Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:55:55 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Forced to Kill (1994) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Forced to Kill (1994)  (Read 5629 times)
claws
« on: January 07, 2016, 03:23:56 AM »

A repo man who also happens to be a skilled fighter is kidnapped by rednecks while delivering a repossessed car to its rightful owner. Big money is to be made in an illegal  fighting tournament, and the now enslaved repo man is forced to fight and win, or otherwise...

Vanity project by stuntman Corey Michael Eubanks and his only shot at joining the van Damme wannabes. Eubanks teamed with PM Entertainment, and hired a couple of B's for acting: Michael Ironside as the evil sheriff surprisingly not chewing scenery, one of the Swayze brothers, and the ever reliable Clint Howard including his father. Eubanks himself is not much of an actor but he's kind of "natural" which makes him somewhat likable. He is way better at doing his stuntman stuff though, including car chases and crashes.
Forced to Kill doesn't offer anything new but there's a different setting (backwoods), unbelievable modern day slavery, sleazy abuse by hillbillies, satisfying muscle-head humiliation, gratuitous C&W bar dancing and a few violent shootouts. The combat scenes are ok but lazy as they sometimes recycle same scenes.

Bad but fun 1990s flashback to the heydays of direct-to-video action crap.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:26:14 PM »

never heard of this. it's on youtube but dubbed in portugese, bah.........

I'm starting to think the art of the bad movie did extend into the mid 90s. I used to have around 89-90 as a fairly strict cut off point. by the late 90s onwards I honestly don't know any truly great bad movies that have the same atmosphere as the 70s/80s stuff

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 11:42:08 PM »

never heard of this. it's on youtube but dubbed in portugese, bah.........

I'm starting to think the art of the bad movie did extend into the mid 90s. I used to have around 89-90 as a fairly strict cut off point. by the late 90s onwards I honestly don't know any truly great bad movies that have the same atmosphere as the 70s/80s stuff

I think I have an idea of the feel you mean, but could you name a few examples?  Are you talking like Cannon's action films?

By the way, I'd never heard of this, which is kind of shocking considering Michael Ironside and Don Swayze's presence.  For those who haven't, the trailer is worth a watch on its own merits.  The narrator and a few lines of dialogue make it sound light hearted, then it has slavery, rape threats, and murder.  Fun. 

Also, the movie looks both cheap and expensive at the same time.  Seriously.  Some aspects of the production make it look REAL cheap or maybe just poorly made, but the stunt and action scenes look top notch for this type of film.  That helicopter shot in frame with an actor fairly close on a moving boat is a legitimately dangerous stunt, something you'll rarely see in the post-Twilight Zone era.  If someone is willing to drop money on it, it's less than $5 with Prime on Amazon.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »

I think I have an idea of the feel you mean, but could you name a few examples?  Are you talking like Cannon's action films?

action films, horror, martial arts, comedies...really I can't be more specific than saying there's just a certain ambience/atmosphere/style to all kinds of bad movies pre-1990 which I don't feel from anything made past about 93 or 4 at the latest... 70s and 80s films obviously have their own distinct styles from each other as well, but I'm generalising. I guess I can't explain it too well, lol

Jim H

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 12:58:51 PM »

action films, horror, martial arts, comedies...really I can't be more specific than saying there's just a certain ambience/atmosphere/style to all kinds of bad movies pre-1990 which I don't feel from anything made past about 93 or 4 at the latest... 70s and 80s films obviously have their own distinct styles from each other as well, but I'm generalising. I guess I can't explain it too well, lol

I think I know what you mean, it is hard to explain but I generally feel the same way.  I think part of it had to do with almost always being forced to shoot on film with limited film stocks that mandated certain lighting conditions - this kept the productions to a certain minimum standard for the most part (meaning gaffers, heavy cameras on tripods usually, someone who understands all the tech, and therefore minimum budget levels generally), creates typical aesthetic looks, and also pushes productions in various ways that more modern films don't have.  Couple this factor with major editing changes that came after the late 1980s (short shot lengths, a lot more edits) and political stuff, coupled with an overabundance of cheap films in the 90s diluting the video cash flow, and the films changed a lot.  The writing also became somehow...  More self-aware in some way, even though the movies themselves aren't self-aware?  I don't know how else to describe it.  Like the writers were more conscious they were writing a movie, even though nothing in the films really indicates this.

One interesting bit: aspects of this atmosphere and aesthetic remain in Hong Kong (and probably other regions, I'm just familiar with Hong Kong) films up until like 2000, maybe even later.  I think this was because their budgets were low and they kept using older film stocks, equipment and techniques.

Actually a very good movie, but look at the trailer for Beast Cops and remember it was shot in 1998 (sometimes you can tell with the color, but it usually looks like an 80s film).  Also, the bit at 1:28 the guy had just asked for a condom for context (no subtitles).   TeddyR

! No longer available Small | Large
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »

think Ive heard of beast cops, not seen it. the way the title screen came in at around 2 mins looked pretty bad, lol

I think part of it had to do with almost always being forced to shoot on film with limited film stocks that mandated certain lighting conditions - this kept the productions to a certain minimum standard for the most part (meaning gaffers, heavy cameras on tripods usually, someone who understands all the tech, and therefore minimum budget levels generally), creates typical aesthetic looks, and also pushes productions in various ways that more modern films don't have.  
yeah, along those lines I do tend to subscribe to the theory that when it comes to entertainment (especially music, film and videogames) the more elaborate and advanced the technology gets in order to facilitate creative ideas, the less creative people tend to get.  that is another generalisation obviously, but most newer films do now all seem look and feel like exactly the same movie to me, but with different actors. every aspect of how to do various things in a movie seems to have become very standardised somehow?  maybe im watching the wrong films...then again just as a comparison, all the videogames my brother has for his playstation 4 literally look like exactly the same game. the old spectrum 48k I used to have in the 80s/early 90s may have been technically crap but it had tons of amazingly varied and creative games.

The writing also became somehow...  More self-aware in some way, even though the movies themselves aren't self-aware?  I don't know how else to describe it.  Like the writers were more conscious they were writing a movie, even though nothing in the films really indicates this.
funny, I was actually thinking something along similar lines to this. but yeah its hard to pinpoint.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:29:58 PM by zombie #1 » Logged

Jim H

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:56:02 AM »

One small aside, for the real creativity in video games, you mostly need to look at PC indie games.  Tiny budgets, tiny production crews, but the tools to make and publish games are much more readily available on PC, and you can find numerous interesting, creative, and strange games because of this.  As one major example, Undertale is winning some game of the year awards (including IGN's of PC), and graphically it looks like a late 80s PC game and was made almost entirely by one guy, Toby Fox.

I think much of the same things apply with film - from the 90s til today, a lot of the real film creativity comes from the indie scene, and today you can make a film for basically nothing other than time, provided you have volunteers to help. 
Archivist

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 08:03:49 PM »

It looks like a fun film, although it seems to have that Don Wilson look, about which I'm a little iffy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XhvvJz6i0

The Cannon Group movies were quite decently made in relation to the later lower budget movies.  Enter the Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja, the Missing In Action series, all had a good aesthetic with reasonable cinematography.

I think that part of the change in feel came from the increasingly lower budgets, and the resulting lowering of standards in direction, cinematography and editing.  There was a seeming blitz in action movies in the 90's, thanks to Don Wilson's kickboxing movies.  Lots of movies were made to cash into the kickboxing movie craze, which later evolved into movies like Shootfighter, and now into considerably better movies like Scott Adkins Undisputed movies.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Forced to Kill (1994) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.