Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:58:28 AM
713328 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Unexpected Movies That Have Stayed With You « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Unexpected Movies That Have Stayed With You  (Read 7368 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: September 18, 2016, 07:12:03 PM »

Some movies kind of haunt you I guess. Others just linger on in your memory. Some just unexpectedly end up being something you enjoyed more than you expected to and they seem to stay with you kind of I guess..kind of hard to explain it or put it.  But ya for some reason, that movie sticks out in my memory...sometimes I'm not even sure quite why...

Here's one of mine:

Small | Large

What's some that stay with you?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »

Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 07:11:53 AM »

Bad Taste  TeddyR TeddyR

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 08:36:17 PM »

Another one....

Small | Large

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:52:32 AM »

Even though I despise foreign films made about my country's history, the Richard Attenborough barf fest Cry Freedom has stayed with me since 1987: some of it was filmed in my home town of Gweru, Zimbabwe (as Attenborough was too scared to film in South Africa) and it is not such a bad film: both the performances of Denzel Washington and Kevin Kline are standouts.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:32:51 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
telegonus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 04:02:16 AM »

Surprisingly, The Astounding She-Monster. It tells an interesting story, the special effects are, admittedly, awful, yet something about its location, the isolated setting, lingers in my mind.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 07:27:13 AM »

I rented GRAVE ENCOUNTERS with zero expectations and it has become one of my favorite films.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Slinkyturd
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 04:01:20 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxlL4aC-H8s

Come join my facebook fan group for bad films, "Camp, Schlock, Flops, and B Movies": https://www.facebook.com/groups/186517041720723/
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 06:56:55 AM »

Surprisingly, The Astounding She-Monster. It tells an interesting story, the special effects are, admittedly, awful, yet something about its location, the isolated setting, lingers in my mind.

I love that movie. The drunken moll-and Keene Duncan's lousy attitude with her- reminded me of KEY LARGO.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »

Even though I despise foreign films made about my country's history, the Richard Attenborough barf fest Cry Freedom has stayed with me since 1987: some of it was filmed in my home town of Gweru, Zimbabwe (as Attenborough was too scared to film in South Africa) and it is not such a bad film: both the performances of Denzel Washington and Kevin Kline are standouts.

I'm glad you posted this, Trevor. I liked this movie quite a bit, but have been hesitant to say so since I know you don't like foreign films made about South African issues.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 03:33:36 AM »

I'm glad you posted this, Trevor. I liked this movie quite a bit, but have been hesitant to say so since I know you don't like foreign films made about South African issues.

I was planning to write a warts-and-all review of this film for our site but since you liked it, I won't be writing it.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
telegonus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 04:43:09 AM »

I love that movie. The drunken moll-and Keene Duncan's lousy attitude with her- reminded me of KEY LARGO.

Yes  Cheers. The Astounding She-Monster is sort of a low grade sci-fi riff on Key Largo with some Edgar Ulmer vibes that make it special. Its atmosphere, the isolated setting, is redolent of an early Perry Mason episode; ya' know, the kind in which he went on a literal "fishing expedition".

That Robert Clarke, an RKO conract player of a slightly earlier vintage than Burr, also appeared on PM may be a factor in the movie having that Perry-ish ambiance.

Kenne Duncan just about steals the movie in the acting department. He just plain looks evil and scary  Buggedout: he looks dissipated, the way Chaney, Jr. did in his later years; and he bears an uncanny resemblance to notorious bank robber Willie Sutton, also later on, not so much at the time the film was made.

For lovers of dirt cheap rustic Fifties sci-fi this one is about as good as it gets. The only film in the same genre that can give it a run for its money is maybe the 1956 The Werewolf, which is more straightforward and not so far out.
Fox Sake
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 02:57:52 AM »

"Les Diabolique"
"The 400 Blows"
"Au Revoir Les Enfants"
"The Seventh Seal"
"Pelle The Conqueror"
"F**king Amal"
"Hanabi"

All of the above are foreign films (mostly French), and nearly all are over 40 years old and in black & white. But I never tire of watching them when my brain yearns for something that requires its full attention. And I guess because they are foreign and NOT dubbed, I have to focus doubly-hard not only with reading the subtitles, but also following what is going on on-screen. But the delightful thing about these films is that you learn a little more on repeat viewings, which for me is a big bonus!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 03:25:13 AM »

In 2014 I had severe pneumonia that nearly killed me,  left me in a coma for 13 days and caused the doctors to tell. My family I had a 10% chance of survival and and not to expect me to regain consciousness. I did,  and spent the next two. Weeks in a gradually improving condition as my awareness slowly recovered.

During my slow return to full consciousness I saw the movie '9' on tv late one night as I was alone in a hospital bed.  I sort of liked it in my not fully cogent state.  I have not watched it since due to concern it might cause a flashback.

But I remember thinking it was good,  I'm. Note sure how operational my intelligence was at the. Time.. The staff said my recovery was an absolute anomoly.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 04:43:03 PM »

A River Runs Through It. I used to watch this with a friend in Texas whose older brother died, and he would tell me the relationship of the two brothers in that movie reminded him of how it was with them, him always trying to keep his thrill-seeking older brother out of trouble, and his brother was always pushing for one more, the next drug/fight/girl/fast car/adventure/card game, he'd even go hang out in the desert with these mean as snakes Comanche bikers and play cards and get high with them, and they hated white people, they hated all people, but he did it because it excited him, and it caught him out in the end, he died young from drugs. Always been a film that I love but he changed the meaning for me by telling me about all that he did about his own family.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Unexpected Movies That Have Stayed With You « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.