Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:05:35 AM
713344 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do you smoke up? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Do you smoke up?  (Read 8252 times)
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 07, 2016, 09:17:09 AM »

I do. For me it's a total coping mechanism and a miracle drug. I have schizophrenia, really bad depression and horrible anxiety attacks and it's the ONLY thing that's helped me out consistently over the past 12 years or so since I was diagnosed. My shrink is dead set against me smoking it but screw her. As far as I'm concerned it's MY mind and body and I think I have an inkling about what helps me and what doesn't. Oh sure, it's OK for me to be on 14 mind altering pills a day but me smoking a little weed - that's blasphemy in the psychiatric world. Bulls**t. Just total bulls**t. Anyway here in Canada it'll be legal in about a year so there you go. Your thoughts on the subject?

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »

One thing I've never gotten is how someone can feel at liberty to incapacitate himself for the time involved in being intoxicated. If I was a stoner I'd worry that just when I got high one of my kids would need to be rushed to the hospital or some emergency would arise. Life's hard enough with all your faculties. I don't mean that to come off as judgmental as it probably sounds, I'm just serious, I don't understand how someone can feel off duty enough to relax and be even that much off the clock for a while. I guess I don't have that luxury.

That said, a few months ago I almost took someone up on an offer to ingest ayahuasca through a group he is in. I didn't, but I was tempted.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 10:02:16 AM »

It's odd, but the thing is, I'm not even tempted by alcohol or drugs.  I enjoy my life and have very little emotional baggage, so I don't need it as an escape, and the truth is, I am proud of my mind and don't want to mess it up with chemicals.

Well, OK, caffeine maybe. But nothing else! LOL

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
voltron

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:31:33 AM »

My whole thing  is how I actually smoke it which is a very small amount at a time so it's not like I'm totally fried 24/7. I'll have a few little puffs to take the edge off. Granted though when I have access to I generally smoke it quite a bit during the day. Right before I go to bed is usually when it really catches up to me and I do get a little stoned late at night, but to me that's no biggie because it helps me sleep well. I like being clear minded and having my faculties too but like I said before it's the only thing that helps my mental issues so take that as you will.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 01:38:50 PM »

Tried it, didn't feel any different.

yeah no.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 10:06:35 PM »

That's just the first time, sweet potato... 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 10:18:47 PM »

I was going to attempt a joke, but....nevermind.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 11:33:50 PM »

I was going to attempt a joke, but....nevermind.
G'head... so was I.  This site may have many threads, but they are quiet. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 01:59:42 AM »

I do. For me it's a total coping mechanism and a miracle drug. I have schizophrenia, really bad depression and horrible anxiety attacks and it's the ONLY thing that's helped me out consistently over the past 12 years or so since I was diagnosed.

Sorry to hear about your health issues, voltron: be well.  Thumbup

As for me, if I had a disease which is life-threatening, I would most certainly smoke marijuana or dagga as we call it here. My Mom had two sisters,one of whom had chronic asthma and breathing issues and the other had cancer. My maternal  grandma would make a tea from the leaves and they would drink it which would alleviate the symptons. Mom told me she tried the tea a few times and it was gross to taste, but it worked.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 08:16:41 AM »

I don't smoke up, I smoke marijuana. What's up?

Nah, in all seriousness... I liked it when I was in my late teens and early twenties, but the effects seem to change as you age. The paranoia/euphoria ratio rises to unfavorable levels.

Also, I never understood people who would smoke it every day. I did so briefly in my Freshman year of college simply because a friend had a steady supply, and my tolerance quickly rose to where it was pointless; I wasn't getting any real pleasurable effects.

As far as self-medicating mental issues: I'd be careful, Voltron. I have a cousin who is a functioning schizophrenic and recovering drug addict so I have studied the question a little. First off, there is a lot of evidence that marijuana can trigger the onset of schizophrenia in susceptible people. It seems that a number of schizophrenics do like to treat their symptoms with marijuana, but I think you can understand why it would be irresponsible for a doctor to recommend it. There are no good studies showing it helps in the long term. Something could make you feel better in the short term but be worse for you in the long term. (Schizophrenics also get relief from smoking cigarettes, but no doctor would recommend taking up smoking cigarettes). Also, prescribed drugs that don't seem to have much effect in the short term can have long-term benefits. Personally, I would follow the doctor's advice.

