Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:54:10 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  thoughts on the Friday 13th movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: thoughts on the Friday 13th movies?  (Read 12892 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: May 01, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »

this week I finally completed the F13 series. first one I ever saw was Jason Takes Manhattan when I was about eleven, and this week I saw the only one I've never seen. you guessed it: the first one  Buggedout

I have to say that two of them stand out for me. both because they're so bad they're great

that's Part 3 (with the 3D gimmick, although I never saw it in 3D), and Jason Takes Manhattan.

the worst was Jason Goes To Hell. although to be honest I didn't really like parts 4,6 or 7 that much either.

thought the 2009 remake was rubbish also.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 06:17:55 PM »

Thoughts?
A cute little mask, a few yard tools I wouldn't recommend, and a mythos that could really use a shark because it sure loves jumping it...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Skull
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 06:19:08 AM »

My thoughts is Friday the 13th (the first movie) wanted to be as successful as Halloween (1978) and took a few steps backwards and copied murders from 'bay of blood' and filmed in the forest to save budget dollars.  Which I think Friday the 13th became a bigger success then Halloween because it had the perfect mix.

I know a lot of horror fans seem to believe that Halloween started the slasher movement in the 80s but I don't believe it's the case. Halloween did was make horror fun. Fun as a rollercoaster ride. But Hollywood saw it as big budget. Aliens is what came from Halloween. Friday the 13th show that fun didn't need a budget. And if you noticed that most early 80's slasher stories seemed to follow the path of Friday the 13th footsteps; unseen killer, forest, dark (no camera lights).

I also want to point out that Halloween 2 would never been made if it wasn't for the success of Friday the 13th.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:16:49 AM »

and a mythos that could really use a shark because it sure loves jumping it...
touché. Smile

- but probably true.... (....true-ché?)

My thoughts is Friday the 13th (the first movie) wanted to be as successful as Halloween (1978) and took a few steps backwards and copied murders from 'bay of blood' and filmed in the forest to save budget dollars.  Which I think Friday the 13th became a bigger success then Halloween because it had the perfect mix.

I know a lot of horror fans seem to believe that Halloween started the slasher movement in the 80s but I don't believe it's the case. Halloween did was make horror fun. Fun as a rollercoaster ride. But Hollywood saw it as big budget. Aliens is what came from Halloween. Friday the 13th show that fun didn't need a budget. And if you noticed that most early 80's slasher stories seemed to follow the path of Friday the 13th footsteps; unseen killer, forest, dark (no camera lights).

I also want to point out that Halloween 2 would never been made if it wasn't for the success of Friday the 13th.
actually theres an interview with one of the F13 part 1 makers (not sean s cunningham but another guy) on that DVD who says he basically watched Halloween and took notes before writing F13. so there's obviously a big influence there, but I get what you're saying about Bay Of Blood. some of those early to mid 70s giallo flicks are brutal... even post F13/Halloween ones like Tenebrae and New York Ripper are far more explicit/shocking than most slashers, I think... the line between giallo and slasher does get blurred though

claws
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 10:04:26 AM »

My ratings of the franchise:

Friday the 13th (1980) 4.5/5
Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) 4/5
Friday the 13th Part III (1982) 3.5/5
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) 3.5/5
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) 3/5
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (1986) 3.5/5
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) 3/5
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) 2.5/5
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) 2/5
Jason X (2001) 2/5
Freddy vs. Jason (2003) 3.5/5
Friday the 13th (2009) 3.5/5
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 02:54:17 PM »

Jason X (2001) 2/5

X is not good but I didn't think it was that bad either. has possibly my favourite kill in the entire series. the frozen face one. gruesome!

my main problem with part 1 having just seen it, is the final girl section is waaay too long (imo). could literally have 15 mins cut out... I did enjoy it overall though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:57:33 PM by zombie #1 » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 01:42:55 AM »

The original Friday The 13th (1980) was banned in South Africa: thanks for nothing, dumb ass apartheid censors!  Hatred TongueOut

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
voltron

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »

I was REALLY into the F13th franchise when I first got into horror movies. nowadays...eeeeehhhh. I loved the second one (Ginny!) and I like the third for its cheesy charms. The Final Chapter was excellent as well. I honestly can't remember the rest really. Nowadays I'd rather watch Just Before Dawn or The Final Terror for my backwoods horror kicks.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 10:46:02 AM »

I really really REALLY loved the F13 series when I was growing up. I've seen 'em all (most of them numerous times) and tho I'll admit when I look back that there are definitely more "bad" entries than "good" ones, it's still my sentimental favorite horror franchise.

My faves would probably be the original and part VI ("Jason Lives" - the first one I was old enough to see in a theater).

Least fave is definitely "Goes to Hell," I vividly remember throwing beer cans at the screen when i saw that in a theater back in the day, screaming "WHAT THE F***? THEY RUINED IT!" (hahaha)

"Jason X" is actually kind of a hoot if you're in the right frame of mind for it. I find it works best if you treat it as a parody of the "F13" movies, rather than a "real" series entry.

The ultimate Nerd Moment for me as an F13 fan was three years ago, when I went to Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco in New Jersey (aka the "real" Camp Crystal Lake, where the original movie was filmed) with my son's Cub Scout troop for a campout. I was totally useless when it came to Scout related activities cuz I was too busy nerding out for the entire weekend, haha.

I wrote a blog about the experience with a bunch of pix:
http://hubpages.com/entertainment/I-Survived-Camp-Crystal-Lake

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:48:26 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »

I've only seen the original....and enjoyed the hell out of it  Cheers

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »

I'm still a fan of pretty much all of them. I especially like 4, but each to their own.

The remake was not good, but I can think of a lot that were much worse, ANOES is the first that comes to mind.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »

What made these movies work was that they took Joe Bob Briggs' "Three B's" as their production guide:
Blood, Breasts, and Beasts.

In every single movie!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »

The ultimate Nerd Moment for me as an F13 fan was three years ago, when I went to Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco in New Jersey (aka the "real" Camp Crystal Lake, where the original movie was filmed) with my son's Cub Scout troop for a campout. I was totally useless when it came to Scout related activities cuz I was too busy nerding out for the entire weekend, haha.

I wrote a blog about the experience with a bunch of pix:
http://hubpages.com/entertainment/I-Survived-Camp-Crystal-Lake

nice, had a read... I like how all the kids had heard of F13 but none had seen it , lol (well neither had I until now)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 03:00:28 PM by zombie #1 » Logged

messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 11:37:39 AM »

I really gotta admit I love Jason X. Out of every one of the movies that is the one I can watch the most. I like the setting, the humour, the kills...everything about it.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »

They make no sense. 

I saw the 3D one when it was new in the theater.  That's the one where the mousy girl gets dressed up for a mystery date or something, and gits it?  Damned funny.  BounceGiggle 
That third one is the only one I'd be interested in seeing again. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  thoughts on the Friday 13th movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.