Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:30:19 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Bands/performers that you really like.. but sucked in concert. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bands/performers that you really like.. but sucked in concert.  (Read 3984 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« on: March 29, 2016, 08:44:56 PM »

Hey music lovers!
Have you ever loved the music of a band and then seen them live in concert or watched a live performance on tv, and they just didn't bring their A-game.. or even B-game.  This might be an isolated incident in which they sucked, or maybe they just aren't good live and go through the motions/change the lyrics around/act like jerks/etc. 

I've seen some concerts on tv of Steve Miller, and I thought he was awful.. not his music by any means, but his vocal performance.  Way off.

What examples can YOU think of?

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 03:17:58 PM »

Worst/most disappointing I've ever seen was The Cult, opening for Metallica in 1989. I was a big time Metallica fanboy at the time and I also dug the Cult's then-current Sonic Temple album so I was psyched for a killer show from both bands. Unfortunately it was not to be. The Cult's performance was abysmal. Ian Astbury was apparently drunk as a skunk cuz he kept blowing lyrics, stumbling around the stage, and looking confused. Eventually he just laid down on the drum riser and mumbled into the mike while the band played around him.

I learned later that I caught The Cult on the tail end of their run with Metallica and by that point they'd gotten so tired of being mercilessly hazed by the Metallica audience that they'd simply given up trying. I was there to see BOTH bands but I guess I must have been in the minority.

I still dig The Cult, I own almost all of their albums, but I never bothered to see'em live again.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:02 PM »

Well, I saw the Pogues once and Shane MacGowan was too drunk to perform... but everyone pretty much expected that and had a good time anyway.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 09:36:25 PM »

This might sound wrong to the big music lovers on the board, but.....just about any band for me.  Its not that they weren't bringing their A-game or not trying, its just that I prefer the studio recordings to the live version.  I like the level of polish, clarity,  and the bells and whistles you can put in a recording that you really don't get during the live events.  Granted-I've heard songs that over did it with things like auto tune, but then again, I'm just not a concert goer.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:56:30 AM »

This might sound wrong to the big music lovers on the board, but.....just about any band for me.  Its not that they weren't bringing their A-game or not trying, its just that I prefer the studio recordings to the live version.  I like the level of polish, clarity,  and the bells and whistles you can put in a recording that you really don't get during the live events.  Granted-I've heard songs that over did it with things like auto tune, but then again, I'm just not a concert goer.

I agree in most cases. Anything that involves a lot of production usually doesn't translate well live. And concerts generally go on way to long for my taste. I do like to see jazz live, though.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 08:50:46 AM »

TRHCP are clearly a studio-polished group. I heard them live, they sounded like some garage band, and I think they knew it because they spent the concert running around acting nuts instead of putting much effort into the music. Their albums have some great songs, but at least the one time I saw them, they sucked.

Green Day acted like total a***oles, to be frank, and I read an interview with Billie Joe Armstrong where he said he hates doing shows in red states. I think that showed loud and clear.

The one time I saw NIN (opening for Bowie in '95) I was surprised at how half-assed Trent Reznor's performance was, and it was in his home town too. He kept glaring at the crowd like he wanted to be anyplace else, and then throwing down the mic time and time again, and a roadie would rush out and pick it up for him. (Bowie was the real attraction and gave us a concert worth ten times what we paid.)

Liz Phair, my 2003 girl crush also didn't sound so good in person because her voice is thin and kind of weak. She did better, I think, in a smaller venues than the one we saw her in: her best-ever work was always in Chicago indie clubs. Hey, she gave me a hug after the concert and seemed like a nice person, that was cool.

The Smashing Pumpkins always gave a good show, but the last time I heard them in the '90s (before my ill-fated effort to see them last year...) I was left with the strong impression that they were all desperately burnt out on what they were doing, and Billy in particular was phoning his vocals in from someplace other than his physical body.  D'arcy looked like she was ready to fall over she was so lethargic. (She's since discussed her heroin addiction during that time.)

Off topic a little, silly as I feel to say this, credit where it's due, and years ago I took my cousin's daughter to see Ashley Simpson during Ashley Simpson's brief popularity, and I have to say, the girl wasn't lip-syncing that night, and she seemed to be trying hard to give the kids their money's worth. I found new respect for her.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »

MegaDeth has always been a bit disappointing live for me. Alanis Morrisette was also pretty poor when I saw her. I think the most disappointing band I've seen live though were Iron Maiden. I love Bruce Dickenson's voice but he just didn't seem to have much charisma as a live performer. When I saw them fronted by Blaze Bailey I thought they were a much better live act.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 06:36:02 PM »

Saw DAVID BOWIE on his Glass Spider Tour in the late 1980s... an interesting and somewhat memorable show for SQUEEZE the opening act (they were great) the giant inflatable spider, and BOWIE descending on a wire, like he was on a spider's thread, to the stage.  His performance was not memorable. 

Saw CULTURE CLUB probably in 1984 at the once called Brendan Byrne Arena.  BOY GEORGE had a thin, barely audible voice which I think he had strained during that tour.  Not good. 

And yes, I saw MARKY MARK at some ballroom in NYC.  Lousy show. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 07:55:01 AM »

I saw Willie Nelson on a triple bill (with John Mellencamp and Bob Dylan) and it was like he was sleepwalking through his set. After 40 years on the road playing the same songs he's earned it, though.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 08:18:02 AM »

I once saw The Moody Blues in concert - not live, but on a DVD - and I went  Buggedout - they really didn't sound the same. Probably due to what Rev Powell said about a lot of production not sounding good live.

I still like the Moodies though.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 07:47:10 PM »

I gotta say, so far, every concert I've been to has been phenomenal.  I mean, some bands didn't play certain songs I wanted to hear, but otherwise they played great. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Bands/performers that you really like.. but sucked in concert. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.