Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:47 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies that Scared you « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies that Scared you  (Read 6707 times)
Chainsawmidget
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:32:52 AM »

Halloween decorations are starting to sneak into stores, so let's talk scares. 

What movies (or scenes from movies) do you remember that have actually scared, frightened, or given you the chills?  It doesn't matter if it was a movie you saw last week or something that freaked you out when you were five years old.  In fact talking about the scares you had as a kid might even be more fun. 

Let me share a few. 

The first movie that I can ever remember scareing me was Beetlejuice.  While there's plenty of creepiness  thoughout, there are two scenes that got me. 

One is when they ask Beetlejuice if he can be scary and all this weird stuff just quickly pops out of his head.  The other is later in the movie when he turns into a snake.   That always creeped me out. 

Another good creepy moment was at the end of Vincent Price movie House on Haunted Hill.  Now the good Mr. Price is one of those people that can make reading the phone book sound scary, but it's his confession at the end that got me.  I'm going to spoil the movie for you if you haven't seen it (and why haven't you?)

At the end, we find out all the spooks and craziness was just an elaborate plot by his wife to kill him.  Then we find out, he knew that all along and was playing along so he could kill her instead.  After she takes a dip in some acid he “confesses” to the others that he may have accidentally caused her death but it going to take responsibility for that. 

The guy just straight up murdered her, doesn't show the slightest bit of remorse, and is going to get away with it completely.... and they're still locked away in the “haunted house” with him until morning.   

It's just a really great chilling moment. 

For more modern sensibilities,  I'd also like to bring up Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer is a disturbing movie.  There are really no good people in that movie, evil triumphs without even a hint of anyone trying to stop it, and there's not even any explination for why Henry is doing what he's doing.  Very bleak movie. 
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 01:16:22 PM »

The advertisements for Gremlins scared me a lot as a kid and gave me nightmares.....I still haven't seen it or Gremlins 2

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Paquita

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »

EVENT HORIZON!  That movie scared me like no other!  Serious space/alien movies bother me - I usually don't watch them.  I'll watch demonic horror movies, but they tend to creep me out the most. But demons in SPACE!  Whoa! No way man!  I can't even look at Sam Neill anymore without getting a little scared in my tummy. I won't watch that one again!

Night of the Demons (1988) is a good one.  I watched it again recently and I was surprised that the "jump scares" still got me.  I like the way this movie scares me though Smile.

The Haunting (1963) still scares me a little too.. in a good way.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 01:29:47 AM »

Crowhaven Farm

Baffled!

Jannie Totsiens

The Medusa Touch

The Believers

Prince of Darkness

Event Horizon

Also, if a non-horror film has a scary sequence in it - e.g. the dream sequence in Robert Benton's Still of The Night (Teddy bear with the bleeding eye socket) and the interrogation scene in Michael Apted's Gorky Park - then that is memorable and scary for me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:01:13 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 06:29:28 AM »

THE RING
JEEPERS CREEPERS
THE HANGMAN
MIRRORS
WILLOW CREEK
GRAVE ENCOUNTERS

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:52:05 AM »

Mullholland Drive

Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders

two films that succeeded in making me half think I'd stopped being awake and had slipped into some kind of alternate consciousness that was not comfortable

Don't Look Now - atmospheric creeps

Open Water
Jaws

2 shark ones. Jaws goes for the blockbuster Hollywood type scares but they work amazingly. Open Water is more the 'oh god what's going to happen' type uneasiness but it genuinely freaked me out

Long Weekend

tension builds and builds. never over the top, but had me squealing by the end.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:56:38 AM by zombie #1 » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 06:33:44 AM »

How on earth could I have forgotten about Pet Sematary? *

I ran out of the fricking theatre!!   Buggedout Buggedout

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 01:41:54 AM »

Two other frightening films, both from South Africa and both banned:

The Stick Buggedout

The Shadowed Mind Buggedout

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 04:07:10 AM »

Renny Harlin's Mindhunters was another one.  Buggedout

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 04:14:00 AM »

