Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:00:50 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  BLU RAY - is hi def killing your favorite bad-movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BLU RAY - is hi def killing your favorite bad-movies?  (Read 2442 times)
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 18, 2016, 10:26:06 AM »

Im afraid im slowly becoming a blu ray snob. Ive spent many years and dollars collecting certain b-movies on dvd. For example; howard the duck. When i bought this movie back in the day i paid a premium price for this out of print jem. Now, i see it at walmart on blu ray! Dammit! Im seeing more and more of my rarieties on blu ray. Part of me is exited to see that something obsure that only i like getting some kind of recognition and restoration. Part of me is angry that i have to spend money on the same movie again. 

Some movies actually do look and sound better but it seems as though it has made some movies look much worse by really bringing out the flaws. 

exterminate all rational thought.....
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »

in my opinion some older films really benefit from a remastering, some don't.

watching HOSPITAL MASSACRE in its restored/digitally polished up form just seemed totally wrong. I loved the grainy early 80s-ness of the standard version, it was somehow part of its charm. it lost something by being tampered with.

then you have a movie like WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO SOLANGE? which I thought benefitted massively from being glossed up and restored.

same thing happens with music. some albums sound much better after being digitally remastered, some sound worse. (some don't really sound any different)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »

Because my PS3 plays both DVD and Blue Ray, I don't think I've bought a movie on blue ray that I already have on DVD.  I take that back, I have one.  King Kong 05, because it had the extended cut, and I seem to be one of the few people that really liked that movie.

I've re-bought plenty of movies because the first version I had was on VHS tape though.  But that's because I can no longer watch them.  (No VCR player)

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
voltron

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 08:19:35 PM »

in my opinion some older films really benefit from a remastering, some don't.

watching HOSPITAL MASSACRE in its restored/digitally polished up form just seemed totally wrong. I loved the grainy early 80s-ness of the standard version, it was somehow part of its charm. it lost something by being tampered with.
I'm just so stoked to have it in my collection finally so I'm not bummed about not having the VHS.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 12:22:27 AM »

Im afraid im slowly becoming a blu ray snob. Ive spent many years and dollars collecting certain b-movies on dvd. For example; howard the duck. When i bought this movie back in the day i paid a premium price for this out of print jem. Now, i see it at walmart on blu ray! Dammit! Im seeing more and more of my rarieties on blu ray. Part of me is exited to see that something obsure that only i like getting some kind of recognition and restoration. Part of me is angry that i have to spend money on the same movie again. 

Some movies actually do look and sound better but it seems as though it has made some movies look much worse by really bringing out the flaws. 

My experience is more movies had issues going from VHS level to DVD level than DVD level to bluray.  I can't think of too many films that are seriously damaged by Blu Ray's presentation.  I also do think it's worth a note that that's how it would have looked theatrically, so...

My favorite example of this, from DVDs, is still War of the World's, where when they merged and stabilized the three strip technicolor it made the wires visible.  Really damages the film.
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 08:29:46 PM »

It may depend on the format to which you're accustomed for different movies.  Every format (VHS, Beta, DVD, blu-ray) has a particular look that influences the way we remember a movie.  If you're used to watching a movie with that VHS softness, going to a full HD remaster might be jarring, even though that may be the way it was theatrically intended to be viewed.

The first time I saw Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce (1985), it was on a rented VHS.  Typical VHS softness.  When I got the laserdisc, it was a considerable improvement.  Lately, I've acquired the remastered blu-ray, and the clarity is fantastic.

On the other hand, i watched Wesley Snipes Blade (1998) over and over again on VHS until I saw the DVD.  The DVD was so clear that you could almost see the makeup and special effects, and the CGI looked more fake than before.  It was similar to the effect that The Hobbit (2012) in 48fps 3D had on audiences, where they could see the makeup and everything looked like 'reality', rather than a theatrical movie.

As an aside, go to YouTube and look at super 8 film footage that has been shot recently.  It looks very much like the footage taken in the original days of super 8, with all the quirks of colour, motion cadence and dynamic range.  It really surprised me to realize that those are the characteristics of super 8, rather than the degradation of film over time.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 12:26:02 AM »

The Hobbit at 48 FPS really makes all the props and costumes look way faker, especially armor - you can easily tell the weight is way off on a lot of things, which is normally covered up by the slight blur.  24 FPS feels a lot better for it.  Not a fan of high frame rate in general, but ESPECIALLY not for fantasy and other epics with lots of fake stuff that's made even more fake.  Hardcore Henry might have been cool at 48 FPS>
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  BLU RAY - is hi def killing your favorite bad-movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.