Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:52:24 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies that aren't the genre they advertise « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies that aren't the genre they advertise  (Read 5134 times)
Chainsawmidget
« on: August 09, 2016, 05:36:56 PM »

Have you ever sat down to watch a movie that's supposed to be some martial arts extravaganza only to find out it's just a normal cop flick or saw a horror movie that's really just a character drama?

Or a movie that's obviously horror but nobody wants to call it that.

Basically this here is a topic for the movies that aren't what they claim to be.

I'd like to start with Nothing but Trouble.

It calls itself a comedy.  It's got John Candy, Dan Akroyd, and Chevy Chase starring in it (and yes, they actually are the main characters.  it's not one of those "Starring" means "plays a minor supporting character but gets top billing" things.)  You'd expect it to be somewhat funny, and it does have it's moments. 

But Nightmare on Elm Street also had it's moments of humor. 

This movie is DARK.  Dark Dark.  Not funny dark like Ghostbusters or Beetlejuice.  It's far closer in tone to something like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Deliverance.  This is a straight up horror movie that pretends to be a comedy. 
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »

Psychological thriller advertised as traditional straight up horror is probably the most common one I come across. Something that has a lot of scares in say the trailer but in reality only a handful of 'scares' and is more about character building/degenerating. I love psychological thrillers but there's a particular time and emotional investment you have to be prepared for when choosing how your mood is and sometimes you just want a mindless slaughter  Twirling.

Movies advertised as horror but are more a comedy [eg Cabin in the woods] tend to be surprises I enjoy rather than get frustrated by since they have a similar emotional investment.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 08:18:45 PM »

I can't tell if Nothing But Trouble was supposed to be a comedy and missed or if it was deliberate. Bizarre film
Nathan45
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »

The Happening

"Lets Scare Jessica to Death" is one of the oddest titles for what the movie is actually about that I can think of.
Archivist

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 09:55:35 PM »

Up In The Air (2009) looks like a quirky romcom.  

! No longer available Small | Large

Starring George Clooney as a perennial bachelor who lives and loves with no strings attached, it tells the story of how he falls for a fellow traveler.  The movie is a lot more quirky than it appears in the trailer, and an ending that, while not the usual 'happily ever after' of romcoms, is oddly satisfying.

I've read that Drive (2011) with Ryan Gosling is billed as an action packed thriller, it is far more slow burning and atmospheric.  Is this true?

! No longer available Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:29:01 AM by Archivist » Logged

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »

There was a movie called Quills, about the Marquis de Sade.  It advertised as a love movie between him and the laundry girl at the asylum where he was incarcerated.  It ... wasn't.  It was actually a very, very effective horror movie, with Michael Caine in particular delivering a truly chilling performance.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:01:21 PM »

I think a lot of people who saw Closer thought it was going to be a romcom of some kind and it certainly was not. probably because Julia Roberts was in it and the title is ambiguous. I loved it but I am from the other side of the universe as those people
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »

Lenzi's EATEN ALIVE advertises itself as a cannibal flick, however the censored version (which afaik was much more widely distributed than the uncut version) has no scenes of cannibalism in it.

likewise ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST only has its 'zombies' (if they can even be called that) onscreen for about a minute, if I remember right.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 04:15:51 PM »

I've read that Drive (2011) with Ryan Gosling is billed as an action packed thriller, it is far more slow burning and atmospheric.  Is this true?

Basically, yes. It's an arthouse drama with a few tense moments, not an "action packed thriller" by any stretch.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 05:21:34 PM »

Falling Down (1993)
Prior to it's release, it was being depicted as a comedy about a nerdy guy turned klutzy vigilante.
After it's release, it was repackaged as a full blown action thriller.

When I finally got around to seeing it at a second run cinema, it came across as a movie that couldn't decide what it wanted to be.
Realizing out of the box that Michael Douglas was supposed to be John List on a grander scale gave me no sympathy for the Bill Foster character.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 11:44:19 PM »

Falling Down (1993)
Prior to it's release, it was being depicted as a comedy about a nerdy guy turned klutzy vigilante.

When I finally got around to seeing it at a second run cinema, it came across as a movie that couldn't decide what it wanted to be.
Realizing out of the box that Michael Douglas was supposed to be John List on a grander scale gave me no sympathy for the Bill Foster character.

Good example.  I think it would have been a lot more interesting if Bill Foster had actually been a normal guy at war with the ordinary world, as the tagline says, instead of a person with rage problems finally unleashed.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 04:23:15 AM »

People will probably want to chuck shoes at me for mentioning this one but Fred Zinnemann's High Noon was supposedly a Western when it was actually a political thriller.

Richard Donner's Lethal Weapon 2 was promoted as a buddy cop action comedy but it was actually one long anti-South African screed.

Neil Blomkamp's District 9 was an anti South African film disguised (not well) as a sci-fi action film.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 08:41:20 AM »

Falling Down (1993)

Good example.  I think it would have been a lot more interesting if Bill Foster had actually been a normal guy at war with the ordinary world, as the tagline says, instead of a person with rage problems finally unleashed.

Indeed.  He was just a jerk.  For example, pulling a gun on fast food workers because he was a few minutes too late to get the breakfast menu.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Skull
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »

Phat Girlz (2006) was supposed to be a comedy but not! This is the most depressing movie I'd ever watched. I've put the story on my top 10 worst moves ever list because the story was advertise as a comedy.
voltron

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 06:17:09 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7EPMHgSjms

Screamers (1979)

"They're men turned inside out!"
Quite misleading. More appropriate title aka Island Of The Fishmen.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies that aren't the genre they advertise « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.