Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:14:29 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Halloween (1978) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Halloween (1978)  (Read 7881 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 09:09:01 PM »

That movie never really did much for me either.  There's some nice fall scenery and of course the excellent theme music, but Jamie Lee Curtis et al weren't sympathetic because they weren't developed to the point that I took them seriously as human beings.  Meyers just came off as a high school a-hole, standing around "menacingly" and then ducking behind a hedge, and didn't he drive past the girls and speed off when they laughed at him?  Yeah, real "pure evil" there lol.  "Show don't tell" they say, but it was all tell in that movie.

The second one was pretty bad, the third, without Meyers, was pretty cool IMO.  The fourth was a decent slasher, but then the fifth was a complete parody of itself.  One actress was so high on coke she was almost bouncing off the walls lol.  And it was all downhill from there.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 07:04:29 AM »

yeah I've heard that too I think ...possibly on a commentary track?

I was disappointed with the new one. felt very hackneyed and cliched. some of the bizarre attempts at comedy were abysmal.  the busta rhymes/reality show one is the worst though...whichever one that was

SPOILERS AHEAD

Ugh, that was part 8 basically. After HALLOWEEN H2O, which was part 7 and brought a decent movie and ending to the series, they came up with not only the death of Laurie Strode, but also one of the worst movies I've seen in a while. A complete mockery of the series, and a crapfest all around. Everything is ridiculous, but the explanation of how Myers survived being beheaded in the previous film takes the cake.

Check this trivia by the way:  Jamie Lee Curtis agreed to do her part, only to make sure her character, Laurie Strode (or herself) wouldn't appear in another sequel. (At the time of the film's initial release, executive producers Malek Akkad, and Moustapha Akkad tried to explain it by claiming Jamie Lee Curtis "was so impressed with the screenplay, that she wanted a large part in it". She has publicly stated that was not the case, she was under contract to do it.)

Yes, it's that bad.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »

hah. amazing how big established horror franchises with dedicated hardcore followings can just crash and burn so often... it's almost like once they get so far into the sequels they start deliberately making ones that everyone will hate

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 07:36:29 PM »

hah. amazing how big established horror franchises with dedicated hardcore followings can just crash and burn so often... it's almost like once they get so far into the sequels they start deliberately making ones that everyone will hate

I think that the writers get the idea that they don't need to put in much effort after a while. They start thinking that fans of the series will swallow anything served to them, so why give yourself fits trying to make it good?

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
chainsaw midget

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 08:18:05 PM »

That one was a train wreck alright. 

Halloween remains one of my absolute favorite Halloween (the holiday) movies.  I think it still manages to hold up as scary and interesting with some great fall scenery. 

Halloween 3 is probably the second best in the series.  For the longest time that was a movie everbody just dismissed as the one without Myers.  I'm glad in more recent years it's finally getting the respect it deserves. 

H20 wasn't bad, but I'll never understand why it was H20.  You want to watch Halloween water?  Couldn't they come up with something better than that?

I also really liked the recent movie they did.  I think it ends the series better than any of the other sequels ever managed.  ... and now I hear it's supposed to get a sequel too.   Bluesad
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 03:49:08 AM »

I find the 3rd one quite hard work, but I do like the concept... If it hadn't been part of the Halloween series and was just a stand-alone film, I still think it would've got a cult following

I think that the writers get the idea that they don't need to put in much effort after a while. They start thinking that fans of the series will swallow anything served to them, so why give yourself fits trying to make it good?

yeah sadly that's probably the case. also for some reason this genre is really susceptible to current trends. a TV reality show  ... part 5 did the 'psychic girl' thing like POLTERGEIST (as did FRIDAY 13TH PART VII around the same time)

wouldn't be surprised if we have a post-op 'Michelle Myers' in the next one...

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 06:41:57 AM »

My take on this: the first parts are made by talented people who had to travel a long way to make their movies. Just read the trivias of movies like NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, FRIDAY THE 13TH, or HALLOWEEN, and it's amazing the stuff they have to do in order to come up with the special effects, most of the times with extremely limited budgets. So yeah, even if you don't like the movies, you can't deny the genius of the people behind them, and how many actors we take for granted today came from those films.

