Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:35:16 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movie franchises where the last film wasn't the worst « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movie franchises where the last film wasn't the worst  (Read 5812 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« on: May 11, 2016, 02:09:14 PM »

I thought this would be a fun topic.  Smile

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Toy Story 3
Back to the Future Part 3
Jurassic World
The Dark Knight Rises
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
Furious 7
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
Spectre
Mad Max: Fury Road

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 05:00:18 PM »

Austin Powers.

Goldmember wasn't as bad as The Spy Who Shagged Me.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 05:55:08 PM »

Starship Troopers: Invasion - better than the other sequels even though it's animated. It has its share of weak plot points like every other entry but at least it doesn't have musical numbers, miss the point of why the interludes from the first film worked, or try for outright comedy.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »

Godzilla. 

I'll leave it up to you to decide which one was worse, but it certainly wasn't the most recent one. 

messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 07:52:01 AM »

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation
As much as I like the crazy mess that is M:I 2 it is not better than Rogue Nation.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 10:25:14 AM »

As much as I like the crazy mess that is M:I 2 it is not better than Rogue Nation.

Yeah, I agree, the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE series comes to mind. It's the only franchise I can think of where the 4th and 5th films are better than the first 3.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 06:45:38 AM »

The Gods Must Be Crazy 2 wasn't bad at all.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 06:53:02 AM »

Death Wish V The Face of Death (1995) was way better IMO than Death Wish 2 or Death Wish IV The Crackdown.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
voltron

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 08:44:32 AM »

I'm not a massive fan of the August Underground series but I think Penance was the last and the best of those movies.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 09:19:11 PM »

I liked Weekend at Bernies two better than the original. thats right I said it... come at me
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 06:18:38 AM »

the Universal Frankenstein series-may favorite being BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935),and the first one (1931) and SON OF-(1939) being tied-ABOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN was defintely better than HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944) and HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945)-in which the monster spends most of his time on an operating table.
The Bond series of films-though far from being over-Daniel Craig is the best Bond since Sean Connery-the Roger Moore films were turning into comedy with  MOONRAKER (1979) and OCTOp***y (1983)-and Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan were bad casting-and forget George Lazenby!
the original series of Godzilla films-the last being TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA (1975) -far from being high art-was a vast improvement over GODZILLA'S REVENGE (1969),with its little yammering bastard lead. (I really dont consider GODZILLA 1985 part of the original series.)

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 12:01:43 AM »

Yeah, I agree, the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE series comes to mind. It's the only franchise I can think of where the 4th and 5th films are better than the first 3.

You seen the Fast and Furious films?  Entries 5 and 6 are better than the first four, and the fourth is also better than the first three.  It was a smart choice to move to heist films rather than car-crime movies.

One other one that springs to mind is the Zatoichi series, if that counts.  26 films, and they vary in quality...  All are at least decent, but I'd say parts, 3, 10, 13 and 18 stand out.  24 is probably the worst, and 26 (made much later, with an older Shintaro Katsu) is in the middle of the pack in quality.
AoTFan

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »

The Bond series of films-though far from being over-Daniel Craig is the best Bond since Sean Connery-the Roger Moore films were turning into comedy with  MOONRAKER (1979) and OCTOp***y (1983)-and Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan were bad casting-and forget George Lazenby!

Giggles at the auto forum censorship. 

:)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »

You seen the Fast and Furious films?  Entries 5 and 6 are better than the first four, and the fourth is also better than the first three.  It was a smart choice to move to heist films rather than car-crime movies.

One other one that springs to mind is the Zatoichi series, if that counts.  26 films, and they vary in quality...  All are at least decent, but I'd say parts, 3, 10, 13 and 18 stand out.  24 is probably the worst, and 26 (made much later, with an older Shintaro Katsu) is in the middle of the pack in quality.

I have been blessed not to see any of the FAST AND FURIOUS movies. I did hear the last one was good.

ZATOICHI's good thinking---with 26 films in the series, it's unlikely the last would be the worst.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 11:30:51 PM »

I have been blessed not to see any of the FAST AND FURIOUS movies. I did hear the last one was good.

ZATOICHI's good thinking---with 26 films in the series, it's unlikely the last would be the worst.

It's a hard series to recommend, as I think Fast Five and on are quite solid films with quite likable ensemble casts, entertaining action, plenty of humor and even a little heart.  But 1-4 are kind of meh, watchable but not great. 

Also thought of a couple more entries:

Friday the 13th -Jason X or Freddy VS Jason or the remake, whatever, none of the "last" films is the worst.  Hard to say which that is for me...  Probably entries 5 or 8.  Nightmare on Elm Street is similar.  I'd say #2 is the worst in the series, and both Freddy's Dead and New Nightmare are superior.  However...  The remake is worse than all of them.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movie franchises where the last film wasn't the worst « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.