that episode 1 should have been, imho.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:52:56 AM by Zapranoth » Logged
VenomX73

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 10:33:15 PM »

That's how I feel right now... can't say much more in this topic...

Movie was 5 out of 5  Thumbup

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Nathan45
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 12:18:57 PM »

Also, Harrison Ford is actually playing Han Solo, not Harrison Ford cashing a paycheck.  This was critical for the success of the movie.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »

I still haven't seen it. Still hope to see it on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but . . .?! here are some figures for it. All figures in millions.

$517  worldwide
--$238 domestically
--$279 internationally

$350 to make and market
--$200 to make
--$150 to market

$48 Imax or double the previous total

Opening record in the U.S., where it beat the previous record set by "Jurassic World" by $30. And the sequel to "Jurassic World" set for 2018.

Also record openings in . . .
U.K.
Russia
Germany
Australia
and 14 other countries.

Where it is playing better in Europe than in Asia and the rest of the Americas and/or in English speaking countries than non-English speaking countries.

It started out being 66% male audience and 34% female audience, but . . .?! As more women saw the film, that percentage slipped to 58% male and 42% female. With 63% of the audience being 26 or older.

Whole families are seeing it in costume here in the U.S., and children in Germany are going to church in Star Wars costumes. Bodes well for the fact that it is expected to sell more merchandise than movie tickets.

2016 Rogue One
2018 Han Solo
2020 Boba Fett?

The era of storytelling in films is back.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.