Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:34:44 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  WATERSHIP DOWN (1978) LORD OF THE RINGS (1978) on TCM TODAY !!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WATERSHIP DOWN (1978) LORD OF THE RINGS (1978) on TCM TODAY !!!  (Read 2960 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: March 25, 2016, 01:42:58 PM »

WATERSHIP DOWN (1978) and LORD OF THE RINGS (1978) on TCM TODAY !!!  

Two interesting and worthwhile animated films are on TCM this afternoon.  They are running animations all day (at least 'til primetime).  

LORD OF THE RINGS (1978) 3:30pm EST

And a film everyone should make a point to look at:

WATERSHIP DOWN (1978) 6pm EST

Small | Large
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:36:23 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »

I remember seeing both of those in the theater when I was 7.  Pretty shocking for me to see cute little bunnies chew and claw each other to ribbons.  I also got confused watching live footage combined with animation in LOTR (rotoscoping).

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:27:48 PM »

I remember seeing both of those in the theater when I was 7.  Pretty shocking for me to see cute little bunnies chew and claw each other to ribbons.  I also got confused watching live footage combined with animation in LOTR (rotoscoping).
I would have the same observations with the BAKSHI LOTR film.   I had it on but didn't watch much. 
I did sit through WATERSHIP DOWN which is no kiddie pic.  I love that one.   

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 05:07:59 PM »

One of the TV channels in the UK showed Watership Down on Sunday and the papers are outraged about how it will traumatize kids. Seem to remember when I was about 4ish watching it and finding it a sad film, but not one that gave me nightmares or anything.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:41:26 PM »

One of the TV channels in the UK showed Watership Down on Sunday and the papers are outraged about how it will traumatize kids. Seem to remember when I was about 4ish watching it and finding it a sad film, but not one that gave me nightmares or anything.
Eh, it's an old movie and was very successful in the UK.  It's sad surely, but if I'd seen it at "4ish" it might have given me nightmares (I was more like 24ish a long time ago, saw it on videotape, and found it memorable at least...)  Can't believe anybody'd care much at this late date.   Question

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »

I, too, saw both films in the theater. Though, I was much older than 7, when I saw both films. Personally, I never had problems with the rotoscoping. Since the film stopped half way through "Lord of the Rings," approximately, I'd like to have seen a 2nd film--rotoscoped--or not to finish up Tolkien's trilogy. Though, the 1st film did not do enough business at the box office to generate a 2nd film. It was up to Peter Jackson to turn the trilogy into a box office hit.

And if "Watership Down" is supposedly something of a downer, "The Plague Dogs," which I must admit I have never seen, though it uses much the same title as the earlier film, is really suppose to be a downer. And at PG-13 definitely not a film for children.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 10:10:17 PM »

I, too, saw both films in the theater. Though, I was much older than 7, when I saw both films. Personally, I never had problems with the rotoscoping. Since the film stopped half way through "Lord of the Rings," approximately, I'd like to have seen a 2nd film--rotoscoped--or not to finish up Tolkien's trilogy. Though, the 1st film did not do enough business at the box office to generate a 2nd film. It was up to Peter Jackson to turn the trilogy into a box office hit.

And if "Watership Down" is supposedly something of a downer, "The Plague Dogs," which I must admit I have never seen, though it uses much the same title as the earlier film, is really suppose to be a downer. And at PG-13 definitely not a film for children.

No.  No, no, no.  WATERSHIP DOWN is not a downer.  It is surprising, strange, and uplifting. 

All of it is available at the moment, cropped: 
Small | Large

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  WATERSHIP DOWN (1978) LORD OF THE RINGS (1978) on TCM TODAY !!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.