Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:16:52 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Yeah, so, apparently the Angry Video Game Nerd is a sexist... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yeah, so, apparently the Angry Video Game Nerd is a sexist...  (Read 6876 times)
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 28, 2016, 09:53:55 AM »

Yep, just learned about this myself.  And why is he sexist you ask?  Well, he made a video saying how he refuses to watch (much less review) the Ghostbuster's film because he feels, among other things, it looks like crap.  There's several other reasons, which to me, sound pretty well thought-out and reasonable, but of course, the Internet being the Internet, there's now a crap ton of re-posts about and comments about how AVGN is representative of being a sexist, jerk, etc etc.  Some are even comparing to the "Bigots" who don't want transgender people to use whatever bathroom they want.  (I'm not even going to get into that issue here, only to opine that they're two VERY different issues) and comparison to Gamergate.

Anyway, you can decide for yourself here....

Small | Large
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 05:21:32 PM »

I enjoy AVGNs videos alot. Im not surprised that people would take offense to him not wanting to watch this movie, especially considering the PC culture we live in. He very reasonably explained why he wouldnt watch it. I feel the same way, but im going to see this piece of crap anyway. I cant help myself. I love the ghostbusters. There is nothing sexist about not wanting to see this movie with an all female cast. I think anybody who is offended by this is mentally sick and looking for something to be offended by. most of the people that didnt want to see this movie are truly offended. we grew up with this franchise, and have been patiently  waiting for  30 years! the issue with the cast is not that they are female,

exterminate all rational thought.....
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »

....the issue is; ITS NOT THE ORIGINAL CAST! Its that simple. we waited and waited until Egon died and the powers that be decided to take something nostalgic that a lot of people care about and..... (sigh). Only profanity can express how i feel. Im posting this from the bathroom at my job. Now that i think about it, the brownies that my coworker left in here discribe my thoughts and the trailer for this movie.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »

Hold on, are you saying that he's sexist because the characters are stereotyped and that if you hate it that you are sexist? Where is the logic in this? It's a cash grab for nostalgia name and "modernized" with an all female main cast that is stereotyped to death.

yeah no.
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 11:55:16 PM »

Exactly.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 02:02:15 AM »

It's frustrating reading some of the attacks as the people doing so often clearly have no idea who he is or the context of the video.  In particular people attacking him for the name "Angry Video Game Nerd" and what that represents in their mind.

Two things.

1. As a start, this isn't a video by the Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN).  It's a video by James Rolfe, the film maker who created AVGN, as well as another fictional character Board James.  AVGN is a character in a fictional universe that reviews bad video games and as the name implies, is filled with rage at them.  He fought Bugs Bunny and a possessed Super Mario 3 NES cartridge.  This isn't a real person.  James Rolfe is a nice, very easy going guy who loves horror movies and is a HUGE Ghostbusters fan. 

2. This video is on his channel and is directed towards his fan base, who assume he will watch the film and tear it to shreds.  He's not interested in the film and doesn't intend to see it, so he made this explaining why and as a lead in to his other video about the aborted attempts at a Ghostbusters 3.

People not understanding 1 and 2 attack him for a variety of points in relation to them.  There were some pretty nasty and non-sequitor personal attacks involved, even including his wife for some reason.  Pretty crappy.  There's also implications about how he AVOIDED the gender issue and how this implies sexism.  So yes, he's being attacked as sexist for NOT getting into gender politics.  That's bordering on Orwellian logic. 
AoTFan

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 06:10:46 AM »

Hold on, are you saying that he's sexist because the characters are stereotyped and that if you hate it that you are sexist? Where is the logic in this? It's a cash grab for nostalgia name and "modernized" with an all female main cast that is stereotyped to death.

Shhhh!  Stop thinking logically!  You won't get far on the Internet with that attitude.  :)
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 07:49:07 AM »

"That's bordering on Orwellian logic". 

