Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:32:03 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Preacher « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Preacher  (Read 3272 times)
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 24, 2016, 11:37:57 PM »

I can't BELIEVE there's not a thread for this already.  This is a new AMC series, based on the cult comic books by Garth Ennis, has been on for about two months now.  I can't really tell you too much about how it compares to the comics as I've only read like one issue (and had some other stuff spoiled for me by jack offs in the newsgroup I used to go to.)  Still, so far, it's been a few slow eps punctuated by bits of wild and crazy action.  It's starting to build up steam though, so I recommend you check it out.

For those not in the know, Preacher is about a guy named Jesse Carter, a reluctant minister in a small Texas town.  Late at night while in a drunken stupor, a "force" (called Genesis) slams into Jesse's body, giving him the power to compel people to do anything he tells them to.  (Sometimes a bit too literally).  Two angels (custodians of Genesis) show up to try and reclaim it before the rest of Heaven (and Hell) figure out what's going on.  Meanwhile, joining the group is Cassidy, an Irish vampire who, on the run from "religious fanatics" that want to kill him, befriends Jesse after coming to his aid in a bar fight.  Plus, we've got Tulip, Jesse's ex who wants want him to join him for "one last job" and to get revenge on a former partner in crime that betrayed them both during a heist.

So, anyone else got any thoughts?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:10:56 PM by AoTFan » Logged
Neville

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 09:49:08 AM »

I enjoyed it... its trashing of good taste boundaries was refreshing in this PC day and age. My only gripe is the slow pace... at this speed, it's gonna take ages to go through the main arks in the comic book, and I can't wait to see some of them.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
dean

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:04:45 AM »

I'm with Neville, its a fun show, one which shows some truly brilliant moments but is slightly let down by the terrible pacing in places. If they sort that out in season 2 they'll be golden as I think this can be one of the most brilliant shows ever if they get that pacing issue sorted.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Spiff
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »

Fun show but Cassidy's accent is very distracting. It's not exactly bad it's not a Dublin accent (sounds like maybe Laois or Tipperary). You'd thinl Ruth Negga might have mentioned it to him.
AoTFan

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »

Fun show but Cassidy's accent is very distracting. It's not exactly bad it's not a Dublin accent (sounds like maybe Laois or Tipperary). You'd thinl Ruth Negga might have mentioned it to him.

Honestly?  I sometimes have rewind the series and re-watch it with subtitles on to catch what he's saying.

Now, season two! (Warning, spoilers from season one)

This season has started out WAY faster paced than the previous one.  At the end of season one, the gang has hit the road looking for God (who has apparently left Heaven for reasons unknown.)  We start off with a car chase scene as Tulip (with Jesse egging her on) decides to try and outrun some police officers in her car but quickly runs out of the gas.  The long chase brings over half a dozen cops on their tale.  As Jesse tries to use The Voice to enable the gang's escape, we suddenly hear cannon-like gunfire as the cops began to blossom in splatters of red.  The Saint of Killers (some kind of assassin from hell) is on the gang's trail, and, in a nice bit of suspense, we quickly find out that The Voice has no effect on him.

Anyway, so far, only seen three eps, and in the last we get to find out a bit more on how Eugene is doing (apparently sharing the same cell block in hell as Hitler and who knows who else.)

Again, this start of the season is better than the first, although it has had a bog downs.  Tulip is in some sort of trouble that she, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to want to talk to the others about.  (It seems to do with New Orleans based thugs) but if you're got a guy on your side that can magically tell people to do anything and a freaking vampire, I don't see why such a small thing would be a big worry.  Hopefully, there's more to the situation the show hasn't revealed yet...

That's my sum up so far!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Preacher « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.