The thing is, after the first hit, the original creators are no longer part of the franchise, therefore less talented people take the wheel, and the results are often disastrous. If you look at the previously mentioned franchises, look up in which ones the original creators are actually involved, and you'll notice how it oftens match with the good sequels.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »

yes also true. guys who weren't part of the original 'vision' take over. having said that I do enjoy a few of the F13 sequels more than the original

Archivist

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 11:35:43 PM »

... If I watch the first movie again, I'll try to imagine that it's 1978, Star Wars had been released, Jaws was a thing, and Star Trek The Motion Picture was still in memory. Those were fun days, hahaha.
STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE was released in 1979. 
Ah, I stand corrected. I was very young at that time, give me a break, lol. I just remember the ads for the Star Trek movie in the Marvel comics I bought around then.

IT'S COMING.  IT CAME.  IT WENT.  (I was one of the few that liked STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE.)

I did not originally like HALLOWEEN (1978) because I could see it was not filmed in the fall...!  Now, I came to like it, I've watched it several times and still like it. 

I'm with you on the original Star Trek movie. Despite some of the strange slowness (five minute unveiling of the Enterprise??), this movie evokes a deep sense of wonder and enjoyment that is rare, even in science fiction movies.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 04:43:17 AM »

yesterday I was walking along and a police van with "LOOMIS" written in very large letters on the side went past. random as heck. police? not sure what that's about, but I wouldn't want to be in that van

Neville

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2019, 10:42:14 AM »

I will always regard the original "Halloween" as a timeless classic. Not only it started -OK, along with "Friday the 13th"- the slasher genre but it also manages to avoid most of its mistakes. The reason, I think, is that Carpenter approached as a truly fantastic film, thrwoing realism out of the windows from the prologue, and investing Myers with almost supernatural skills. My favourite moment is when Laurie's friend pretends to talk to their stalker behind a hedge.

Now, if Carpenter himself had treated the sequels he was responsible of with the same care...

Oh, and I know Rob Zombie took a lot of criticism with his remakes, but I think they're OK movies, especially the first one. Nothing wrong with trying a new approach.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2019, 11:46:04 PM »

Oh, and I know Rob Zombie took a lot of criticism with his remakes, but I think they're OK movies, especially the first one. Nothing wrong with trying a new approach.

I watched ROB ZOMBIE's HALLOWEEN and like it better than most of his films; once you get over the idea that it is any kind of "remake" it is NOT a revisit but a re-telling.  It's okay is correct. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2019, 11:25:53 PM »

I will occasionally give some of the sequels a look (I like "III: Season of the Witch" a lot, and I revisited "4" this past Oct. for the first time in a while) but they're a mixed bag (a few are watchable, but there are a lot of stink burgers in the mix), and the 2018 "reboot" was unnecessary at best.

I've heard at least one claim that the Halloween franchise was not originally intended to revolve around Michael Myers, but to have an original story every couple of years, and Halloween III was the first real effort to fulfill that original plan. It flopped at the box office and they went back to making Mike Myers sequels.

I honestly believe that the movie would have performed better at the box office if it had simply been called Season of the Witch. As a standalone movie, it is still better than any other Halloween movie in the franchise. It definitely had the best ending! I don't think any other Halloween movie freaked me out more than the very last scene of Halloween III did.  TeddyRThumbup

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
voltron

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2019, 10:41:18 AM »

I think Halloween is a classic. But it had been done before and better. Same thing with F13th. When I was a kid and I was into franchise stuff (though I never really cared for Elm Street) I thought it was the be all end all of horror until you see stuff OTHER than the franchise stuff. You're kinda in your grorehound phase I guess and all I lived for was the kill scenes. The only redeeming factor for 99% of those films is the kill scenes. I saw a side by side comparison of Bay Of Blood's kill scenes vs. the first F13th and they were IDENTICAL. Horror fans over this side of the pond never saw something like an axe to the face in close up. THAT'S why people made such a big deal out of the original. Wanna see something that sucks? Watch F13th Pt. 1 edited for TV. Why I'm ranting on F13th is beyond me. Bottom line: Haloweeen is a classic but I think it's a little overrated. Black Christmas beats it hands down.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Neville

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »

Yes and no. I agree it had been done before, but it was done differently. Your comment made me think of the recent documentary on Psycho, in which one of the guests says killing had been done before, but never like this. Same applies to "Halloween" IMHO. But not in the way the killings are shown but in the way the film is narrated.

I agree in that "Black Christmas" is also great.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Halloween (1978) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.