Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:00:46 PM
714339 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Magnificent Seven « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Magnificent Seven  (Read 6723 times)
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« on: July 20, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »

This looks like a terrible remake.
Small | Large

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 07:58:28 PM »

Aw, man, is that Chris Pratt? 

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 09:27:28 PM »

Aw, man, is that Chris Pratt? 

Yep.  I like him, but I'm still not sold on him as an action lead, even a cocky and jokey one.  Jurassic World he didn't really work, though he did in Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think it looks OK.  Antoine Fuqua is a pretty good director.  We'll see.  It's already a remake of a remake of a ripoff, so whatever at this point.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 06:24:59 PM »

Good, bad, or indifferent. It is one of my most anticipated films this year. Then again I always anticipate seeing any version of what I call "The Magnificent Seven" variation of a group of highly varied individuals--age, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation--trying to defend the indefensible from the undefeatable. And I'll have more to say about it, when it comes to a theater near me, which should be sometime around September 23 of this year or 2016.
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 09:03:54 AM »

This actually looks like fun...when you don't compare it to all the source materials it has. I quite like the cast and the Fuqua has a lot of good movies in his credit.

Neville

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 09:42:06 AM »

The trailer sucks, too much "attitude" for a serious western. Anyway, Fuqua is a decent director, and he should really trying to get a worse movie than "The Equalizer". From there, he can only improve.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 08:58:24 PM »

I really like the cast. That alone will make me see it.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 01:25:00 AM »

I'm taking Mom to see it in two weeks: it's screening in IMAX here.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 10:11:28 AM »

Did she see the original back in the day? May provide interesting perspective if so!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 02:23:08 PM »

Did she see the original back in the day? May provide interesting perspective if so!

I'm no one's Mom, but . . .?! If we want to go back to the original, then we have to go back to 1954's "7 Samurai," which, by the way is being remade, some 60 years after the original.

Which was followed by the remake in 1960 "The Magnificent 7," and (IMHO) one of the better remakes out there, and with the death of Eli Wallach, Robert Vaughan is the last of the major actors in it, still living.

And that was followed by its sequels . . .
"The Return of the 7" (11966)
"The Guns of the Magnificent 7" (1969)
and "The Magnificent 7 Ride" (1972.)

And then you have remakes of the remakes . . .
"The 7 Magnificent Gladiators"
"Stunt 7"
"The Devil's 8"
and "Battle Beyond the Stars,"
etc.

All of which I have seen, more or less, to my enjoyment. Though, that is just a short list, as to my knowledge, there are o'er 60 films, so far, that are some variation, more or less, of the 1954 original.
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »

Yeah, there was also an anime version of Seven Samurai a few years ago, which wasn't that good.  Battle Beyond the Stars itself is getting a remake.  I'd also call Three Amigos to essentially be an unlicensed remake, and A Bug's Life an unofficial remake of Three Amigos. 

Also, another small link - the Indian character in the new Magnificent Seven is named Red Harvest, a nod to the Dashiel Hammet novel (a fast read BTW, worth a look) which Kurosawa himself kind of ripped off for Yojimbo - only to then be ripped off himself for A Fistful of Dollars.
Neville

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »

"Red Harvest" itself is also one of the most adapted / copied storylines ever.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »

"Red Harvest" itself is also one of the most adapted / copied storylines ever.

I'd have to agree.  The basic concept is so primal (itinerant soldier type wanderer comes to a once good town with two factions at war in a city, plays them against each other to destroy both) it feels like it should be a Greek myth or something much older.  But I've never seen the basic storyline in any format earlier than Red Harvest.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 06:26:22 AM »

TeddyR TeddyR

She did: when I told her the title, she said "I saw that seven years before you were born."  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Archivist

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 02:20:49 AM »

Battle Beyond The Stars is a Seven Samurai/Magnificent 7 remake??  I never thought of it that way.  I'll have to watch it agina with that in mind.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Magnificent Seven « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.