Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:43:30 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Box Office Flashback: 2008 « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Box Office Flashback: 2008  (Read 8085 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »

12. Gran Torino (People keep saying this is awesome, but I never get around to seeing it)

You need to get on that. It is good. Jim H said the supporting performances were weak, and many of them were. I didn't think they were all bad, though. The priest was the worst of the bunch in my opinion. I can take the weak performances from most of the rest of the cast, but this character was pretty important.

However, Clint's performance is so great and badass that it more than makes up for any shortcomings in the supporting cast.

Yeah, maybe I should have been a bit more specific - most were bad, but there were a few decent ones.  I thought the hmong girl who first talks a lot to Clint Eastwood and basically introduces him to the family was pretty solid, for example, especially as I believe that was her first film.  Clint's two sons were alright.  Regardless though, Clint himself was good enough to carry the film and make it worth a watch.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 12:43:17 AM »

12. Gran Torino (People keep saying this is awesome, but I never get around to seeing it)

You need to get on that. It is good. Jim H said the supporting performances were weak, and many of them were. I didn't think they were all bad, though. The priest was the worst of the bunch in my opinion. I can take the weak performances from most of the rest of the cast, but this character was pretty important.

However, Clint's performance is so great and badass that it more than makes up for any shortcomings in the supporting cast.

Yeah, maybe I should have been a bit more specific - most were bad, but there were a few decent ones.  I thought the hmong girl who first talks a lot to Clint Eastwood and basically introduces him to the family was pretty solid, for example, especially as I believe that was her first film.  Clint's two sons were alright.  Regardless though, Clint himself was good enough to carry the film and make it worth a watch.

I just finished Gran Torino. The film is amazing. What is kind of annoying is that on the special features for some reason it appears that the subtitles are manditory.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 04:14:57 PM »

I saw this the year it was released, and loved it. Recently, I purchased a used DVD of it from the Library, and really, REALLY love it. Mr. Eastwood has gone on record as saying that GRAN TORINO is his last acting role; if so, it's one hell of an exit. A must-see film.

! No longer available Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Jim H

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »

I saw this the year it was released, and loved it. Recently, I purchased a used DVD of it from the Library, and really, REALLY love it. Mr. Eastwood has gone on record as saying that GRAN TORINO is his last acting role; if so, it's one hell of an exit. A must-see film.

He did say that, but his starring role in Trouble With the Curve 4 years later belies it.   TongueOut
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 12:26:31 PM »

He did say that, but his starring role in Trouble With the Curve 4 years later belies it.   TongueOut

Don't think I've even heard of it.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Jim H

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 08:46:18 PM »

Don't think I've even heard of it.

Yeah, I don't remember any ads for it at all.  But he curses out Matt Lillard in one scene, and I remember Lillard saying that was the highlight of his career, so there's that.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Box Office Flashback: 2008 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.