Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:50:34 AM
714337 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  MARTYRS (2015) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MARTYRS (2015)  (Read 2325 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: June 01, 2016, 04:44:47 PM »

I just watched this movie this afternoon, with no preconceived notions whatsoever.  Afterward, I found out that it was a remake of a popular French horror film, and that most reviewers thought it compared to the original very poorly.  However, going in ignorant of that and viewing this film on its own merits, I found it quite excellent.  The plot twists and turns every few minutes, and I must say I certainly did NOT see the conclusion coming!  So, without too many spoilers, here is a smidge of what to expect:

A young girl, Lucy, escapes from an abandoned warehouse at the beginning of the film.  She has been tormented and is badly scarred; she tells the police "monsters" did this to her.  But they find nothing when they search the warehouse; Lucy is sent to a Catholic orphanage, where she is befriended by a girl named Anna.  There, she slowly heals of the damage done to her body - but what about her troubled mind?

Ten years later, Lucy has found the family that she holds responsible for her torment, and is determined to seek vengeance for her suffering.  But are they really guilty?  Or has she slipped the bonds of sanity?  As she wreaks her bloody retribution, this question looms larger and larger - then the whole film veers off in a very dark direction!

Well-acted and beautifully shot, this film defies precise genres and leaves you guessing up until the very end.  Highly recommended!
4.5/5   Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:57:38 AM »

Sometimes I go on a bit of a 'morbid trailer spree', and look up the trailers for controversial horror movies that I know I'll never watch.  The original French Martyrs was one such movie.  If there's something Europeans do well in cinema, it is unrelentingly stomach churning horror.  American horror films rely more on jump scares, but European films can be just straight-up nasty.  For that reason, Martyrs was on the 'peep through scrunched eyelids at trailer, but never touch the movie' list.

When I saw your review, I had a look at the wikipedia entry for the American remake, and it says they omitted as much of the gore as possible in favour of creating suspense and the impression of awfulness.  Do you think they succeeded with this intention?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:03:33 AM »

That's a good summation.  I mean, there are a couple of cringe-inducing moments at the end, but the horror is more implied than shown.  Incredible suspense, but what I liked was how, just when you think you have things figured out, the story veers off in a different direction.  Kept me guessing until the end.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 09:08:54 AM »

Iv'e seen the French MARTYRS. f**king terrifying.  Buggedout

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »

I liked Martyrs I didn't really get the secret society aspect. like who would do that and why they didn't really explain. The same director (of the original martyrs) did The Tall Man which I liked but some people didn't.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  MARTYRS (2015) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.