Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:11:39 AM
713347 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Stranger Things « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 7203 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« on: September 01, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »

Stranger Things
Small | Large

A Netflix series starring Winona Ryder and Matthew Modine.  Fantastic series.  Stoked for season 2.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »

I have a uh... friend who's been thinking about watching this, but he doesn't have Netflix.  So he's been looking around online for a place to watch it but all the sites he tries seem to have a crap ton of spyware and/or pop up ads.  Dunno what to tell him... 

TeddyR
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:46:57 AM »

Dunno what to tell him... 

TeddyR

Get Netflix? Seriously, he could just get it for a month, watch 2 seasons, and cancel. Would only cost $8.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pacman000
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:48:19 AM »

I think they released it on DVD.

Checking... BluRay, at the least: https://www.target.com/p/stranger-things-season-1-collector-s-edition-target-exclusive-blu-ray-dvd/-/A-52823816#lnk=sametab
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »

Dunno what to tell him... 

TeddyR

Get Netflix? Seriously, he could just get it for a month, watch 2 seasons, and cancel. Would only cost $8.

It would actually cost zip, since the first month is a free trial period. Even so, Netflix has plenty of good stuff, including the new MST3K.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:18:22 PM »

A show that's a little derivative but makes up for it with fantastic characters, acting, and well paced suspense that doesn't use a lot of jumpscares.

The highlight of the show in my opinion is the acting. Not only is Winona Ryder amazing in the role of Joyce Byers but it has a plethora of talented child actors.
It's proof that only 99.99% of child actors are worse than malaria.

---
SPOILERS
---

Pretty much all of the scenes with Winona Ryder are fantastic like sleeping with an axe, stringing up Christmas lights, and painting the alphabet on the wall to communicate with her son. But the part that really showcased her acting ability is when she's in a cupboard hugging a wad of Christmas lights since it's the closest thing to holding her missing son. It's absolutely heart wrenching and seeing her stop at nothing to get her son back, not caring that she looks like a lunatic, makes her one of the strongest characters in the show. The scene where she walks back into the house when she knows there's a monster inside with a look of pure determination of her face is absolutely badass. When the lights spell out R-U it's the ultimate "Oh s**t" moment because you know right away the last letter is N and it's absolutely terrifying.

Millie Bobbie Brown plays a girl that barely speaks English and talks in a monotone, almost robotic voice. Despite this she gives way more than just a monotone performance. The scene in Stranger Things 2 where Eleven gets in a fight with Hopper is very difficult to watch but is acted perfectly and the scenes where random things trigger flashbacks to her time with Dr. Brenner are increadibly saddening, just watching this poor girl growing up in unending abuse, not even treated like a human being. I just love the scene where she flips the game board and slams down the Demogorgon piece. It's a perfect build up of exactly how terrifying this monster is.

Finn Wolfhard is extremely mature for his age. Not only is his acting fantastic but the real life kid is actually pretty damn smart and has a great sense of humor. I even saw him on two episodes of Game Grumps and he was absolutely hysterical. "Dude, my baby ears hurt."
He even responded very maturely to blatant sexual harassment.

AoTFan

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »

It's proof that only 99.99% of child actors are worse than malaria.

In fairness to Lloyd, I don't think anyone could have made that s**tty script good.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 09:54:42 PM »

I have a uh... friend who's been thinking about watching this, but he doesn't have Netflix.  So he's been looking around online for a place to watch it but all the sites he tries seem to have a crap ton of spyware and/or pop up ads.  Dunno what to tell him... 

TeddyR
Worst case scenario, most major chain stores like CVS, Rite-Aid and Wal-Mart sell Netflix gift cards starting at $15.  Use that, get a month's use out of it to watch what you want, and it expires in a few weeks.

Or if you know someone with a Netflix acct just use their info.  I have a friend at work and I used hers for like 2 years before signing up myself.

316zombie
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 05:14:04 PM »

a truly excellent series! make sure you watch beyond stranger things as well,AFTER you watch seasons 1&2. fabulous interviews!
   eleven,dylan and joyce are my faves, although i do love hooper. all the actors are great, but the first 3 i mentioned, they just...shine for me.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 12:21:59 AM »

a truly excellent series! make sure you watch beyond stranger things as well,AFTER you watch seasons 1&2. fabulous interviews!
   eleven,dylan and joyce are my faves, although i do love hooper. all the actors are great, but the first 3 i mentioned, they just...shine for me.

I've only had the chance to watch the first episode of that. The fact that Finn Wolfhard mouthed the words "I'm coming in" to Millie Bobby Brown before he kissed her is f**king hilarious to me.

stine.greta
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 02:05:50 AM »

You should tell him to create an account on Netflix it is worth it.

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »

If you like Stranger Things, then you'll love Dark.

A German series, with English subtitles, streamed on Netflix in 10 episodes. Those who have seen both Stranger Things and Dark say Dark is the much better show.

A family saga, with a supernatural twist, set in a German town, where the disappearance of two young children exposes the relationships among four families.--From the summary for the show at imdb.com.

Not having Netflix, I have not seen it, except for the trailer for the show, but that was enough to intrigue me into seeing the show.

Since I haven't seen Stranger Things, Dark reminds me more of the British TV series Broad church, which I have seen. Though, that is more of a mystery than a supernatural thriller.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »

I hear Dark is good.  I keep meaning to watch.

But I mean, Stranger Things is worth it, sir.

316zombie
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 04:30:28 AM »

I've only had the chance to watch the first episode of that. The fact that Finn Wolfhard mouthed the words "I'm coming in" to Millie Bobby Brown before he kissed her is f**king hilarious to me.

oh definitely, and it gets better! i won't say more, i try not to do spoils, lol!
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 09:26:55 PM »

I finally got around to watching this.  I picked it up on DVD.  I didn't think it was the absolute greatest best thing veer like some people I've seen online are saying it is, but it is really good. 

The series has a very 80s feel with cast and plot, but modern film making techniques.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Stranger Things « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.