Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:17:15 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE (2016) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE (2016)  (Read 3355 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: June 26, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »

One Line Review: Okay entertainment for what it is, but not really "good."

Let me begin by saying I'm a fan of the original.  We enjoyed it when it came out, and have owned it on VHS and DVD so have multiple watchings.  I know it gets a lot of hate online, but so what.  I'm also a fan of STARGATE, so there.

The sequel does some things 'right,' but it's just a bit...poorly executed.  I think the worse thing to me, personally, was that I just didn't CARE this time around.  There was no suspense, really, and the characters (even the cool ones from the first movie) were cardboard cut-outs.

I also got sick of the "fly through something tight just as it closes/falls" cliche, which was WAY overdone in this movie.  I found it interesting that Cecil of Good Bad Flicks mentioned the same thing (see below).

Another thing that bugged me is Hemsworth's character was supposed to be one of the 'main' guys this go around, but he really didn't DO all that much.  He had little dialog, a heaped at us backstory, no real exceptional likability, and...well, he was just a face in the crowd it seemed...nothing stood out.  That's not a slam on Hemsworth; it's a slam on the screenplay.

A similar remark could be made for ALL the main characters, including those from the first film.  What did Goldblum really DO this time?  Not much.

One thing I did kinda like, though, was the alternate timeline present day...a kind of cool glimpse into what Earth might look like 20 years after a nearly successful alien invasion attempt, and how humans would cannibalize and steal the tech.  I mean, why not?

Chalk this one up to the film makers just trying to cash in on the 'name' or to create a 'franchise.'  A fun enough popcorn flick, but not much really "there."

And, Cecil's review which I think sums up my reaction pretty well (as is my habit, watched this review AFTER watching the film):

! No longer available Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 09:45:54 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 10:03:02 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  I don't think the original is some slam bang masterwork, but all the beats it hits, they hit mostly straight on (even when they're cheesy and manipulative) and more right than this one.  This has no memorable lines, no memorable scenes... It's not AWFUL, just kinda there.

Also, I think I'd rather have gotten a movie about the apparent war the African warlord guy fought against aliens on the ground in his country.  Would have been a lot more interesting, but wouldn't have been a huge explosion Devlin film I guess.

akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:09:10 AM »

I've been hearing it called "Indifference Day."

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Flangepart

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »

>Also, I think I'd rather have gotten a movie about the apparent war the African warlord guy fought against aliens on the ground in his country.  Would have been a lot more interesting, but wouldn't have been a huge explosion Devlin film I guess.<
E-yeah...the novelization mentioned the millions of deaths the following year (Winter, no crops gathered, hospitals gone, ect) so the twenty year period would be a series on it's own. Just the ability to build an alien inspired power source to replace all other sources would be a major tale alone. (Who builds them, who gets the allocated units and the like. Kinda along the lines of the world economy re: PACIFIC RIM

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 06:59:37 AM »

I didn't really care for the first one-the ending really ripped off WAR OF THE WORLDS-with it being a computer virus instead of a cold virus. And it was just too TOP GUN flag waving corniness that should have died in 80's films. I bet it ain't gonna make too much of a dent at the boxoffice.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
VenomX73

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »

Im on my way to the 7pm showing...

I cant wait! I am a huge fan of the 1st film.

Imo Jeff Goldblum is a great actor.

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
VenomX73

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 08:39:21 PM »

it was good...

Imo the 1st one was better, but hey the part 2 story was kinda cool.

and... we'll get a part 3 for sure

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 09:58:02 PM »

it was good...

Imo the 1st one was better, but hey the part 2 story was kinda cool.

and... we'll get a part 3 for sure

It's actually really underperforming, so I wouldn't count on it.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE (2016) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.