Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:33:09 PM
714251 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why the epic reviews? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why the epic reviews?  (Read 4156 times)
J.R.
« on: May 16, 2002, 07:27:03 AM »

Has anyone else noticed Andrew's been getting really, really in-depth with the reviews for a while? The Characters, Thing I Learned and Things To Watch for are the same, but the plot "Synopsis" are epic in length, giving away everything. Most of the early reviews had short and to the point rundowns. I'm not being critical, I just think reading's for losers.
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2002, 09:18:33 AM »

Check out Jabootu or Teleport City if you want long reviews.  Andrew is the model of succinctness
Nathan
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2002, 10:39:55 AM »

I think the rest of us B-Masters are rubbing off on him.

("Reading's for losers"?  Six thousand years of literate civilization down the drain...)

Nathan
Flangepart
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2002, 02:32:06 PM »

Andrew does the Short storys, Ken Begg does Tolstoy. Simple, realy. I've seen much less impressive reviews in major newspapers.
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2002, 02:36:12 PM »

I wouldn't say "us", Nathan, your reviews tend to resemble Andrews more then Ken's :)

Although I loved your review of "Nemesis", very little about the movie, more about your personal reaction to it :)  I thought you were a bit harsh on "Beowulf", though.
Andrew
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2002, 06:14:45 PM »

I must disagree with the "reading sucks" bit, but I do agree my reviews are longer than they used to be.  This is probably from finally finding the point I'm comfortable with.  I did not do very much writing before the website, so at first it was quite a chore.  Now writing comes as second nature.  The length probably will not grow from its present general length though.

Now, for the question (for anyone).  Are the reviews too long?  Would you rather read shorter plot sections?

Andrew
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2002, 06:35:31 PM »

I'm quite comfortable with the current length.  I find when I'm looking through your reviews to read something about a movie I'm thinking of seeing and I happen on an older review, they are a bit too short to tell me enough that I want to know.

Of course, I thought "Wing Commander" was as long as it was because you singled out just how bad the writing was.
john
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2002, 07:06:17 PM »

>I just think reading's for losers.

It gets easier once you have an edukashun...
J.R.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2002, 08:40:54 PM »

U awl like reeding so mutch? Reeding am 4 loozers.
Nathan
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2002, 10:09:39 AM »

Hey, I still come in about 1500 words per review -- not nearly Beggian in length, granted, but still longer than what you'll find in your Daily Sphincter.  When we were discussing any solid criteria for inclusion in the Cabal a while back, the word "exhaustive" came up several times.  ("Bludgeoning," by contrast, only came up once.)

You're in for a treat this weekend, BTW, when Ken unleashes his Superman 4 review. You thought you knew what length was...

Nathan
Nathan
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2002, 10:10:37 AM »

Well, until the Internet starts reading itself aloud to me...

Nathan
Flangepart
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2002, 10:58:50 AM »

Ah, but Nathan,Then you'd have to decide who's going to do the reading. What, we'd want the voice of the Weather channel doing it? That robot voice reminds me of early video games. ( ha ha ha. Nize tri, spaze ko-det.) And the good voice actors are makeing a bundle with books on tape........hummm.....who would you guys like to read your works, anyway? Charlton Heston? James Earl Jones? Paul Rubens? Hire Rich Little, and you can have any celeb voice ya want. Humm...
Lee
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2002, 11:11:38 AM »

OH YIKES!!!!!
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2002, 11:12:05 AM »

Actually, whether I read a particular reviewers work depends mostly on the content.

I particularly enjoy Nathan's review because he write about movies I'm likely to want to see. Sci-fi, post-apoc, sword and sandels.  I don't read the Teleport City reviews as much because, while I think they are well written and the length doesn't bother me, they usually are about movies I'll probably never see or care to see.  I'm not a big horror/gore buff, either.

I like Andrews reviews because they are written humoursly and are worth reading even if I don't plan on seeing the movie
John Morgan
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2002, 11:51:29 AM »

I like the reviews.  The length is fine.

Suck-up mode on:

Andrew is the best writer of all.  His reviews encourage with humor and seriousness the hearts of young movie goers into the epic world of movies.  There can be no one better.

Suck-up mode off
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why the epic reviews? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.