Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:06:46 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What year did you become a movie geek? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What year did you become a movie geek?  (Read 9502 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: January 07, 2016, 10:40:13 AM »

I aint really a movie geek-mostly a monster movie geek.
I think it may be as early when I seen FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943) in 1967-I was 5.
But I think by 1969-when I read my first Famous Monsters magazine-I went apes**t.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 12:38:11 PM »

Probably when my family got its first VCR when I was 16 and I went out and rented THE GODFATHER, TAXI DRIVER, all the Monty Python movies, BARBARIAN QUEEN, THE CHEERLEADERS... all the classics!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 03:38:29 PM »

My second or third movie ever was DeLauerntis' King Kong in the theatre.   From there it was Saturday Matinees of monster films at the base theatre and then  Night Flight on USA. 

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »

Somewhere around the age of 4 or 5. My oldest brother, who I looked up to in both meanings of the term, watched Fantastic Theater. http://tulsatvmemories.com/fantastic.html Check out the theme music and Peter Hardt's voice. Awesome stuff.

Naturally, if he liked it, I liked it. And, like RC, once I found Famous Monsters magazine, that was all she wrote. I was addicted.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »

When I was around 5 or 6 years old, there was a three o'clock show on Sunday afternoons called FAMILY THEATER that featured all the old classic monster films - DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN, THE WOLFMAN, and many others.  I would watch them every Sunday after church with my Aunt Willie, burying my face in her arms during the scary parts!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »

as far as bad movies I really liked "Pigs in Space" on The Muppet Show and also the live action Spider Man on electric company. I always thought what some people would call campy and cheap was stylish and entertaining.

as for movies proper: I think the first ones I got into were late night horror movies, usually some sort of animal attacking, different movies with a Satanic theme (that was very taboo in the 80's), of course Elvira. my sister got a job at a video store at one point and I got to rent movies for free. that set in motion endless rentals of horror and kung fu which are still the base.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 01:22:32 AM »

Friends of my parents dragged me along to see this POS in 1973 when I was six:

I hated it: that is when I became a bad movie fan although it nearly put me off watching films forever.

Then the following year, my parents took me to see this and that is when I became a movie geek:

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »

In the late 70s I was a Star Wars crazed grade school kid. I'd always liked going to the movies and watching them on cable but I don't think my movie-nerd obsession was truly planted till my family got our first VCR in the mid 80s.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »

I can't recall a time when I wasn't; when I was three, I saw the original FRANKENSTEIN on "The Nite Movie", and I was enthralled....and crying.  Ma thought it was because I was scared, but I explained to her that I was sad for the monster-he hadn't done anything, and everyone was mistreating him.

When I was little, as long as I didn't have to get up early for school, I was allowed to sit up and watch the movie(s) after the news, with the provisio that, if Ma or my grandfather got up and found me asleep in front of the tv, I'd lose the privilege. So, I learned to shut off the set and go to bed if I got sleepy. I saw comedies, westerns, melodramas, horror, sci-fi, and I loved all of it....still do.

Some of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen were the ones where the TV Guide  would just say, "Movie".

This one comes immediately to mind....

! No longer available Small | Large

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:21:09 PM by alandhopewell » Logged

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 04:24:36 PM »

I took the film studies class my junior year of high school (1992) but failed that class.  I guess he was really tough due to him not wanting students to think that they could just watch movies the entire semester and not have to work.

Probably 2003 or so when I started watching MST3K pretty seriously is when I really became a movie geek - especially bad ones.  I wrote to that teacher a couple years ago and said that he should consider inflicting Manos on his film studies students just to show how bad movies could get. 

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »

I grew up with a vcr and 80s horror.

Plus, in Philly, there was a UHF station, each weekend was themed. One weekend was martial arts, the next horror, and then Sci-fi like Gamera

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 11:21:49 PM »

I can't recall a time when I wasn't; when I was three, I saw the original FRANKENSTEIN on "The Nite Movie", and I was enthralled....and crying.  Ma thaught it was because I was scared, but I explained to her that I was sad for the monster-he hadn't done anything, and everyone was mistreating him.

When I was little, as long as I didn't have to get up early for school, I was allowed to sit up and watch the movie(s) after the news, with the provisio that, if Ma or my grandfather got up and found me asleep in front of the tv, I'd lose the privilege. So, I learned to shut off the set and go to bed if I got sleepy. I saw comedies, westerns, melodramas, horror, sci-fi, and I loved all of it....still do.

Some of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen were the ones where the TV Guide  would just say, "Movie".

This one comes immediately to mind....

! No longer available

I lived in upstate NY-Milton NY to be exact-and I usta watch this show-

Small | Large

then when I lived in Paw Paw Michigan,in 1969,I watched Double Creature Feature on channel 28,UHF out of Indiana-I saw old Universals, 1950's monster movies,and weird s**t like BEAST OF MOROCCO and ASTRO ZOMBIES. I started collecting the Aurora models-I had books,posters,skulls,puzzles,a Frankenstein garbage can,the Mego toys,rubber jiggly monsters on elastic strings,those corny monster bubble gum cards,-I had a black lite Frankenstein poster!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 11:36:42 PM »

It seems I see a common factor here-we most all started very,VERY, young.
That's interesting in some kinda way.  Question
Cripes-I wonder why some folks are almost BORN to be obsessed by a certain...I dunno-thing.
Well-I'm glad Im a Monster geek-It's better than obsessing with women's shoes with the feet still in them.
In his closet....MooohoooHAHAHAHAha!  Buggedout

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:39:49 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 01:10:50 AM »

Hard to say...
It might have been when Star Wars came out, and for the first time in our lives, life was centered around a movie. Even when we still went "OutSide" to play, even long after it had left theaters, we couldn't get enough toys, trading cards & picture books, and was a factor in every pretend adventure.

Or it might have been when cable came out, and our parents would try one or two of those premium channels, and we'd get to see Star Wars rip offs we'd otherwise never heard of.

Or it might have been when UHF started to catch on, showing old reruns by day, and by night, classic sci-fi, lot's of kung fu, horror, action, as long as it was cheesy.

I think a big one for me, was when I'd had my own cheap black & white for a year & my parents got divorced, so the bedtime concept went out the window, and I started watching those movies that come on between midnight & six AM. The more I'd watch, the titles would get more obscure, the plots would get sillier, the content sleazier, and sometimes the censors would miss something...

I'd had a VCR for several years before we had our first video rental store. I would visit those pretty regularly, renting all those movies that my mom wouldn't let me see when they were in theaters. But I don't think it was until I saw Not Of This Earth (1988) with it's plethora of borrowed footage that I really began to obsess.

Then again, my high school library had a copy of The Book Of Cult Movies by Danny Perry...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 11:17:13 AM »

It seems I see a common factor here-we most all started very,VERY, young.

Agreed!  I do not know when I first watched bad movies, but I know I sat with my Dad at a very young age and learned from him to love them.  I have a very early memory of a babysitter allowing me to watch "THEM" on TV, maybe around 1963-4.  Also know I saw Lugosi's Dracula with Dad very early on, as well as Frankenstein and the Wolfman and Attack of the Crab Monsters.  Must have been back in the mid 1960's.  62-67.  Somewhere in there.  Yeah, I'm old.   Lookingup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What year did you become a movie geek? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.