Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:20:55 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Reel Wild Cinema « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reel Wild Cinema  (Read 4052 times)
BREELROYALTY
Dedicated Viewer

« on: August 18, 2016, 10:46:35 AM »

I have the fondest memories of this show. When I was 8 I would wake up at 1 in the morning and see my dad watching it and I would watch a segment or two and then go back to bed. It was one of the highlights of having my dad. He let me watch a show where ladies boobs were blurred out with USA's logo, and violence was fake but all over the place.

If you have any great memories of this show post about it, FYI someone posted them on YouTube, but I have the VHS copies my dad made. :-)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 02:12:11 PM »

I sort of remember it, I watched a few episodes. With Sandra Bernhard as the host, right? Seems to me it lasted less than a year before it was canceled.

I think it was sort of similar to a British program called "The Incredibly Strange Film Show" that was syndicated on PBS for a short time. I remember that series better. Before the Internet, these shows were one of the ways we figured out which titles to hunt down.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 08:24:18 PM »

That show intoduced me to  the GIRL AND THE GEEK and the WEIRD WORLD OF LSD!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BREELROYALTY
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 10:37:51 PM »

I sort of remember it, I watched a few episodes. With Sandra Bernhard as the host, right? Seems to me it lasted less than a year before it was canceled.

I think it was sort of similar to a British program called "The Incredibly Strange Film Show" that was syndicated on PBS for a short time. I remember that series better. Before the Internet, these shows were one of the ways we figured out which titles to hunt down.

This show was the reason why my dad bought "Nudes on the Moon" I have to check out The Incredibly Strange Film Show. The way RWC worked was that you could send them your info to buy the any of the films on the show. They even had a "Reel Wild Cinema Club" where you recieved a shirt, and a catalogue.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »

I dearly loved this show; it was perfect for coming in at night with a buzz on. The flicks were great, and I even found Sandra Bernhard kinda sexy back then.

! No longer available Small | Large

! No longer available Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
telegonus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 04:03:34 AM »

Reel Wild Cinema was a treasure; very funny and yet unlike MST3k  respectful of the films they showed, or as respectful as they could be. I mean, Sandra really seemed to enjoy her job and really got into it. Her comments were funny and her commentaries, if that's the right word for what she said, was neither ironic nor snarky. It's like it was a labor of love for her.
  Thumbup  Twirling

I wish the show had lasted longer. This is not the first place I've encountered fans RWC fans. It showed the potential to become a cult classic.
javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 08:16:58 AM »

The whole thing was done by, mostly, Something Weird Video, which, at the time, was one of the best and better-known sources for bizarre cinema on VHS.

I enjoyed the guests they would have on the show, like H.G. Lewis, Fred Williamson, David Friedman, and others. It was a real treat to see the people who made the lovely bits of insanity I found so delightful. Of course, they mostly rolled out the same stories I've heard a million times since then, but I heard a number of them for the first time on RWC.

I doubt a show like that could go over these days, unless it was hosted by idiots who would ridicule the films to show how "smart" they are, while screwing up basic facts that 5 minutes of casual research would correct. (Yes, I'm looking at the popular Youtube commentators on crap films, except The Cinema Snob, but he has his own set of issues that frustrate me. Kids today.  Lookingup)

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
telegonus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 06:00:28 PM »

You're probably right. RWC was from the golden age of cable,--the Eighties, into the Nineties--and it was a time that has passed into history, as the saying goes, which is odd (for me) to say since it wasn't all that long ago. There was another one that showed some strange movies, mostly horrors,--was it Joe Bob's Drive-In?--anyway, a Texas guy, and very funny. He was kinda deadpan, a la Tommy Lee Jones, whom he reminded me of a little.

Stuff like that wouldn't go over today. We've become too unsophisticatedLookingup Sounds weird, I know, but I think it's true.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Reel Wild Cinema « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.