I think that  sums it up. James rolfe made some very reasonable and valid points for not wanting to see it. like:
-the jokes are not funny.
-the ghosts look like theyre from the scooby doo movies.

It seems as though reality has been inverted. TO attack and demonize someone because they  express an opinion that is different than your opinion is, by definition, bigotry.  James has committed the ultimate sin in todays culture, he has expressed his own personal opinion. Oh, we have ways of dealing with people like him.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 08:15:57 AM »

Im posting this from the bathroom at my job. Now that i think about it, the brownies that my coworker left in here discribe my thoughts and the trailer for this movie.

Buggedout BuggedoutBounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
AoTFan

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 10:53:55 AM »

It's frustrating reading some of the attacks as the people doing so often clearly have no idea who he is or the context of the video.  In particular people attacking him for the name "Angry Video Game Nerd" and what that represents in their mind.

Two things.

1. As a start, this isn't a video by the Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN).  It's a video by James Rolfe, the film maker who created AVGN, as well as another fictional character Board James.  AVGN is a character in a fictional universe that reviews bad video games and as the name implies, is filled with rage at them.  He fought Bugs Bunny and a possessed Super Mario 3 NES cartridge.  This isn't a real person.  James Rolfe is a nice, very easy going guy who loves horror movies and is a HUGE Ghostbusters fan. 

Yeah, totally.  Except like a lot of people who do popular characters so many people seem to forget that they're NOT one and the seem. 

Me personally, I'm a HUGE fan of James Rolfe's work, not just AVGN but the other video's he's done.  He reminds me so much of myself as a young boy, having a dream making my own videos.  Although sadly, unlike James, that dream wasn't really encouraged and nurtured growing up, but that's another subject. 

People not understanding 1 and 2 attack him for a variety of points in relation to them.  There were some pretty nasty and non-sequitor personal attacks involved, even including his wife for some reason.  Pretty crappy.  There's also implications about how he AVOIDED the gender issue and how this implies sexism.  So yes, he's being attacked as sexist for NOT getting into gender politics.  That's bordering on Orwellian logic. 

Seems like these days you can't even go online and say, "Hey, the weather is nice today" without people getting angry. 

Anyway, I want to leave with one of favorite videos from James, a retrospective on the various movies he's made.  If you're like me you'll find it fascinating to get a behind the scenes look at the history of his Do It Yourself film making and creativity. 

https://youtu.be/MiQE_Lb801U
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 01:35:12 AM »

Seems like these days you can't even go online and say, "Hey, the weather is nice today" without people getting angry. 

I take extreme exception to that remark as the weather is very cold here right now.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 08:50:50 PM »

Anyway, I want to leave with one of favorite videos from James, a retrospective on the various movies he's made.  If you're like me you'll find it fascinating to get a behind the scenes look at the history of his Do It Yourself film making and creativity. 

Might be my favorite video of his.  It inspired me into making short films again after a long lull.   Thumbup
AoTFan

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 11:25:13 PM »

Might be my favorite video of his.  It inspired me into making short films again after a long lull.   Thumbup

Cool, do you post them anywhere? 

Been meaning to get back into editing videos myself.  You can see several of my old music videos and an original short film on my old Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mallan625

Sadly, one of my videos was lost when Youtube banned my old account and another one got taken off (although I might risk reuploaded it on my new channel someday.)

Anyway, while the other videos are just stuff I edited together from movie clips to mp3, this is one I shoot and edited myself several years back for a video class. 

Enjoy.

Small | Large
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 04:46:08 PM »

Yeah, it has to be sexist. It can't possibly be that the trailer looks awful.

Where was this "sexist backlash" when the trailer for Star Wars Episode VII came out?
Y'know, the first Star Wars movie to feature a female protagonist?

AoTFan

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »

https://youtu.be/6aQTJw1wlQ8
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Yeah, so, apparently the Angry Video Game Nerd is a sexist... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.