Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:14:42 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does anyone have Windows 10? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone have Windows 10?  (Read 3841 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: September 04, 2016, 03:10:11 PM »

Does anyone here use Windows 10 as their OS?  If so, how do you feel about it.  I know it gets a lot of flack but does it deserve it?

I'm planning on getting a new computer in the very near future. I need something powerful enough to run several graphic programs (vector and bit map) and some basic film editing. As well as web surfing, word processing, and the mundane tasks I need my computer for. It would be best to stay with a PC because my old documents were done on a PC, plus some stuff gets transferred back and fourth so it would help just to keep everything compatible as possible.

The best solution's would be to get a new one with the specifications tailored to my needs.  Ordering new would mean getting Windows 10 because that's all they sell.   

Just last night I was talking to some friends who work with computers and they said they were having trouble fixing one and they put the blame squarely at Windows 10's feet.  They suggested getting a Windows 7 or 8 computer.  Problem is finding one I think fits my need.  Most advertised seem to be made specially for being gaming computers.

I have a very very basic understanding of computers.  I know my fair share, but I would love someone to talk about it how isn't a sales oerson.

What are your experiences with it?  Is there a site you trust that I could get some better information and ask questions?

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
claws
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »

I bought a new computer just last week. It has everything installed, including windows 10. I'm no gamer and I'm not an expert but I have no problems with the new PC. I don't know if its worse or better than 7 or 8.

I had to retire my old PC which I bought in 2007. It still had windows XP  BounceGiggle I couldn't update anything since XP is a dead program, so I'm more than happy to zoom the net with windows 10.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »

I tried the 10 Upgrade when it was all the rage, & thought it was okay... I don't remember everything I did & didn't like/dislike about it, Just that I had to roll back a week later because my out dated machine couldn't handle it.

I heard a lot of the same when XP came out; I liked it, everyone else hated it.

It depends on whether you get a decent CPU, and the rest takes some getting used to.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
dean

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 05:37:22 PM »

You basically don't have to worry about it unless you're updating from an older OS on an older machine. I've found its much better than 7 and for the most part acts the same as any normal windows but can switch to suit tablet/mobile easily which is handy if you happen to get one of those new fangled laptops with touch screens.

I'm running it on a pretty crappy netbook and seems to be working just fine.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 06:36:22 PM »

Windows 8 was an unending nightmare. They took away the desktop and tried to replace it with a confusing cell-phone type layout, then had to update and restore the desktop when everyone freaked out. Plus it was super buggy. Do not get a Windows 8 machine. I like 10 just fine, but would rather have 7 than 8 (assuming all the software you need is compatible).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 12:18:34 PM »

It's been years since I've had a personal Windows machine.  My personal machines have either been Macintosh or Linux based.  My only experience with Windows 10 has been messing around for brief moments with machines in places like Staples or Best Buy. 

My work machine is Windows 7 based.  I think Windows 7 is a fine operating system, but the machine it's on leaves a lot to be desired.  (The machine's brand name ends with two Ls).  With any version of Windows performance seems to be dependent on how good the underlying hardware is.  If the hardware is decent you'll have decent performance, if not then you'll have problems.

I don't know how long it'll be until work starts issuing Windows 10 machines.  Probably either the next cycle or the one after that.

My personal laptop is a 2014 MacBook Air.  It's a pretty good machine for my needs, lightweight and with a long battery life.  My only gripe is the amount of storage they provide.  250gb isn't near enough for my needs.  A few months after I bought the Air I then went and bought a customized PC from a place in the Quad Cities - I had them not put any OS on the machine, I told them I was going to put Ubuntu Linux on there and they built the machine to handle that type of Linux.  I had them put a 2tb drive in the machine and put all my documents and photos on there, and just keep the ones I need on my MacBook Pro.  Still I bump in to space issues.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
AoTFan

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:18:20 PM »

I have Windows 10, it came pre-installed on the new computer.  For various reasons, the last OS I mainly worked with was XP, so having skipped several "steps" in the Windows evolution there was a bit of a learning curve involved.  I don't know, I've gotten (mostly) used to it, but there's still a lot of stuff in Windows 10 that I can't help but think, "Geez, this and that feature were just fine the way they were, why did they have to change it?"  Course, a lot of that I suppose has less to do with Windows 10 and just all the version of old software programs.  

Either way, it's yet another thing that makes me feel old.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:40:26 PM by AoTFan » Logged
Skull
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 09:08:52 AM »

I don't like windows 10 because it forces you to link to a microsoft account and the account hogs the computer speed; unless your lucky to set the computer up without adding such thing (which is tricky)
Skull
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 09:16:29 AM »

Odd thing I'd did noticed on windows 10 (not sure if anybody ran across it yet)...

my computer at home as a windows 10 and I'm using 2 computers at work (one has windows 10) and that windows 10 computer at work, I like to use it as my radio and emails. So I added Iheart radio to that computer (which I had on my other computer at home). Then I logged in the Iheart Radio and for some godly reason, the computer at my work connected to my computer at home (wallpaper and log in password). So I'm a annoyed that I have to enter my personal password on my work computer which I never set up a password on...

Sure this could be something awesome but I'm annoyed because I didn't want to link my home computer with my work computer.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 09:58:47 PM »

Windows 10 is a giant step up from Windows 8, but it does take some getting used to. The most annoying thing to me is that they did away with Windows' ability to play dvds. Theoretically, optical drives are obsolete, so they did away with that feature. Microsoft seems to be under the delusion that Windows is a great operating system for tablets and phones, which it simply is not.

All that said, it seems to be reasonably stable, and networking is generally easy. Once you learn the way it works, it isn't bad.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 08:55:24 AM »

Have it in one notebook. I used ShutUp10 to remove the privacy issues.

I'm using Win 8 for a desktop and notebook, and it's better than Win 7. After installing Classic Shell, I was able to make it look like Win 7 in only a few minutes.

I still have Win 7 in some machines. It's OK, but the internals for Win 8 are much better.

I used Aegis to remove the privacy and other issues for Win 7 and 8.

Once I'm forced to use Win 10, I'll probably dual-boot (with a good open-source OS as the main) or run Win 10 in a virtual box.
AoTFan

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 02:28:48 AM »

Found this handy little page thought I'd share it.

Complete List of Windows 10 Shortcuts

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does anyone have Windows 10? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.