Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:26:41 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite movie genres « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Favorite movie genres  (Read 7343 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 07:03:42 AM »

I love political dramas - "The Parallax View", "All the President's Men", "Frost-Nixon", "Three Days of the Condor", "Nixon" etc.

Then there's comedies, sci-fi, dramas and murder mysteries.

Horror, I can just about put up with, but I don't like slasher-type films where women are by and large the victims.

All The President's Men and Three Days of The Condor ran into trouble with the apartheid censors.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Fox Sake
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 07:15:52 AM »

I love political dramas - "The Parallax View", "All the President's Men", "Frost-Nixon", "Three Days of the Condor", "Nixon" etc.

Horror, I can just about put up with, but I don't like slasher-type films where women are by and large the victims.

All The President's Men and Three Days of The Condor ran into trouble with the apartheid censors.  Buggedout

I never knew that!

But then again I left SA in 2004 at the ripe old age of 11 (with my parents in tow of course), so am not fully versed on what the film censors back home are up to these days. I have heard of the odd bit of heavy handed censorship that may reflect badly on the tyrannical beast in a shirt and tie - President Jacob "I've done nothing wrong" Zuma (whom is currently clinging to power by the thinnest of thin skin of his fingernails)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 07:25:41 AM »

I never knew that!

But then again I left SA in 2004 at the ripe old age of 11 (with my parents in tow of course), so am not fully versed on what the film censors back home are up to these days. I have heard of the odd bit of heavy handed censorship that may reflect badly on the tyrannical beast in a shirt and tie - President Jacob "I've done nothing wrong" Zuma (whom is currently clinging to power by the thinnest of thin skin of his fingernails)

From the latest news I am hearing that skin is getting thinner all the time.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Fox Sake
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 07:30:06 AM »

I never knew that!

He might decide to do a runner and go into exile with his family and a few pot-loads of gold and a hefty Swiss Bank Account
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 07:34:27 AM »

I never knew that!

He might decide to do a runner and go into exile with his family and a few pot-loads of gold and a hefty Swiss Bank Account

If I was in his position at his age I think it's the option I would go for at this point, but some people just can't give up the power. I do have to say though I have no idea how he is as a president, although the impression I get from the news certainly involves a lot of corruption. While I used to keep a close eye on news around the world, since I got married I've focused my attentions more domestically.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 07:51:32 AM »

In literature/fiction you have what're called non-genre stories. Can you think, though, of non-genre movies? I'm not sure I can, right off.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »

In literature/fiction you have what're called non-genre stories. Can you think, though, of non-genre movies? I'm not sure I can, right off.

That is an interesting question, and I can't think of any right off neither. A film might belong to more than one genera. For example, the upcoming Solo : a Star Wars story is not only a science fiction film, but also--apparently--a western + a heist film, and who knows what else. But, as far as I know, all films belong to some genera, even if more than one.

As for my favorite genera, . . .
From Ty Burr's
The Best Old Movies for Families

horror, science fiction, fantasy
then . . .
action, adventure, western
and from good to wurst
comedies, musicals
and somewhere in between
dramas.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »

I like just about every genre. I have everything from musicals to westerns to sci-fi to cult films in my collection. But the genres at the top of my list are probably:

* Police/crime movies (especially from the 1970s): THE FRENCH CONNECTION, SERPICO, MEAN STREETS, DOG DAY AFTERNOON, THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3 . . .

* Blaxploitation (some of which also fall under the 1970s police/crime category): SHAFT, BLACULA, BLACKENSTEIN, SUPER FLY . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 03:50:37 PM »

* Blaxploitation (some of which also fall under the 1970s police/crime category): SHAFT, BLACULA, BLACKENSTEIN, SUPER FLY . . .

I love blaxploitation movies! My favorites- The MACK, COFFY, BLACULA, FOXY BROWN-heck-anything with Pam Grier!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite movie genres « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.