The advertisements for Gremlins scared me a lot as a kid and gave me nightmares.....I still haven't seen it or Gremlins 2

I'd recommend you see Gremlins 2: it's very funny indeed and less darker than the first film.   

claws
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 12:40:06 PM »

from my childhood:

The Last Man on Earth (1964) on TV. Gave me nightmares. Woke up screaming actually.
Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971) at the theater. Too intense for me. We left the theater because I was freaking out.
Expulsion of the Devil (1973) on TV. Peeking through sheets only.
The Exorcist (1973) at the theater. I was hiding behind the person sitting before me, peeking through my hands.
Jaws (1975) at the theater. I was too scared going swimming after watching this.
The Omen (1976) at the theater. Again, hiding behind the person before me most of the time.
The Sentinel (1977) at the theater. First time I screamed, but so did most in the audience.
Alien (1979) at the theater. First certified jump scare that made me actually jump out of my seat. I sort of missed out on the one in Jaws because I had my eyes covered.

in my teens:

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) on video. Stuck with me for weeks because the film was so disturbing.
The Evil Dead (1981) on video. Notorious dare-you-to-watch back in the day. I did watch, but from behind my pillow  BounceGiggle
Poltergeist (1982) at the theater. First time I realized that being scared can also be fun.

As an adult I hardly get scared watching horror movies anymore. The last film that creeped me out big time however was Paranormal Activity (2007).
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 06:32:45 PM »

Them.  I was very young (low single digits) and it stuck with me.  Now it is one of my all-time favourites.
Dracula (1931)  I read the book when I was about 10.  Almost couldn't watch the movie.  Slept with the covers held tight around my neck for many years after.
The Innocents (1961)  Shook me up: not knowing what was real and what wasn't.  Yikes!

eta: Event Horizon (1997)  and In the Mouth of Madness (1994) did a fair job of scaring me too.  These days, for me 'scared' is more achieving a sustained state of uneasiness than anything else.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 06:37:41 PM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 05:17:12 PM »

The Omen (1976) at the theater. Again, hiding behind the person before me most of the time.
oh yes, good call. quite a few scares in there...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »

As a kid/teen (I generally avoided horror films as a kid as they tended to give me recurring nightmares):

Salem's Lot (the window scene)
Predator (the big reveal and the discovery of people skinned)
Superman III (the merge of computer and human)
Poltergeist (clown & tree scenes)
The Shining (the little girls, Nicholson going off the deep end)
Jaws (bigger boat)
Alien 3 (it was the first one I actually saw)
Forbidden Planet

As an adult:

Ringu
The Ring
The Grudge
Ju-On: The Grudge
The Haunting (1963)
The Innocents (1961)
Carnival of Souls
Poltergeist II
The Day After
Threads
Intruders (1992)
Nosferatu (1922)
Halloween (1978)
Psycho (1960)
Alien (1979)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Jacob's Ladder
In the Mouth of Madness
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Evil Dead (1981)
Freaks (1932)
Planet of the Vampires
Queen of Blood
Lifeforce
Quatermass and the Pit
The Thing from Another World
The Fly (1986)
Horror Hotel (aka City of the Dead)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Black Sunday
Burn, Witch, Burn!
The Reptile
The Thing (1982)

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 02:48:45 AM »

When I was very young, I remember sneaking a peek at a movie my father was watching and being terrified by the monster. That movie, I'm ashamed to admit, was Monster of Party Beach, with the hot-dog mouthed monster being the source of my terror. Go figure.

As a teen, the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers scared me good. I refuse to go back and watch it again in order to preserve that feeling. I rewatched Party Beach and saw how ridiculous that monster was; I don't want the same to happen with Body Snatchers.

The first Nightmare on Elm Street was good and creepy. A guy that kills you in a dream?!? Yikes!

The most recent movie that gave me a good case of the creeps was probably The Babadook. It may not work for everyone, but it sure left me a bit uneasy.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies that Scared you « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.