Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:01:16 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  10 Cloverfield Lane « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 10 Cloverfield Lane  (Read 5197 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: March 11, 2016, 10:52:18 PM »

Let me start off by saying this is NOT a prequel/sequel/side story to Cloverfield (2008).  The only real tangible connection is the name and the fact that it was made by the same people.  A quick search on the internet confirmed something I wondered about on the way home from the theater.  This was originally a different movie that they slapped a recognizable name on to.

I'd say they only other connection to the original is that this is a small story set on the edges of a much bigger event.  

A young woman Michelle played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead, is driving away from her fiance after a fight.  She''s in a car accident and wakes up chained to the wall of an underground bunker owned by John Goodman's character Howard Stambler.  He tells her he saved her life because an attack of some sort has caused the apocalypse.  So she, Howard and another survivor Emmett, are forced to stay underground.  

Events cause Michelle and Emmett to question whether or not Howard is telling the truth, and if they should try to face the possible danger outside.

I debated whether or not to put this in the bad  movie section because if you go in hoping for a proper Cloverfield sequel, you'll be disappointed.  But, on its own-the movie is not bad.  The performances are strong, particularly from John Goodman.  The only one I felt was a little weak was John Gallagher, Jr as Emmett-but again he wasn't terrible.  There's good tension throughout the movie.  Several people jumped during one particular scene in the showing I was at.

There is one disappointing aspect of the movie I'd like to talk about, but since it spoils the end of the movie, I'll wait before talking about it.

So its a good movie that suffers mostly because they tried to connect it to another franchise.

RANT BELOW:  (Potential spoilers implied)

So I've got the Wikipedia page of this film open in another browser tab, and it says the reason JJ Abrams and his crew aren't going to do a proper Cloverfield sequel is because they think giant monster movies are now played out.  You know how many American giant monster movies got a proper theatrical release since the original Cloverfield?  (08)  Pacific Rim in 2013 and Godzilla in 2014.   At best maybe you could stretch it to six in a close time frame, if you count King Kong (2005), those lousy Clash of the Titans remakes sand Jurassic World (2015).  But I know a lot of people who don't count those as giant monster films.

So I'm going to call that reason as BS because if Abrams is involved with all 3 new Star Wars films, he's connected to SIX space operas.  And I know more have come out between those.  Not to mention all the super hero movies, vampire movies, zombie movies, and YA adaptations that try to catch some of that Twilight, Hunger Games and Harry Potter money.

I'm sorry.  none of that is really a dig against the film, just some of the people behind it.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:44:47 AM »

Finally saw it, I'll give it 3.5/5. Flirted with greatness, but the tone shift at the end didn't work for me. It's a tense three-person thriller, not too much like the original CLOVERFIELD, but I do wonder if they will make more movies with CLOVERFIELD in the name. Might be interesting to have a pseudo-franchise where every movie is in a slightly different style.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 01:35:18 AM »

I finally got to see this, and I liked it a lot. The 'Cloverfield' in the title is either a cheap marketing trick, or some very subtle method of world building, as it isn't exactly obvious what this movie has to do with the original Cloverfield.

That being said, it is a tense an claustrophobic three person thriller, with John Goodman doing a great job as the slightly unhinged survivalist. As a viewer, you're constantly kept guessing whether the main danger is outside or inside the bunker.

The one thing that didn't work for me is, that in the last ten minutes or so, it suddenly turns into an action movie. While those scenes aren't bad as such, they are jarring with what came before. It is almost as if during one the production meetings, one of the executives said 'sure we can make this movie, but we'll need an action scene', and the creative team responded 'Well, I suppose we can stick one in at the end'., and that was that.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 10:40:13 AM »

I liked it, but i can see why most people didnt. i was hoping for a little kaiju action though. I thought it was done very well and I think iys worth watching just because of john goodmans disturbing performance. The other actors, not so much.  It seems like "cloverfield" was deliberatley added to the title to make it a little more successfull. Misleading.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:35:54 AM »

Finally saw it, I'll give it 3.5/5. Flirted with greatness, but the tone shift at the end didn't work for me. It's a tense three-person thriller, not too much like the original CLOVERFIELD, but I do wonder if they will make more movies with CLOVERFIELD in the name. Might be interesting to have a pseudo-franchise where every movie is in a slightly different style.

I have to agree, though I think the ending didn't quite jar as bad for me.  So, just barely an 8/10.  Enjoyable, and John Goodman's excellent performance really buoys the film. 

Also, I watched this immediately after Suicide Squad.  That was an interesting contrast, considering it has under 1/10th the budget.  10 Cloverfield Lane is far superior. 
dean

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:52:49 PM »

I like this subtle method of world building. It's like Rogue One; sometimes the universe isn't all Jedis (or in this case, giant monsters.)

I would suggest that the big Kaiju isn't as popular as say space operas like Star Wars/Trek etc so I think they have an understandbale concern about playing it out, and I have to say I'm interested in exploring this universe a bit more as it's getting into War of the worlds territory.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  10 Cloverfield Lane « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.