Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:56:12 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971)  (Read 2966 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 30, 2016, 07:45:20 PM »

Dr. Jekyll has undertaken to cure all diseases.  Yes, all of them.  It takes some wind out of Jekyll's sails when his former mentor remarks that Jekyll ought to scale back to curing only one disease, since it would take a hundred or more lifetimes to cure them all.  After some thought, Jekyll decides that, in that case, he'll just have to cure death itself first!  (That "curing" death would render the need to cure disease moot never seems to occur to him.)

His experiments on this front involve buying lots of wombs and ovaries from the local medical examiner, grinding them up, and injecting the serum into flies to see what happens.  Jekyll doesn't get much serum per set of sex organs, and finds it difficult to acquire enough from legal means, so he hires a couple of grave robbers to boost his supply.  Eventually, he manages to keep a fly that should have lived for maybe a couple of days alive for nearly a month.  Wait just a minute ... the fly just laid a clutch of eggs.  But, but, it's a male fly.  Jekyll made sure to only use male flies because females live too long to be useful to him.  Hmm.  There's only one thing he can do!  He'll just have to inject his formula into himself and see what happens!

Jekyll turns into a sexy woman!  After admiring his hot, new body in a mirror and feeling himself up, Jekyll reverts to normal.  He tries to continue his experiments but 1) his grave-robbing friends get found out and lynched, so he has no supply of materials and 2) he really, really wants to turn into a woman again.  He gets around the first problem by dressing up in a long coat and murdering prostitutes in Whitechapel (!!!!!!!!!!!!) and eventually gives in to the second one.  He tells his neighbors that a "Ms. Hyde" will be staying with him for awhile so they don't need to worry about a hot chick periodically showing up out of nowhere.  Well, Ms. Hyde soon develops her own personality and decides that Jekyll is a spineless twat who doesn't even deserve to exist, so SHE starts killing prostitutes in Whitechapel (!!!!!!!!!!!!) and making the serum to keep herself "topped off" and in control.

This just can't end well for either Jekyll or Hyde ...

I'm not sure if this movie is any good, but it sure kept me pretty amused from one set of credits to the other.  Ralph Bates (an AWFUL actor Hammer bizarrely tried to promote in the early 70s) is basically comatose as Jekyll but the part calls for it.  Martine Beswick (whom looked familiar to me, turns out she was a former Bond girl) is so much better as Hyde it's pretty easy to agree with her when she decides to take complete control of their shared body and cast him off to ... wherever he goes when he transforms into her.  The Jack the Ripper thing is unexpected and injects some nice, 70s sleaze into things.  There's even a little uncomfortable humor when Hyde asserts partial control over Jekyll and forces him to flirt with cute guys.

If Hammer had made more movies like this, instead of trying to rely on the same old thing, they might have gotten through the 70s.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 07:58:32 PM »

I don't remember this too well, but I know it well... I had the Famous Monsters of Filmland issue that had a story about this then new release. 
I like it, I guess, but it be SEW dumb.   Thumbdown TeddyR Thumbup
Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »

A film that's been on my "guilty pleasure" list for forty years; it would make a great double bill with VAMPIRE HAPPENING.

! No longer available Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »

The poster played up the more lurid aspects of the story(not that it's a bad thing.. TongueOut)

Certainly on of my favorite Hammer's!
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 07:00:48 PM »

The parental warning!  HAHAHAHAHAHA!   BounceGiggle

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 09:07:59 PM »

It was rated GP-(thats what they called PG movies back then)-no nudity-I recall-as Hallows sed-it being featured in FM-I never seen it!
Hammer was really reaching at this time-the VAMPIRE LOVERS was about the only GOOD movie they put out in the 70's. I mean-the EXORCIST,NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD,A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT,the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE-was kinda making Hammer's vampire and Frankenstein movies passe.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 09:13:17 PM »

Dont get me wrong! I love the Hammer films-put they put out some real stinkers! Try The SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA, and FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMEN or the BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB. ecch! Buggedout

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1971) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.