You also might think about trying CBD extract instead. It's comprised of a substance from marijuana that is thought to have medical benefits but has no THC (the part that gets you high).

http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/30/marijuana-compound-treats-schizophrenia-with-few-side-effects-clinical-trial/

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 11:12:16 AM »

I did it for a week when I was with my sister in Colorado for a week. I abused her hash pen a lot, still didn't feel any different (by a lot, I mean that in a single day I used it about 26 times)

yeah no.
voltron

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 12:02:18 PM »

I don't smoke up, I smoke marijuana. What's up?

Nah, in all seriousness... I liked it when I was in my late teens and early twenties, but the effects seem to change as you age. The paranoia/euphoria ratio rises to unfavorable levels.

Also, I never understood people who would smoke it every day. I did so briefly in my Freshman year of college simply because a friend had a steady supply, and my tolerance quickly rose to where it was pointless; I wasn't getting any real pleasurable effects.

As far as self-medicating mental issues: I'd be careful, Voltron. I have a cousin who is a functioning schizophrenic and recovering drug addict so I have studied the question a little. First off, there is a lot of evidence that marijuana can trigger the onset of schizophrenia in susceptible people. It seems that a number of schizophrenics do like to treat their symptoms with marijuana, but I think you can understand why it would be irresponsible for a doctor to recommend it. There are no good studies showing it helps in the long term. Something could make you feel better in the short term but be worse for you in the long term. (Schizophrenics also get relief from smoking cigarettes, but no doctor would recommend taking up smoking cigarettes). Also, prescribed drugs that don't seem to have much effect in the short term can have long-term benefits. Personally, I would follow the doctor's advice.

You also might think about trying CBD extract instead. It's comprised of a substance from marijuana that is thought to have medical benefits but has no THC (the part that gets you high).

http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/30/marijuana-compound-treats-schizophrenia-with-few-side-effects-clinical-trial/

Yeah AHD, I did a lot of reading about the subject a I realize it's a big no-no with someone with my condition. I've had doctors telling me stuff like it can cause psychotic episodes and such BUT since my diagnosis it has never had any negative impact on me whatsoever . If I thought it was hurting me in any way I would'nt touch it. It's only from my personal experience that I have the that viewpoint. At the same time my schizophrenia is really under control with the help of my meds. My main concern is my depression and anxiety. That's where it helps the most. And I chain smoke like a motherf**ker too. I think if I had access to mj all the time I could quit my cig habit and mj is obviously so much healthier than cancer sticks.

akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »

Nope.  I used to drink heavily and pop pills, though.  I don't do either of those, anymore.

Being numb, even for just a while, was nice.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 08:26:38 AM »

I do. I go through phases of smoking and not smoking. I feel that it actually improves the quality of my life to some degree. i know this is subjective but  I sleep better, have a more positive outlook, am more pleasant to be around, and have more of a drive to be creative. Ive been smoking for most of my life at this point. sometimes ill go for a year or two without smoking because at some point i start abusing it and become lazy. I was told by a psych that i may have some mild ptsd and depression and blah blah blah. further testing was recommended but he was more than happy to prescribe something that would help me improve my psychological state.  i refuse. i have seen what "happy pills" do to people. in my opinion this is one of the things affecting society. granted, some people do need medication. doctors give psychtropic drugs out like they are candy, especially to children. I personally feel that mj has a lot of medical and psychological benifits, there is science to back this up. mj will not make you have a psychotic break and drown your five children in a bathtub.

anyway, I smoke. aside from things about it that i feel help me, I ENJOY IT! I am a responsible adult, but i am in the closet about smoking because of the stygma. why should i be considered a drug addict? i shouldnt have to be ashamed. how can you tell me that i cant put something in my body?  I respect anybody who doesnt smoke, we all have our reasons. it doesnt make someone a bad person if they partake.

exterminate all rational thought.....
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 08:41:54 AM »

On occasion-like if I'm drunk and someone offers it-which isnt much cuz I usually either drink alone-or with my stepson Jim or my old high school buddy Larry-and neither smoke weed. But my son Jed smokes quite a bit-he don't drink-but if he stops over and I been drinking we'll get high and have a few laffs.
I think weed is MUCH less harmful than booze-I wouldn't wreck my house or drive my car into a tree on weed-cuz weed makes me THINK -I get mellow on weed. Booze-instant a***ole-just add alcohol. Drink
And I don't do it to self medicate-I just like to get high.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do you smoke up? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.