Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:46:00 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Goatbusters (2016) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Goatbusters (2016)  (Read 11517 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2016, 01:48:49 AM »

I'll probably eventually see it in some way or another. 

I'll only see it if someone yanks my eyes out  Bluesad

My ladyfriend wants to see it...  It's just an eventuality because of that.   TongueOut

TeddyR

Have her blindfold you  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2016, 06:48:22 PM »

The business of business. That's what interests me.

Domestic box office of last week
1st. The Secret Life of Pets.
o'er $200 million to date.
2nd. Goatbusters (aka Ghostbusters)
$46 million to date.
3rd. The Legend of Tarzan.
Unknown to date.
4th. Finding Dory
o'er 400 million to date.

At a decline of around 50% each week it is in theaters, which is plausible, I imagine Goat busters will make somewhere between $90 and $100 million at the domestic box office, ere it is said and done. Thus it will most likely not make back its cost of $144 which it cost to make. Not depending solely on the domestic box office. Of course, this does not include the international box office, of which I have no idea of how much it has made or will make.

I am still on the fence as to whether I'll see it or not, as I am at whether I'll see The Legend of Tarzan. I might just see it to see what all the controversy is all about, but . . .?! ere I go, let me throw a little more gas on the fire. To all the claims and counterclaims you can make about the film, some people have claimed that the film is racist. This being based upon the 3 white female Goat Busters being scientists, as I understand it, and the lone black female Goat Buster, not being a scientist on par with her other female Goat Busters, but . . .?! a transportation worker.

If I do see it, I'll post my comments here.
akiratubo

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2016, 07:01:12 PM »

some people have claimed that the film is racist. This being based upon the 3 white female Goat Busters being scientists, as I understand it, and the lone black female Goat Buster, not being a scientist on par with her other female Goat Busters, but . . .?! a transportation worker.

Then the original was racist, too.   Lookingup  Part of what made Winston a fun character was that he was an everyman dealing with "s**t that'll turn you white" just as well as the three scientists.  This was heavily played up in a few episodes of the cartoon, where Winston found himself having to save the day by himself even though he only had practical knowledge gained while on the job.

I might see the new one, but not in theaters.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jim H

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2016, 09:27:38 PM »

some people have claimed that the film is racist. This being based upon the 3 white female Goat Busters being scientists, as I understand it, and the lone black female Goat Buster, not being a scientist on par with her other female Goat Busters, but . . .?! a transportation worker.

Then the original was racist, too.   Lookingup  Part of what made Winston a fun character was that he was an everyman dealing with "s**t that'll turn you white" just as well as the three scientists.  This was heavily played up in a few episodes of the cartoon, where Winston found himself having to save the day by himself even though he only had practical knowledge gained while on the job.

I might see the new one, but not in theaters.

It wasn't just that she's not a scientist, but that she appeared to be (based on the trailers) an angry black woman stereotype (she actually says "Aw hell naw" in the trailer, etc).  From what I've heard recently, evidently she's actually the most three dimensional character of all four, and the stuff in the trailer was just the worst parts.  Still haven't seen it though...
Jim H

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2016, 11:22:16 PM »

Well, I saw it tonight...

It's a bit hard to judge for me.  I'm going to refrain from a rating I think.

Basically, I did find a fair bit of it funny and entertaining.  I think as far as a summer comedy goes, that makes it a film worth a watch, even if not in theatres.  But, plotting, character development, direction, writing - everything normally at the heart of a decent film, are often not just ok, but actually poor.  There's some quite bad character stuff in particular.  As an aside, Leslie Jones actually comes across the best - as a decent normal person.  They try to have some sort of arc with Wiig and McCarthy, but it just goes no where and the film forgets about it.  A lot of stuff is like that - introduced, and forgotten.  Very little pays off.  The threats never feel real as they did in the original.  The direction of non-comedy is flat and lifeless.

Hmm..  More positives.  Hemsworth is pretty funny, even if the ultra stupid stuff is a bit too much.  Actually, that's something worth a note on its own.  Every male character in the film is a bumbling idiot, a jerk, creepy, annoying, or otherwise fatally flawed (except maybe Andy Garcia).  This didn't actually bother me, just thought it was interesting with all the crap surrounding sexism and the film that the original film actually does a better job handling the opposite the lead gender's roles (Sigourney Weaver and Annie Potts are both strong characters).  There's an idea showing their tech development that's interesting (reminds me of Iron Man, but not as good).  I dunno. 

It probably sounds like faint praise...  I guess that's basically what it is.  The plotting and character stuff is often pretty bad, it's not creepy or scary, I don't like the ghost designs - but enough of the jokes landed I enjoyed my time in the theatre overall.  Maybe my standards for a comedy are low?  It kind of reminds me of watching a bad action movie with good fight scenes and pacing - if I'm not bored and like the action, probably worth a watch.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2016, 07:37:32 AM »

It was released here last week: was I tempted to go see it? Yes. Did I go: no.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »

I actually like it. 

You have to get over the fact that this isn't the old Ghostbusters though.  Nor does it try to be.  Admittedly, that might be a bit too much for some people to get over, but once you do, it's not a bad movie.  It's not as good as the others, but then again, the others had Akroyd, Murray, Moranis, and Raimis and seperatly those guys where responsible for about 90 percent of everything funny during the 80s. 

I felt Chris stole ever scene he was in and the characters didn't look nearly as bad as they did in the trailers.  There were quite a few nice references to the older movies.  The "Angry black woman" was actually one of the better characters, and she supplied them with the car, the jumpsuits, and (inadvertently) the logo.  The crazy inventor girl was nicely done, and just over the top enough. 

McCarthy and Wig were a bit weak, but I've never cared for McCarthy anyway.     

Having not only the three remaining Ghostbusters but Annie Potts and Signorney Weaver show up as well was a very nice touch. 
Jim H

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2016, 11:58:32 PM »

Oh, I didn't mention it before, there's a small tribute to Harold Ramis that I liked.  It's a blink and you'll miss it moment, but it landed. 
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2016, 01:30:55 PM »

Oh, I didn't mention it before, there's a small tribute to Harold Ramis that I liked.  It's a blink and you'll miss it moment, but it landed. 
Also the final credit in the movie before the Sony logo is "For Harold Ramis."
Skull
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 09:04:34 AM »

I actually like it. 

It's good to know. My daughter wants to see the movie and I have the cringing thought of sitting in a show that wasn't entertaining... Although, I think Amazon/Netflix should have the movie in a few more months.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 07:48:02 AM »

Just throwing this out there. I'm a guy and a lifelong Ghostbusters fan. In fact, my earliest memories are of the first movie, heh. Anyway, I just ignored all the controversy and went to see it with my mom a few days ago and we both loved it. My favorite ghost was Mayhem, the dragon-like ghost that was haunting the rock concert.

My mom, who's been down in the dumps lately, was really cheered up by the movie, too, so it was nice seeing her smiling and laughing. In fact, the (rather small) audience loved it too. And later, a little boy who'd come to see it with his mother was playing at being a Ghostbuster using one of the light guns for the arcade games in the lobby. It was cute. So, all in all, a good theater experience for me, my mom and everyone who went to see it with us.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 02:27:02 PM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Goatbusters (2016) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.