Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:37:38 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Andy Milligan: a genus not a hack! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Andy Milligan: a genus not a hack!  (Read 5022 times)
Chris K.
« on: March 30, 2001, 05:55:58 PM »

First of all, I read Andrew K's subject about Andy Milligan and he calls Milligan a hack and not a genus. Though it is his opinion and he has a right to it, Milligan is more of a genus than a hack. The real hacks were Milligan's producers William Mishkin and Jerry Balsam. Mishkin and Balsam always gave Milligan very little money to work with, and even so Milligan made his films work well on a low budget. In fact, Mishkin gave Milligan only $7,000 for the film BLOODTHIRSTY BUTCHERS (1970) and when Mishkin always complained about the films quality Milligan would say "you get what you paid for". Hell, even the film critics that saw Milligan's films when they were released said they were entertained by these films and were astonished at how Milligan could make a small budget work well in his films. THE BODY BENEATH (1971) is an example of a "good" Andy Milligan film.

Basicaly, Milligan was not a hack. His films rank on a much more higher scale than a big budget Hollywood film. Milligan actually put some effort in his films. Effort is hardly used in films of today and Milligan is a typical example of a director who actually tried hard. When Milligan made his first film LIZ, he financed the movie on his own with a budget of $7,500! That was HIS own money, not some sleezeball producer like William Mishkin financing the film or money he borowed from his Mom and Dad. Not many independent producers use their own money when it comes to making a film for they rely on a financer to produce the cash. But Milligan usually used his own money and that is what makes him talented and creative.  Plus his films awlays went to the nitty-gritty side of life. Milligan's films do not contain sappy-happy endings! His films contained the deeper sides of life and that is what makes him a genus.

So who were the hacks? Milligan's distributors of course. But Andy Milligan is a filmmaker who truely knew the meaning of the word "entertainment". It is a shame that Andy died of AIDS in 1991, for if he were alive today he would be interviewed and talked about due to his talent in low budget filmmaking. He even could have gone mainstream filmmaking if he were alive today!

If you have any questions about Andy's work ask away. And if you want to know the real reason why THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE! (1972) sucked so badly just ask me why and I will explain the whole story.
Chadzilla
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2001, 06:57:15 PM »

I believe that a genus is the greek name given to entire species of animals (i.e. homo erectus, etc).  Amusing grammatical error though.  "See those things clustered over there Ethel?  Those are Andy Milligans, don't see a lot of those - get the camera, quick!"

I saw one Milligan movie once on late night TV, aside from some truly wonky, and giggle producing, edit mistakes the only thing I remember is the part where a train is supposed to be arriving at this station.  They could not afford a train, nor multiple takes - so Milligan had everyone crammed into a single frame as somebody off camera shot off a fog machine at their feet to create the "billowing steam" of the approaching train.  Everybody started saying their "The trains here, better hurry up and catch it" lines and suffled off camera.  It was hilarious, yet inventive - I'll give Milligan that.
Chris K.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2001, 09:14:21 PM »

Yeah, I accidentaly spelled "genius" as "genus". My mistake. Of course, when you have very little time to go over the typos then that just shows how careless I am.

Also, what Andy Milligan movie did you see that featured the cheap train effect. Was it his film BLOOD! (1974) or LEGACY OF BLOOD (1978)? I have never seen those two films yet.

You are right, the effect was cheap but effective nonetheless. Pure Milligan classic. Just goes to show you how you can make it look good by using little money.
Chadzilla
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2001, 11:49:17 AM »

Legacy of Blood, I think but I could be wrong.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Andy Milligan: a genus not a hack! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.