Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:53:01 PM
714247 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Oh hell no... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oh hell no...  (Read 2996 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 12, 2016, 04:20:29 AM »

Not everyone is happy with the choice of director for the yet-unnamed Star Wars: Episode IX. Some fans are asking Disney to replace Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World) with the saga's original creator, George Lucas. The Change.org petition currently sits at roughly 17,000 signatures, with 25,000 as its next target.

Before you worry about a hypothetical "Star Wars: Episode IX - Binks Lives," keep in mind there's about zero percent chance this will happen. Lucas wasn't strong armed out of ownership by a bullying cartoon mouse and JJ Abrams (the latter of which has nothing to do with Episode IX anyway); he sold the rights in a contractual business deal. As he said in November, "I will go my way, and I'll let them go their way." This isn't exactly a new situation for Lucas either, considering he didn't direct The Empire Strikes Back nor Return of the Jedi.

But let's entertain this notion just a little bit. After all, we very nearly complimented the prequels, noting that Lucas (almost) wrote a great story. Assuming it could happen and having seen the Disney approach, would you want to see Lucas in the director's chair for the final chapter of the new trilogy?

Over the years I have heard Lucas critize many of the best parts of Star Wars (from Han shooting first through to not liking the lived in and battered look of the new movies against everything looking shiny and new as per the prequels), and I long ago came to the conclussion that Lucas just got really lucky with Star Wars. Am I alone here? Would other people seriously like to see him return to the franchise?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 05:45:21 AM »

Would other people seriously like to see him return to the franchise?

If that is true, then all I have to say is

Lucas made enough money off the sale of Lucasfilm to live on forever: he shouldn't come anywhere near Star Wars again.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 07:51:51 PM »

I liked the first two, but can't claim to be a fan of any of them.  And I think his story line is... stoopid. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »

Not everyone is happy with the choice of director for the yet-unnamed Star Wars: Episode IX. Some fans are asking Disney to replace Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World) with the saga's original creator, George Lucas. The Change.org petition currently sits at roughly 17,000 signatures, with 25,000 as its next target.

Before you worry about a hypothetical "Star Wars: Episode IX - Binks Lives," keep in mind there's about zero percent chance this will happen. Lucas wasn't strong armed out of ownership by a bullying cartoon mouse and JJ Abrams (the latter of which has nothing to do with Episode IX anyway); he sold the rights in a contractual business deal. As he said in November, "I will go my way, and I'll let them go their way." This isn't exactly a new situation for Lucas either, considering he didn't direct The Empire Strikes Back nor Return of the Jedi.

But let's entertain this notion just a little bit. After all, we very nearly complimented the prequels, noting that Lucas (almost) wrote a great story. Assuming it could happen and having seen the Disney approach, would you want to see Lucas in the director's chair for the final chapter of the new trilogy?

Over the years I have heard Lucas critize many of the best parts of Star Wars (from Han shooting first through to not liking the lived in and battered look of the new movies against everything looking shiny and new as per the prequels), and I long ago came to the conclussion that Lucas just got really lucky with Star Wars. Am I alone here? Would other people seriously like to see him return to the franchise?

I wouldn't mind seeing him return as a co-writer.  Inject more new ideas, just filter out the stupid ones.  He really did come up with a lot of great ideas.

But he's not a great director.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:21:03 PM »

I think it is all up to him, because as far as I know, he has expressed no interest in directing any of the sequels. neither Episode IX nor the ones thereafter, and at this moment, my money is there will be Episodes after IX. For a number of reasons.

1st. The latest film is proving to be a cash cow. The top grossing film at the domestic box office with a take to date of over $800 million, and an international box office of $1.8 billion for 3rd place.

2nd. There are still stories out there to be told. I think someone said there's about, more or less, 10,000 years of history in the Star Wars Universe after Episode VII.

3rd. I keep hearing that the series should wrap up sometime in the mid 2020's. The only way that would happen, with Episode IX being released in 2019, is if there are 3 more episodes after IX.
Episode X in 2021
Episode XI in 2023.
Episode XII in 2025.

But . . .?! We shall see what we shall see.
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:40:00 PM »

You have seen stuff on Rogue One, and the news about the other spinoffs?  Even if they just do spin-off films, they can keep doing those til they cease to be profitable, new episodes or not.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »

More thoughts that just reinforce previous thoughts.

4TH. Only if he is interested.
Because of the respect that he had for him, JJ went to George and asked him if he'd be interested in being involved in the making of Episode VII, and George's basic answer was "Thanks, but no thanks," and I haven't heard anything differently so far.

5TH. That's 17,000 people who don't know how business is done in Hollywood.
No, that's an exaggeration, but . . .?! Still . . .?! Maybe less than other places, but . . .?! business is still done in Hollywood on trust and a bit of pixie dust, backed up by a battery of lawyers.  So. you really, really don't want to fire anyone without justifiable cause, if only because, if he's smart, he has a "play or pay" deal, which means even if you fire him without just cause, you still have to pay him his agreed salary and percentage, and then you still have to find and pay someone else to direct and pay him or her, and the reason give is not a justifiable cause (IMHO.)

6TH. One is underestimating the influence that Disney has in making of the film. Yes, they have some influence, but . . .?! So far they maintain the smart hands off position. One would probably be better off petitioning President of Lucas Film Kathleen Kennedy, who probably has more influence on who will make the film than Disney. Not that she is any more likely to fire Colin than Disney is.

7TH. How much ever Episode VII finally makes at the box office, both domestically and internationally, by the end of its run at the box office. That'll be less than half of what it'll make in merchandise sales by the end of this year or 2016. And that is only in merchandise sales, and does not include other ancillary profits, which we'll talk about later. Thus, it behooves everyone to continue with episodes beyond VIII and IX, as long as they continue to be profitable, and, by which time, George may be interested once again in directing.

But . . .?! We'll see what we'll see.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Oh hell no... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.