Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:50:34 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  English dubbed cheesy movies, suggestions? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: English dubbed cheesy movies, suggestions?  (Read 6362 times)
Scott123
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 04, 2016, 08:47:08 AM »

This is my latest kick in bad cinema ... What are some entertaining bad movies originally done in another language and then dubbed in English? And bad over-dubbing makes it even better!! I prefer that to subtitles. ... Please weigh in with some suggestions. Looking forward to the replies  Cheers
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »

japanese martial arts movies are notorious for this of course,  ULTIMATE NINJA is a good example. even the sound fx of the punches crack me up in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j98jUDvZWtA

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
claws
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 10:59:40 PM »

Most Italian Horror movies from the 1980s especially featuring children. Macabre (1980), Shock (1977) and Burial Ground (1981) are must-sees.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 04:41:09 AM »

Most Italian Horror movies from the 1980s especially featuring children. Macabre (1980), Shock (1977) and Burial Ground (1981) are must-sees.

good point, I'd add Fulci's MANHATTAN BABY as well. iirc the main young boy sounds like he's being dubbed by a chain smoking 50yr old woman!

Archivist

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »

Any of the 70's and early 80's Hong Kong action movies, particularly made by the Shaw Brothers, but also by companies like Win's, Seasonal Film Corporation, and others.  The dubbing for hundreds Hong Kong movies was done by a handful people, mostly British actors, who put on different voices for characters in each movie.  It was the way most Western people experienced those movies in days of yore.  Great article about those times here:

http://www.earnshaw.com/memoir/kung-fu-flick-dubbing

And an interesting thread about it here:

http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/20068-shaw-english-dub-voice-actors/

As for movies:

Any Jackie Chan movie from that era, including:

- The Fearless Hyena
- Shaolin Wooden Men
- Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
- Dragon Fist

Shaw Brothers movies like:

- Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu (which is a great movie, rendered excruciatingly funny by the dubbing)

If you want truly cheesy trash, you MUST check out the dozens of Bruceploitation movies that emerged after the death of Bruce Lee.  Following Bruce's untimely and abrupt passing, the HK movie industry scrambled to find a replacement, as well as cash in on the death of their greatest star at the time.  Such movies had fantastic names like:

- The Clones of Bruce Lee
- Re-Enter The Dragon
- Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave

The movies are hilariously bad, and the dubbing makes them even worse.

Hope this gives you a good starting point!

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 04:33:56 AM »

japanese martial arts movies are notorious for this of course,  ULTIMATE NINJA is a good example. even the sound fx of the punches crack me up in this one

Just to say, Godfrey Ho movies aren't Japanese.  Godfrey Ho is a Hong Kong Chinese director who uses footage from dozens of his own movies, as well as unused or recycled footage from movies from Thailand and Vietnam.  His movies have a HK flavour thanks to the stock music and general editing style, but they are a special kind of bad.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
voltron

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 09:06:16 AM »

A Blade In The Dark is Italian with quite bad English dubbing but alas, the movie is kinda lame.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 02:59:20 PM »

I like 2'9" actor Weng Weng's dubbed-in baritone in THE IMPOSSIBLE KID.

Small | Large

Also, speaking of Godfrey Ho, NINJA CHAMPION has some dialogue doozies---"Not the wine---my nipples, you jerk!" being my favorite.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
claws
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 10:48:16 PM »

A Night to Dismember (1983). About 70% of the movies' print was damaged and/or destroyed in a fire. Director Doris Wishman patched together whatever was left and made it into a very confusing 70 minutes feature. Since all sound elements were gone some of the dialogue had to be re-dubbed, in the most unprofessional way I might add. They couldn't even bother to use the sound of a real dog barking in one scene, whoever did the dubbing simply imitated a dog. The person also did car crash sound fx by mouth. Quite hilarious.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 09:00:16 AM »

I think there's a dubbed version of Kung Fu Hustle. It's amazing, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m3IB7N_PRk

The dubbing for Shark Attack in the Mediterranean is spectacularly bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh35ZSMbGdU

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 03:56:38 PM »

Just to say, Godfrey Ho movies aren't Japanese.  Godfrey Ho is a Hong Kong Chinese director who uses footage from dozens of his own movies, as well as unused or recycled footage from movies from Thailand and Vietnam.  His movies have a HK flavour thanks to the stock music and general editing style, but they are a special kind of bad.
thanks for the correction!

Also, speaking of Godfrey Ho, NINJA CHAMPION has some dialogue doozies---"Not the wine---my nipples, you jerk!" being my favorite.
nice, I don't have that one, might have to seek it out. NINJA TERMINATOR is another one of his I like

slightly OT, but does anyone recognise what movie this line of dialog comes from. it's sampled in a track I have, and is spoken by one of those classic English male voices that all those movies seem to have, I'm almost 100% sure it's a from a dubbed martial arts movie:

It seems everyone in Hong Kong has suddenly become very honest. All except for me. I'm a smuggler. Look at all those damn millionaires, none of them has a real heart. 

another line by the same character: If I'd known this I would've just stuck with cleaning cars. Why is my life never easy?

AoTFan

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 11:04:45 AM »

A lot of the anime release from the company Manga like Cyber City Oedo 808, Angel Cop and Violence Jack contain some pretty hilarious redubbing with over the top swearing.

Great lines like, "f**k you, you know far too much already you son of a b***h!" (aims gun at guy) "You be sure to say hello to Jesus for me!"

Girl: Why don't you buy me dinner?
Guy: Because I'm tired and p**sed off, and you're cop and I'm a con, and it's raining and I forget my umbrella, and most of all I'm broke.

Here's some samples...

Small | Large

https://youtu.be/bVpwJbLLivU

You find the full eps of Cyber City on Youtube.  Might be able to find the others as well, haven't checked yet.

https://youtu.be/gtbMR9z2veY?list=PLUvChac2cmS6mKspkym9YAn9UrD97Y8l9
https://youtu.be/GurlFETu38U
https://youtu.be/yvK4RnZYql0
TwoTakes
New Visitor

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991) has an amazingly funny English dub version which I highly recommend!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »

I've seen Umberto Lenzi's Nightmare City in its original Italian with sub-titles and the English dubbed version (released in the U.S. as City of the Walking Dead) -- and I actually prefer the dubbed version, because the English dialogue (which was clearly written by someone whose native language is not English!) is so awkward and stilted that it adds a whole 'nother layer of riotous weirdness onto what is already a pretty bizarre movie.

Ditto for the English dubbed version of 2010's Dutch Christmas horror film "Sint" (aka "Saint") - the English dialog is so off kilter and delivered by voice actors who sound totally uninterested in giving any kind of "performance" that it turns into unintentional comedy pretty quickly.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 08:32:44 PM »

As mentioned, Cyber City Oedo is worth a watch dubbed and subtitled, good stuff.  The original track is way better acted, but the english is hilarious.

I like one line, starts at 2:12.

! No longer available Small | Large

thanks for the correction!

As an aside, Japanese karate movies from the 70s had some pretty corny dubs as well.  I liked Street Fighter's english dub.

It seems everyone in Hong Kong has suddenly become very honest. All except for me. I'm a smuggler. Look at all those damn millionaires, none of them has a real heart. 

Yeah, sounds like one of those bad dub lines.  I have no idea what this one is, but I'll say it sounds like its an 80s film, not a 70s one, and probably a modern setting, not an ancient setting.  That doesn't narrow it down a whole lot though unfortunately.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  English dubbed cheesy movies, suggestions? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.