Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:50:53 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Well, shoot, they're closing Hastings « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Well, shoot, they're closing Hastings  (Read 6364 times)
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 22, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »

I just found out yesterday that Hastings filed bankruptcy and all the stores will be closing.  

For the uninitiated, Hastings is a chain of stores that has a variety of stuff.  They rent (and sell) movies, and games, along with books, comics, cards, posters music equipment, CDs, and all kinda of novelty stuff from (like action figures and things) from various pop culture stuff, like action figures from movies, anime, comics book, TV shows, you name it.  

I really liked the place, even though I never seemed to have much money to spend on anything.  I'd get a serious case of "Oh, my God, there's so much cool stuff to look at!  Where to start?" every time I went there. Plus it's been in our area for just over twenty years, so I don't know.. I guess it's silly, but I'm feeling kind of depressed about this.

Anyway, spoke to a worker there (feel sorry for those guys too) and he said they'll probably close in October.  Until then, they'll be doing sales each weeked to liquidate their merchandise.  

I suppose it was inevitable though, what with reading declining, and a lot people getting their movies and music online.  Still there's just something to be said  for actually having a physical place you can go and LOOK at stuff, you know?  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:20:56 PM by AoTFan » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »

Our local Hastings has been my second home for the last decade or more.
I am truly depressed about this.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 10:40:33 PM »

Lights out, Taps, farewell. The age of the bookstore is concluding, and with it comes a greater loss than we may at first realize.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 02:52:02 PM »

I'll miss Hastings; they have tons of neat stuff, they'd buy my unwanted DVDs, sometimes at a profit for me if I bought them cheap from Amazon, and they don't have that snooty, Barnes and Noble vibe going.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 02:28:36 AM »

I felt the same when the DVD/ Bluray/ CD chain store Look and Listen closed here: they were in almost every mall and they offered stuff that you could only find on Amazon on the shelves.

Unfortunately their prices were very high: I once remember seeing a DVD of Mona Lisa (1986) for ZAR600 (about $60  Buggedout) and those costs led to their closure.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
AoTFan

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 03:51:35 AM »

Hastings was a second home for me as well when I first moved out on my own (back in 95).  I didn't have a computer then, so I took up comic book collecting and watching cheesy movies.  At the time, you could rent their older films for only $0.49 and they had a pretty kickass selection of horror and cheesy action films I hadn't seen.  

(sigh)

Wonder if our local Family Video stores will be next? Or maybe The Book Rack?  The used book store I sometimes go to...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:35:25 PM by AoTFan » Logged
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 11:26:49 AM »

Sorry to hear that. 

Sounds like Hastings was a cool place.  We didn't have them around here at all.  Looks like they weren't really in the upper Midwest - none in IA, IL, WI, MN, MI, or the Dakotas.  The nearest one to me was in Kirksville, Missouri and I didn't even know these places existed up until now.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »

Yep, I am extremely bummed. I've never actually set foot in a Hastings store - they don't have any locations in New Jersey - but they've been my "go-to" site for cheap used CDs for about five years now. They've kept my CD addiction well fed. :(

When I first started hearing rumors that they were going to go out of business a couple of weeks ago I jumped on their site and ordered one last big used-CD haul of about a dozen discs. The last CD from that haul arrived in the mail this past Wednesday... and they announced their liquidation the next day, Thursday the 21st. Timing is everything!! :D

I will miss them. Hail and farewell. :(

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 05:10:57 PM »

I haven't had one around me for the longest time, but when I lived in texas, I went there constantly. 
AoTFan

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 11:07:01 PM »

Two things. 

In all the stores they have signs up saying they have "temporally" suspended movie rentals and on the website, they have a link for people who want to apply to get a job at Hastings. 

If you want to see it, it's next to the position for VHS rewinder.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 11:39:49 AM »

they got a lot of bad press due to the indiana smith book signings they had there.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 04:02:27 PM »

Hastings was the lifeline to books,  movies and music for a kid in Wyoming.   I'll miss them
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 09:57:28 AM »

I have no local Hasting but use to buy from them online .. seem they have shut down their online sales. Closest one to me is about 100 miles away - sad truth is brick and mortar stores will have trouble without a strong online presents which I actually thought Hastings had.

AoTFan

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 09:09:43 PM »

Been visiting my local Hastings here and there to see if there's anything I want to get.  It's a bit like visiting a friend with cancer over a course of time and watching him get more and more emaciated - bare shelves, empty spaces, all the posters taken down. 

According to the website, they're now discounting everything 30 to 50 percent off, although at this point the pickings might be a little slim.   
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 11:04:41 PM »

I've been going to ours once a week and buying books.  Fortunately there aren't a lot of history nerds around here, so the biographies and historical works are not as slimmed out as the fiction section is becoming.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Well, shoot, they're closing Hastings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.