Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:22:55 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Trek Beyond « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond  (Read 6190 times)
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« on: July 21, 2016, 11:49:40 PM »

I went and seen it this evening as the local theaters had early showings.

I liked it.  Fast paced enough that it never seemed to get boring. 

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 05:06:51 AM »

When I first heard that they were going to make a film with the original characters I was highly skeptical.
But they have kept the films true to their roots-(and such a wonderful final bow for Leonard Nimoy-quite touching he got to give his old freind Spock a final goodbye),and the new actors are very good.
I'm very excited to see the new one!  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »

I want to see this as soon as I can, but I've been sicker than a dog for the last 24 hours, so I don't think it'll be tonight.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Archivist

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:06:13 PM »

Definitely looking forward to seeing this one.  Not this weekend, but maybe the next. Or Beyond!   Wink

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 08:56:56 AM »

Really looking forward to it. I'll probably watch it next weekend. Never expected much out of this reboot...watched the first one long after it came out on DVD. But it got me hooked and the sequel was a must-see in the cinema. I only wonder if this will be the last one and if not how they coped with the tragic death of Anton Yelchin.

SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 06:32:38 PM »

Went to see this with my Dad, I agree with his opinion that this one "felt more like a Star Trek movie and not a bunch of kids on a starship." TongueOut

I felt much sadder about Anton's passing after the movie.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 01:41:08 AM »

I saw the trailer on Saturday and I thought: "Yes, I should see this."  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »

Obviously, 13 is not unlucky for some, as I believe this is the 13th "Star Trek" film and the 3rd with this cast, and there should be a 14th "Star Trek" film and the 4th with this cast next year. In comparison, this year will see the 8th "Star Wars" film.

I have also heard this is the film where Sulu comes out as being gay, the character, not the actor, and the 1st major gay character in a "Star Trek" film. Though, from what it is said, we can also expect, shortly, the appearance of gay characters in the "Star Wars" film.

And next year will see a new "Star Trek" TV series on CBS. With the series appearing 1st on CBS, then 24 hours later, appearing on Netflix.

And we will see what we will see.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:11:25 PM »

Finally got to see this one tonight.  LOVED it!  True Star Trek from start to finish.
Great action, great plot, and the new cast has truly grown into their roles. 
And a wonderful tribute to the original cast, there near the end.  I confess I teared up.
5/5 in my book.  Well done, JJ Abrams and crew!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »

Enjoyed this one. It feels like a solid two parter episode of a Star Trek show with $180 million in production values. That's mostly a compliment.

Well acted, all the characters have something to do, I like the new female character, good action and pacing, good lines. Best of the three so far

Complaints, I feel the villain is poorly motivated, and they could have done more. Also, the interior action scenes are cropped too close, I couls barely tell what was happening at times.

8/10
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 09:42:12 PM »

Looks like a regular action film with a Star Trek skin.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 05:02:35 PM »

It has done well at the box office. Unadjusted for inflation it might be the biggest domestic grosser in the Star Trek franchise, grossing some $140 million at the domestic box office as of August 12 of this year or 2016. Of course, just counting the domestic box office for a film that cost $185 million to make, it has yet to make back what it cost to make it,  and that is not including the ancillary costs over and above what it cost to make. Still . . .?! It has done well enough that we will likely see another Star Trek film, with the same cast, next year.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 02:07:16 AM »

I finally saw it on Saturday: good fun.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 10:23:22 PM »

It has done well at the box office. Unadjusted for inflation it might be the biggest domestic grosser in the Star Trek franchise, grossing some $140 million at the domestic box office as of August 12 of this year or 2016. Of course, just counting the domestic box office for a film that cost $185 million to make, it has yet to make back what it cost to make it,  and that is not including the ancillary costs over and above what it cost to make. Still . . .?! It has done well enough that we will likely see another Star Trek film, with the same cast, next year.

We don't seem to have heard much since this post a year ago, despite the initial confirmations of another sequel, since then.  I think the $343 million worldwide gross is a likely culprit - that's a box officer loser from an $185 million production, with marketing on top.  Way under the previous two films too - Into Darkness did $467 million world wide, and the 2009 film did $385 million. 

I'd guess it probably broke even with streaming rights and disc sales, but I'd call the film series at best on life support.  I'll wager interest in the new TV series will be what determines if a fourth film is made - if it's very popular, it might stir up enough interest.  Otherwise, dead.

Personally, what I think they should do is cut back the scale - nothing about Star Trek screams $180 million blockbuster.  Make a smaller scale $90 million film instead.  That's virtually a guaranteed money maker, I'd say.
Pacman000
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 07:40:19 AM »

Problem: In a world of $250 million budgets $180 million is already low...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Trek Beyond « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.